What's new

LOTR: ROTK- EE DVD case colour ? (1 Viewer)

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Blue is not an earthtone? Hello! What color is water?

IMO, I think RotK should be a nice fuschia. It would sure brighten up my DVD rack and pull the whole thing together :)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Water's just water and not earth (soil, sand, grass, etc).

I don't know. To me, blue won't fit with the earthiness of the other two cases, but at this point I doubt I really care.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Considering the lettering of the previous 2 EEs is gold, I'm pretty sure it won't be gold.

I'm almost certain ROTK will be blue. So what if blue isn't an earthtone. Blue along with red and green make up the three primary colors, so I think it fits in quite well, not to mention all the offical LOTR merchandise uses the RGB color scheme. Though I do believe it will be a dark blue, considering the other two DVD cases are pretty dark as well.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member

Uhm, that depends on who you ask. :)

My physiology is hazy at this moment, but I think you're cones (or rods, I forgot which) "see" in blue, red, and green. I asked the professor about that, and he wasn't sure why that was the case.

Dan M

Second Unit
green is a secondary color....it is a mixture of 2 primary colors blue and yellow..

I think the gold lettering would look lovely with a white cover....or a stone color like off white or grey

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
In lighting class, we are taught to put red green and blue gels on our strip lights, because they can be combined to make any color. I guess this would be because they are primary colors. I've never heard of yellow being one. BUT! Does anybody have the picture mentioned several times in this thread with all 3 EE's side by side. Post the damn picture!

Roy G. Biv

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
My god, I can't believe this thread is still page 1.

It will be BLUE, people.

Those of you hoping for a white/creme/tan/insert your own color here might want to go get some paints of your choosing so you can paint over the eventual blue case.

RobertW

Supporting Actor

but that's cause you're dealing with light, and not pigments. anyone who does any photoshop work at all knows the primary colors in the light spectrum are red, green and blue(rgb)

however, with dyes, inks and pigments, it's red, yellow and blue.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Nope, in light, there are three primary colors, red, green, blue (also known as RGB). There are three secondary colors, yellow (red plus green), cyan (blue plus green), and magenta (red plus blue). The pirmary colors are the fundamental colors of light, the secondary colors are made by mixing the two primary colors. In dyes, the three primary colors absorb two out of the three colors, and reflect only one. So in dyes, the three primary colors are cyan, magenta, and yellow. If you want further proof, look at any ink jet printer. There are three color inks, plus black, since pure black ink will look better then attempting to layer all three together (this is CMYK). Red, blue, and yellow are only the primary colors in the theoretical sense, when you get into either lights or dyes it's either RGB or CMY.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
WHY OH WHY DO SOME PEOPLE INSIST ON MAKING THIS DEAD ISSUE SO COMLICATED?

And where did this obsession with earth tones come from? At know time as it ever been established that they were using a earth tone theme for the DVDs. Therefore it becomes a perfectly ridiculous argument when earht tones are brought up. Blue, depending on the shade, could be considered a earht tone anyway, unless you do not consider the ocean to be part of the earth...

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor

At the risk of repeating what others have already said, I am gonna asnwer this again, because I just really, really want to.

IN elemntary school, we are taught, perhaps wrongly, that the primary colours are red, yellow and blue. We find out that if we mix red and yellow, we get oraange, etc. What this really is is a dumbed down version of what should really be taght. That is that the true primary colours, when it comes to pigments, are cyan, magenta and yellow, as seen in any ink jet printer. I guess out school systems think children are too stupid to learn what cyan and magenta are.

Things chnage of course when it comes to light, in which case the primary colour are red, green, and blue. Conicidently, as I do not belive this was the plan, the lord of the rings sets will be in the three primary colours.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Jeez, the mods should just close this thread. It's a dead issue. The case will be blue. Accept it.

Alex K.

Agent
It's not a dead issue, before everyone stops discussing it, so STOP RAINING ON OUR PARADE! :]

I find this very educating, actually. But i have not yet understood, how do you get a color like blue out of cyan, magenty or yellow?

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator
I feel I must chime in with my response.

I don't see why anyone would have it in there mind that the case will be any color other than blue. A dark blue at that.

It's funny that I read this now because the other day, before I even knew this was such a hot topic, I was going through my DVD collection and I pulled out the EE's to look at them side by side. My wife was in the room and I turned to her and asked her what color she thought the next DVD would be. She said she didn't know or didn't care, (I don't know which because I stopped listening as soon as she began speaking, like most husbands do.) Anyway, I told her that I thought it should be blue. She agreed. It just seemed logical to me, and a nice dark blue would seem to fit nicely when standing next to the other 2 covers.

Now mind you, I hadn't even seen the soundtracks, or really paid any attention to the dominant colors of the posters, so I had no idea that blue was a color that had been used on those. And yes, I do have the book, but it's the single edition with all 3 books in one, and that has a black cover.

Anyways, there's my 2 cents. Now let's let this issue resolve itself when we actually see an official picture of the case. The whole discussion on the colors is interesting though, keep that going.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks