232. The All-Night Party

233. Beaver Sees America

234. Family Scrapbook

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

Of course, sometimes the network interferred and rearranged the air order, which clutters up this whole issue.

Sometimes? Frequently the order in which some series were aired was a network decision, and creators weren't given much input at all. NBC aired I Dream of Jeannie in such a ridiculous order in early seasons that things are referred to that haven't even happened yet, as when Dr. Bellows tells the IRS auditor that Tony had $3,000,000 in his Christmas fund account, which hadn't aired yet.

There is no "right" or "wrong" in this debate. Depending on the series, one may work better than the other, but rarely if ever, were either done for any artistic choice or audience consideration. They were decsions made by execs for particular reasons during those particular weeks.

And or course, the great thing about dvd is that it makes it easier to watch in whatever your preferred order is.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
What order to watch the episodes almost has to be decided on an episode by episode basis.

Another example of the air date order being messed up can be found in the soon to come "The Lucy Show - Season 2."

"The Loophole in the Lease" is listed as Season 2, Episode 12, December 23, 1963.

However, it was originally scheduled as Episode 9, November 25, 1963.

All network shows were cancelled on November 25, 1963, the day of President Kennedy's funeral.

Rather than push forward all episodes, they showed "Loophole" on December 23, which was originally scheduled to be a rerun of the Christmas episode from Season 1.

The minor problem with this is that in "Loophole," Lucy refers to what happened in the previous episode, Episode 8, "Lucy Decides to Redecorate."

So, "Loophole" should really be watched in the Episode 9 slot, not Episode 12.

And for those of you who are thinking I need to get a life -- hey, this IS my life!

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator
Sup!?

I just picked up LITB Season 3!!!! WOW!!! It is like a dream! The clarity is stunning! You can even see the hairspray on the actors and detail everywhere you look! Some of June's dresses have a glowing affect that kind of fades in and out. Has anyone noticed this? A very mild imperfection compared to how the series looks so far! This is great!

I watched "Beaver's Prize" the other day, and watch the scene in the den, I think it's the scene where Ward is telling Beaver that he can't keep the bike he won by being dishonest. Does Jerry seem to have a black eye in that scene? It looks like it! I am almost positive that it is in that episode, or maybe "School Bus" But it is definitely Beaver and Ward talking in the Den. If it's not in that episode, it's in the other.

Jack

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator
I think the episode, "Beaver Makes A Loan" is shorter than the others,

I could not find any added scenes between the DVD and TV Land's, or Syndicated versions. What might be cut from TV is Beaver's football game, where he is playing by himself in the front yard, but I am not sure of this. Can anyone varify this information?

Jack

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

Originally Posted by JohnMor

There is no "right" or "wrong" in this debate. Depending on the series, one may work better than the other, but rarely if ever, were either done for any artistic choice or audience consideration. They were decsions made by execs for particular reasons during those particular weeks.

And or course, the great thing about dvd is that it makes it easier to watch in whatever your preferred order is.

But the point is the producers have an intended order and then the network has their order to suit the needs of their first broadcast.

STAR TREK should be watched in production order - there's a logical developent to the style and look of the show,the developent of the characters and quality of the scripts. NBC dictated how the episodes aired heavily - MAN TRAP as the first aired as it had a "monster"? please.

Unless storylines,production or situation forced the producers to shoot out of order (Such as an actors availablity or pregancy) it it should be watched a certain way, then a show should be watched in the order produced as intended. MISSION:IMPOSSIBLE is one of those shows where they needed to shoot out of order due to pregancy.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I got my season 4 in the mail today. I found it odd that it didnt have a slipcover like season 3. I wonder if all the 4th season sets are like that.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Whizzing through this set , it has some real standout episodes, besides in the soup. It has Eddie at the top of his game. It also has more interaction, in this season from beaver and wallys friends. If I rated the seasons from favorite to least it would be 4,3 , 2,5,6,1. Although my opinion on seasons 5 and 6 could change, when I get those. Havent seen those since 2003

BrianP

Supporting Actor
Looks like it's now a bittersweet year for Leave it to Beaver fans. RIP June Cleaver.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=11898270

Barbara Billingsley, best known as the 'perfect mom' on TV's 'Leave it to Beaver,' dies at 94
The Associated Press

By BOB THOMAS Associated Press Writer

SANTA MONICA, Calif. October 16, 2010 (AP)
Barbara Billingsley, who gained the title supermom for her gentle portrayal of June Cleaver, the warm, supportive mother of a pair of precocious boys in "Leave it to Beaver," has died. She was 94.

Spokeswoman Judy Twersky says Billingsley died early Saturday at her home in Santa Monica. She had suffered from a rheumatoid disease.

She acted in a number of roles in movies from the mid-1940s to the mid-1950s, but it wasn't until "Leave it to Beaver" that she became a star.

When the show debuted in 1957, Jerry Mathers, who played Beaver, was 9, and Tony Dow, who portrayed Wally, was 12. Billingsley's character, the perfect stay-at-home 1950s mom, was always there to gently but firmly nurture both through the ups and downs of childhood.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
Here's another chance to pick up Leave it to Beaver complete series cheap. Amazon has it currently on sale for $86.99 and shipping is free.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0038SUBDC/ref=nosim/dvdtalk

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I thought some people here might get some use out of this "Leave It To Beaver DVD Quick-Reference Episode Guide" that I created recently.

Even though each of the LITB DVD sets includes a booklet listing the episodes, I think an at-a-glance guide like this one is still useful. I like being able to see all the episodes from all seasons at a quick glance, so I made this list.

Small version.

Larger view.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Nice list by David Von Pein, just too bad the episodes aren't in production order on the DVD's. For continuity purposes, I prefer watching the shows in production order. For those interested, in this thread on pages 36 and 37, I posted a listing of the episodes in order of production.

If watching the episodes by airdate order, sometimes the errors in continuity are obvious. For example, in season 6 the first three episodes produced were Wally stories: "Wally's License", "Wally Buys A Car", and "Wally's Dinner Date". These three episodes obviously are linked together, but original airdates have these episodes separated and to make it worse they were shown in the wrong order. And the 4th episode produced for season 6, "The Clothing Drive", was not aired until the next to last episode of the season. An obvious continuity error there as this is a school based episode when in previous episodes Beaver already had his graduation! There are other continuity errors in the series resulting from episodes not being aired in production order, these from season 6 are just a few examples.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
But they didn't want to show three Wally episodes in a row -- that's the entire point! That's why air order is different from production order.

"The Clothing Drive" is clearly out of place, but my theory on that one was that it was a substandard episode -- by new writers and director, I believe -- and they held off on showing it until the very end of the series, except for the obvious finale "flashback" episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks