What's new

Lost: Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Yeah, just noticed that was answered on the last page, which I was afraid to check for fear of spoilers. :laugh:

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
This may very well be the best television series of all time.

Excellent kick-off. Very well paced too.

John Swarce

Second Unit
I have to go to bed, but this start to Season 5 has my head spinning, so I probably won't be able to sleep much.

Who the hell is this Neil character???
V
V
V
V
V
V
Oh, wait....nevermind!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Nice touch by the writers there!
Back tomorrow after I think on this a bit.

--John

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Wow.

I have always found LOST season premieres to be a bit underwhelming (except the opening scene which is often great) rather than explosive like the finales, but this certainly was the exception.

When you take a step back and try to think of the extreme non-linearity of this 2h premiere, where even what would normally be the present (Sawyer, Juliette etc...) is also unstuck in time, when you think that despite all that the story never loses you, you realize what a phenomenal job the people behind this show have accomplished with this premiere (in with the series in general.)

--
H

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
One word: brilliant.

I (almost) feel a touch of sadness when I think of all those who gave up on LOST.

While I have always been a "die-hard" fan of the show, tonight's premiere (especially when seen in light of the entire series) solidified LOST as one of the greatest TV shows of all time.

For the detractors who endlessly spew such gems as "oh they are making it up as they," I would put forth the following: if that's the case, it seems to be a pretty damned good way to do things
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
Great episode tonight, can't wait for the rest of it now.

Frogurt :D as said above, at first I was like "who the fu....oh nevermind" hahahaha

Does anyone have any faith that the writers can wrap any of this up in a decent fashion that won't just end in disappointment? I feel like I'm being set up for a huge let down, because the show is so damn good and they have opened so many doors, I just can't see how they can wrap it up without it being a WTF moment at the end.
What ever they do I'm in for the full ride and loving every second of it.

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
So, I'm pretty sure most of us had it pegged from the beginning, but seeing Dr. Candle taking care of the baby at the start of tonight's episode all but confirmed in my mind that he's Miles' father.

I'm still wrapping my head around these "rules" of time travel.

So, could Faraday talk to Desmond because they had already met previously at Oxford? I wonder why Desmond didn't recognize him. Was it because though they had met in the "past" (taking a linear view of time), with respect to Desmond's consciousness it was still a future event? But then, how was present-day Desmond's consciousness tied in with it? Were there two consciousnesses (I'm so tempted to call them conscii) inhabiting Desmond's "past" self at that time, one of whom was the present-day Desmond in his sleep? Or, if the present-day consciousness temporarily displaces the old one (as "The Constant" seemed to imply), then what would be the point of Faraday's giving present-day Desmond instructions about events he'd already experienced and couldn't change anyway? Unless Faraday didn't know his efforts were futile, I guess. But he seems to have been pretty spot-on with his predictions up to this point.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Now that's how to kick off a season! A most excellent start to the season.

Hurley was gold this episode. His recap of what happened on the island to his mother was hilarious. ie "Yeah the 108 minute thing. I never really got that part." :laugh:

And his line to Sayid, 'You know if you ate more pleasure food maybe you wouldn't need to kill so many people.'

Plus he is the emotional heart and conscience of the show. He helped Sayid even when he told him he would not back on Penny's boat.

The time travel stuff is being handled well too. An object lesson for other shows. Heroes, nudge, nudge. Lay down the ground rules and stick to them.

The show continues to entertain, delight, and touch emotional chords. So glad its back.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
More likely, Desmond has/is a Constant, which is why he is "exempt" from the paradox rules that Faraday mentioned. (Desmond also heard Sawyer banging on the door; if Sawyer had persisted, Desmond would have answered eventually.) Desmond can therefore interact in "classic" time travel story mode, to make stuff happen.

I don't see much of an explanation why Desmond would suddenly "remember" at that particular moment. Faraday talked to him hours after the island first moved (again) and their timelines split, but when he wakes up with Penny, it's three years later. If they were actually "simultaneous" on separate timelines, I could see how this "new memory" would force itself to the surface while he was sleeping. But what happened is just much easier to follow for the viewing audience.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Based on these titles I am guessing that the 70 hours won't be done until the 5th episode, but you never know.

Ben has quite a network of people he's working with. I also thought that the woman at the end was going to end up being Faraday's mother in Oxford and was quite surprised to see she was working with Ben.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I know it sounds corny. But, I really hope when this all resolves that Desmond & Penny still are alive and together. Maybe, living on the island with the rest of the cast.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Still have no idea what's going on (mostly) but I am enjoying the ride.

Where have we seen the butcher chick Ben was giving orders to?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks