What's new

Long computer type Power Cord for Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Simon Ngan

Stunt Coordinator
I recently bought a Panamax 5300 and because of cable length for the subwoofer, I have to hook up the sub to different outlet. I was wondering if there's a place I can buy long power cord about 20'? I have a MartinLogan Descent and it uses the same type of power cable as PC. Any help is much appreciated,

Simon

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I take it you mean an extension cord. If so find out what ML recommends for the gauge and you can probably pick one up cheap at Home Depot.

Simon Ngan

Stunt Coordinator
Chu,

Thanks for the response. The sub power cable is detachable just like any computer power cord. I was hoping I could find some extra long power cord instead of using an extension cord. I just feel safer that way. But I guess an extension cord should work too as long as I'm using the right gauge. The cable that came with the subwoofer is not too thick but I can take it with me to Home Depot.

Thanks,

Simon

Steve_K

Auditioning
You may sleep better at night knowing your sub is plugged into your Panamax but, here's a few thoughts to reconsider using the existing outlet.

(1)Generally the more large current drawing components you plug into the Panamax, you will start to limit the overall sound dynamics of your system.
(2) All the source components are recommended to plug into the Panamax as they draw little current and will benefit from Noise filtration.
(3) Most audiophiles will plug larger Power amps directly into the wall with no surge or filtration
(3)With a high quality Sub like the Martin Logan you should use a short single Power cord for best performance(Deepest and tightest bass)
(4) If you still must use an extension, make sure to buy a 10 or 12 gauge extension chord.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks