What's new

Lost: Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

I thought I knew what was going on but after reading this I believe that I have no idea.

I still want to know what happened to all the kids that the Other's took in season 1.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Why is everyone saying that the woman can't be Faraday's mom? Because she had a different name w/Desmond?

Dream Police :laugh:

Libby says hi. :D

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Awesome episode!

I wonder if Faraday down in the Orchid at the beginning of the show means that he was there originally, and thus has now 'returned' to the island from the freighter, or if he eventually travels back in time to be there. Perhaps he is the cause of the 'incident'?

I also wondered who the new 'hostiles' on the island are? They seem to be much more vicious than the others. Rouseau's research team maybe? Since they are in the past island right now since there was no camp.

Is the butcher lady the same lady who said she was a 'sheriff' for the others and put Juliet on trial in season 3? The same lady who read Jack's tattoos? She said that she doesn't like to come to the island in that episode, and we've never seen her since. (Edit: Never mind, I just looked it up on IMDB and they are two different actresses.)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper

I think the main reason is that she appears to not be at Oxford. I thought that she would end up being Faraday's mom also. I think another reason that she isn't is because everyone thinks right away that she is his mom, and well, this is Lost after all, so it's never that simple.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
A few things I have questions about:

1) Faraday states that either the Island is moving through time, or they are. From that point forward in the episode, it is made clear that the people are moving through time. However, if that is the case, how did the Island disappear from sight of Jack and the others in the helicopter?

2 thoughts about that are:

a) The Island is also moving either through time or to alternate locations WHILE the people on it are moving through time.
b) Jack and friends on the Helicopter launched through one of the Vile Vortices and ended up outside of sight of the Island at the exact moment of the white flash (which seems much more unlikely to me than option a).

2)Faraday clearly states the rules about time travel in this episode - think of it like a street - you can go forward and in reverse, but you cannot create a new street. He also says that you cannot interact with another section of the timeline. He says this over and over when Sawyer is trying to get Desmond's attention. However, Desmond clearly heard the knocking because when Faraday comes to speak with him, Desmond says he's heard the knocking for 20 minutes. Also, when Locke goes into the past of the Island, he is shot by Ethan - a second time there is interaction with the different sections of the timeline. These interactions would in fact create a "new street" as a splintered branch of the timeline would have to be created to accommodate the alterations.

So the question is, is Faraday wrong or lying about the rules? Or am I just missing something? After all, though I am a fan of the subject, I do not hold a degree in Quantum Physics.

Cheers,

Jason

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Because it was clearly shown as such. Now, as I said, it could be more than that. Dream and vision are not mutually exclusive (although, see above).

The dream part of that sequence is indisputable. She saw that scene while sleeping ==> DREAM.

Now was the dream induced by the Island?

I say no, because the dream was merely a manifestation of Kate's conscience, i.e., keep the kid safe, and to NOT return him to danger. In the absence of anything extraordinary (in the litteral sense), there is no need to make that scene into anything other than what it appears to be: a dream.

It's the simplest, most rational, most elegant explanation: It does not contradict the fact that the Island wants them back.

Sometimes, even on LOST, a dream is just that, a dream...

That's my story and I am sticking to it until inevitably proven wrong. :P

--
H

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
You can't interact with different sections of the timeline if they aren't part of your timeline. Locke's getting shot and (later in his personal timeline but earlier in Richard Alpert's timeline) telling Richard Alpert about it has always happened. Sawyer hadn't previously met Desmond so he couldn't meet at the hatch exit.

Since Desmond is Faraday's "constant" and Desmond's consciousness has done some traveling in time, he is an exception.

Regarding where the island is "now" - I am thinking that it isn't quite "anywhere" yet. Ms. Hawking somehow knows how to track the island or at least figure out when it will reappear. I am thinking that the island has traveled forward in time ~3 years (how else are the Oceanic 6 going to meet up with it?) and in their personal timelines our survivors are being buffeted back and forth in the island's timestream. It is only if the Oceanic 6 can be at the right place in 70 hours will things sync up again. We'll see...

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

Faraday, when invoking the "street" anology, doesn't seem to mean that you literally cannot affect the timeline in *any way,* rather, you cannot change the timeline in any *meaningful* way. Simply put, you can do some things while dislodged in time, for example, you can eat that papaya that perhaps Sun was going to eat (so she eats a different papaya), or you can pick up the ping pong paddle and place it on the ground (so Hurley has to pick it up off the ground, instead of the table). However, you cannot meaningfully interact with another time period, where meaningful is meant to read change the major events in any way.

This has been a theme of the show: that the universe has a course-correction system, and that try as you might, you are ultimately unable to change the timeline.

However, that all being said, there appears to be a few individuals who are excluded from this rule. Desmond is definately one, of course. However, could Locke be, as well? Are the Others (does this perhaps explain the timelessness Richard seems to have? An immunity to time, but not space?)

Perhaps this is why Locke, as a child, was given "the test" by Richard. Those items might be from this season's "lost in time" arc, and the test is to see if John's consciousness is able to transcend space/time, enabling him to "sense" events from his future (note, this is not the same as literally seeing the future).

One last thing: perhaps the mysterious "voices" that have been present since season one are echoes of those who are time-shifted (shades of a Star Trek episode here - which wouldn't be the first time [no pun intended]).

cheers!

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Yeah, the whole "you can't change things in the timeline" bit, we've already seen in season 3 with Desmond trying to repeatedly save Charlie. You can interact with the timeline all you want, but ultimately what needs to happen is going to happen.

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit

I think the island moves physically (the scene with Ms. Hawking at the map seems to confirm this, with multiple Xs on it all over the Pacific Ocean), while the Losties move temporally as well.

As to why this is all happening, I have no clue.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Exactly. There are may different ways you can swerve down the "street", but ulitmately you're still going to the same destination. Even though Desmond could hear Sawyer's knocking it was ironically Faraday's insistance that you cannot change the past that convinced Sawyer to stop and kept time on course.

I'm starting to theorize that due to the island moving through time, the island itself needs to have constants to keep it from catastrophically destroying itself. This is why the Oceanic six must return in 2007 and the island was preventing Michael from killing himself. It's probably too simple and I'm usually terrible about predicting these things.

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
When the flaming arrows starting raining down, I thought maybe we were back in the era of the Black Rock, since that weaponry would be more appropriate to that timeframe. But since I don't believe there was another shift between the arrow attack and when Sawyer and Juliette ran into the nasty Dharmans, I guess that's wrong.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
At the beginning of the episode, Dr. Chang/Candle/Halliwax/Wickmund was shooting the orientation film for The Arrow and said that they plan defensive startegies against the hostiles there. Admittedly, you'd hope the Dharma Initiative could think of something beyond just using the name of the station as their entire defense plan.

Joe_H

Screenwriter

That reminds me, was the compass Alpert gave Locke in this episode one of the items from the test when he was a kid?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoy the show (except for the commercial breaks every 5 minutes). But, man this show makes my head hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks