What's new

Logan's Run BD this year?! (1 Viewer)

Heinz W

Second Unit
Bill Hunt has listed this in his Rumor Mill as one of the catalog titles that Warners is working on for a 2009 release. If true, it's about time! My DVD of this movie is 11 years old, the original MGM disc. It has been re-released by Warners, but not remastered. Same 11 year old transfer. While adequate for the early days of DVD it is anything but by today's standards.

I hope Warners takes the time to remaster and clean up this film as it will benefit tremendously from the HD treatment. From it's excellent cinematography and production design to it's underrated score by Jerry Goldsmith, this should look and sound fantastic on Blu. The work Warners did on the 2001: A Space Odyssey Blu shows me what they're capable of.

One of my childhood (and admittedly adult) favorites has long been one of the films most in need of a new transfer/disc. Not only a new disc this year, but on Blu to boot. Can't wait to see the specs. And Warners, please, no DNR!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Its one of my favorites too. Not to mention Jenny Augeter (sp?). She was the first girl i ever saw without a top, or anything else on. Stuck in a 13 y/o boys mind for years. Heck, i am 45 now, still stuck in my mind!
But, yes, it does offer more than her. Peter Ustinov's best role, if you ask me. Its a good movie, even if the effects are a tad dated now.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

They were dated the day the film was released! The little model city at the start was a hoot. Still a fun film though.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Not to quibble, but they became dated when Star Wars was released. Prior to SW, effects as you see in Logan's Run were the norm. The model city was pretty cool IMHO.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
First time I ever saw nudity in a movie. Could they even get away with that much in a PG film now? ;)

The short-lived tv series based on the movie would be a nice extra.

Heinz W

Second Unit
Those dated effects won an Oscar in 1977. Hard to believe, huh? The CG visual effects in Jurassic Park look dated, and that's a much newer film. You can say that about a lot of movies. They are, like all films, products of their time. It doesn't lessen my enjoyment of them one iota. I still enjoy the visual effects in King Kong (1933) just as much as I do those in The Dark Knight. It's all good to me, even if it's 'bad' compared to what we have today.

Logan's Run is no exception.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Please. I'd say JURASSIC PARK's effects are still in the top five CG effects in film history, and it took over a decade, with effects like CHRONICLES OF NARNIA's Aslan and the revamped KING KONG before CG ever began to match the photorealistic bar of quality set by JP in '93.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I think this is very encouraging, if it's true. Personally, I do not have an interest in LOGAN'S RUN, but it may open the door for two similar films of the sci-fi '70s I want in this genre -- WESTWORLD and SOYLENT GREEN.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

I'd like to think that was more for the Washington DC matte paintings than the model city, but, we'll never know.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
People can criticize so-called "dated effects" all they like; I'll take ANY of 'em over crap like a CGI cartoon Hulk.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
This will be a certain addition to the collection (Jenny Agutter--mmmm...excuse me, where was I? ;) ). However, I have to say Ustinov's best role has to be in Spartacus.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Let me just add, that while i do find the effects dated, i still enjoy them immensely! Some fantastic model work, and some of the most amazing matte paintings ever done. Like i say, its a good movie.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
This is one of those films that has always stuck with me and IMHO right in there with Outland and Screamers; two other films that deserve the BD trreatment!

Eric F

Screenwriter
It would be great if this was coming this year, but I'd still say it would be more likely if it was coming next year around the time the remake is released.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

If you want Soylent Green and Westworld then you'd better pray those get remade as CGI extravaganzas in the near future cause that's the only way they'll make it out on Blu-ray.

Blimpboy

Agent
Real Name
Darin
There was a deluxe laserdisc of Logan's Run that had many extras not ported over to the SD release. I hope they could be found as well.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

At least the CGI Hulk actually approaches the look of the comic character. That is more than I can say for painting a musclehead green. I don't get the hate for CGI characters, even when their use is appropriate. There are some characters, especially in comics, that dictate the use of CGI because real actors can never approach the proportions required.

There are a lot more movies that deserve to be released on BD before Logan's Run. LR hasn't aged well in almost any regard.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
My problem with the LR effects is not that they're dated, but cheesy. The Roscoe Lee Browne robot looks silly compared to, say, Robby the Robot, made a full 20 years earlier. The guns with the little flame jets also looked silly compared to earlier ray gun effects.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I don't think the Sandmen guns were ever meant to be like ray guns. Especially since there are lasers elsewhere in the film.

It's kind of interesting the hologram FX in the Star Wars films seem more "real" to people than the real ones of Michael York in the interrogation scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks