What's new

LOTR DVD issues (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Rich Stone

Stunt Coordinator
Just a summary of my issues/problems with this disc:
First Disc:
Ripped cover due to the VERY significant security stickers on this DVD :angry: Be very carefull when removing these, I was and the blasted top one was stuck so tight it just wouldn't come off without damage. Took this one back without viewing.
Second Disc:
No layer change problem on my Proscan PS8680Z but TWO areas of pixelation: one just before kazhad-dum (around 2:08:30) and another in Lothlorien when Legolas walks across the screen (just before the mirror scene). This wasn't apparent on my Dell Inspiron Laptop DVD player but always occurred on the Proscan. Returned this one as well.
Third Disc:
Above pixelation not apparent. Haven't yet watched the rest of this disc (just a few chapters) nor the layer change but so far so good.
That said, this is a great DVD. Visual eye-candy and a very well mixed sound presentation as well. Yes it's loud but a simple volume adjustment brings things to reference. Can't wait for the extended edition - my wife thinks I'm crazy for buying both. :wink:
:wink:

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Confirmed.

Bought mine at Future Shop here in Calgary. It had a booklet of coupons for LOTR merchandise, and one of the coupons was for a rebate for 8 bucks. This was only for the 4-disc version. There is no mention of the 5-disc version with the bookends. (Hope it's gonna get released up here...and NOT with bilingual packaging...argh.)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The copies I saw had a sticker on the front saying there was a coupon book inside, while some didn't have the sticker. Mine had the sticker and a coupon book inside (A&B Sound). It was also $22.99, which Future Shop wouldn't price match, despite their "lowest price guarantee."

AFAIK, the US version has coupons for $5 off the 4 disc set, and $10 off the 5 disc set. The Canadian one makes no mention of the 5 disc set, which makes me wonder if it is being released up here. I've seen a couple of Canadian sites list it, but neither Futureshop or A&B Sound have it in their systems yet.

Also, does nanyone else find the wording on that coupon pretty vague? I doesn't really tell you whay you are expected to send in other than the proof of purchase and original receipt - but of what?

EDIT: I ahev emailed Alliance Atlantis about this. We'll see if they ever get back to me. I'm sure a lot of Canadians are wondering what the deal is here.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
The only problem with the coupon (and with most DVD coupons) is you have to cut the Proof Of Purchase off the cover art. I'd rather keep my cover intact than save the money.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The proof of purchase on the current release is just a corner on the insert sheet. I think I can live without it for $8. :)

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Damn, opened mine up yesterday and didn't see any coupon books. Bought it at Futureshop.

Patrick

Henry Woo

Agent
Patrick, I would phone up Future Shop and ensure that you get the coupon book from them. I phoned them and they were able to get me the coupons, which they took from a returned copy of the dvd.

Don't know if it was a Vancouver batch that didn't get them included or what. However as noted above, for the dvds at the FutureShop in Calgary, they had the coupons.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
No problems here. My old RCA handled the layer changes as quickly as any other DVDs I own, which is to say 'very fast'. Aside from blowing my eardrums to hell, the first disc was great.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Many people in Canada and the US didn't get coupons in their copies. I know I didn't. I'm trying to find a buddy who's not getting the EE and get his coupon if possible. Kinda strange that a bunch of copies are coming without them. I could see them missing one here and there, but this seems like more.

Ian Hay

Auditioning
I had a similar problem on my first copy, using a Panasonic RV32. Chapters 24-26 were entirely unwatchable, with heavy pixelization for a few seconds and then the image just freezing. I exchanged it, and my second copy appears to be without flaw. It appears, as others have noted, that the layer change occurs right at the start of Chapter 24.

It seems then that there is a pretty severe problem with a batch of DVDs, and that finding one of the bad ones is a bit of a crap-shoot.

Lafe F

Second Unit
A friend of mine told me yesterday that his Panny A120 wouldn't even read the discs (movie or special features). Actually it did, on the seventh or eighth try. He returned it, figuring it was buggy and got another one - but it did the same thing. He didn't say anything about a layer change problem though.
My Panasonic A120 plays it fine. I did notice a bit of pixellations around the middle of the movie when I was checking out each chapter, but I assume that it was just the player redrawing the screen with new bit info at the chapter jump. I guess I'll have to watch the entire movie through and see if any chunkies appear on their own.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
As I mentioned earlier, I had seen sets that didn't have a sticker indicating the coupon books, and ones that did, including at FutureShop (in the Vancouver area). There is a bright orange sticker on the cover saying "over $350 worth of coupons inside."

Chris M

Second Unit
I got the coupon book here in Calgary, was VERY disapointed that it didn't mention the 5 disc version. I would be led to believe that Canadians are gonna be F**k'ed over yet again with this.

Chris.

TomF

Stunt Coordinator
Just bought my copy at Target...no coupon book for a rebate on the November edition. I don't understand why they would give this deal to some but not others. Didn't we all buy the same two disc set? All mine had was a coupon on the outside for $1.00 off a liter of coke...gee, thanks :rolleyes

As I wrote earlier, I had a problem at the layer change. My DVD froze up and could not view chapters 24-25. Mine was a widescreen bought from Blockbuster.
I took it back and exchanged it for a Fullscreen version. It worked perfectly... no problems at all at the layer change.
BTW, I will be getting the 4-disk set in Widescreen, so now I can have a copies of the movie showing both views.

Jeff Holton

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed when I put in Lord of the Rings... I had to switch my projector to wide screen mode to get a non-distorted image. There didn't seem to be a way to switch this off in the menu. I have seen DVDs that "allowed" you to watch them in widescreen mode... but never one that "forced" you to watch it in widescreen mode...

I've never seen this... what do people do if you have a regular(tube) television that does not have a widescreen mode?

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Do you mean you have a 4x3 projector with a 16x9 mode, and that the FOTR DVD will only work properly if 16x9 mode is used?

What projector model are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks