What's new

Leon: 10th Anniversary Edition coming "later this year" (1 Viewer)

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
the superbit has the same missing surround channel problem from the original LEON dvd - but they never corrected it.

am i mistaken, or does this deluxe edition not have a dts track?

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
One of my favorite films.

I never bought the Superbit version since the reviews were less than stellar. I will probably wait for the reviews on this one before double dipping as well.

Then again, I could just wait for the Blu Ray version! :)

I've been looking through this thread trying to find a reason why I should upgrade from my "corrected" Intl. Cut.
Are the only reasons DTS and three making of features?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Well it's labeled "Leon: The Professional", which is what the uncut version is called, so I'd drop the "almost".

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

If you search for the earlier Leon threads, I believe there is one from a few months back in which Natalie Portman was said to have recorded a commentary track. I believe the source was a Portman fansite of some kind that quoted her. You should be able to find that information pretty easily.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Despite what she said, actors tend to get commentary and interview mixed up, although an interview is technically commentary. :)

Peter Svensson

Second Unit

I´m not sure of course, but considering what Columbia did to the new UE of Fifth Element, I would say that it´s likely that the disc is exactly the same as the Superbit disc. In other words, we get the uncorrected soundtrack once again.

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
I waiting to upgrade (from Superbit) until I know this is the International and has DTS..............

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
First of all, the Superbit is the International version. Second, the new edition will have a DTS track. I´ve not heard anything else.

http://dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=13197

No reason to upgrade. The only reason (except for the extras) to upgrade is a corrected DTS track.

But as I wrote before, there is a big risk that the new edition will be exactly the same as the Superbit release, but with a different packing and some extras. Columbia usually doesn´t add DTS to non-Superbit titles anymore. So it surprised me when Fifth Element got a DTS track. But it turns out that the new UE is the exact same disc as the Superbit edition (plus extras and a different packing). So when Leon gets a DTS track, I´m rather concerned that this release also will be exactly the same as the Superbit, featuring a faulty DTS track.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
On the bright side, I can confirm that this is the International cut.

According to VPD's Close Ups catalog from last week, Leon, The Professional: Deluxe Edition is the "unrated" version, which of course is the international one. The price -- the recommended shelf price, I forget what you call it :) -- was $24.99. Pretty fair pricing, if you ask me.

Gary Burdick

Stunt Coordinator
If it's called Leon then it's the "extended" edition by default. Otherwise it would be called The Professional.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Further details: VPD is now listing the new Deluxe DVD as a "special SuperBit presentation". I'm guessing it's the same sound mix as the previous SuperBit release.

One question about that sound, though. In the review of the SuperBit release at The Digital Bits, they mention that the sound is different in that the rear speakers aren't as active. Is that what you guys mean when you talk about defects in the sound? Because the guys at the Bits seemed to think it was a deliberate choice in the sound-mix...

If that were the case, I'm not worried at all.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
It lacks sorround and bass. Here´s the backcover. Notice the DTS symbol and the Superbit logo. Go for the R3 edition with both cuts and lovely digipacking or the corrected R1 edition instead.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

That review's clearly wrong. If the less-active mix was just a "choice", why'd they issue a corrected one? CTS dropped the ball with the first Leon and then fixed it. They then dropped the ball AGAIN with the Superbit version but DIDN'T fix that. If the 2005 DVD again goes with the wrong audio, I'd skip the release.

When I reviewed the Superbit Leon, I directly compared the correct and incorrect mixes. Here's the link if you want to see my thoughts:

http://www.dvdmg.com/leonsuperbit.shtml

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks