What's new

Need help with some old DVDs! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm purging my disc collection and placing my DVDs into Binders because I'm running out of disc storage space. The following series I have on DVD, but later on bought them again on Blu-ray or I bought the complete series on DVD. Is there any reason why I should keep the DVDs like missing bonus material or even the Blu-ray having a cut episode? Any help would be appreciated by yours truly.

The Fugitive (Season One replaced by DVD of Complete Series)
1685870347877.png
1685870396920.png

Mission: Impossible (Seasons 1-3 replaced by Blu-ray of Complete Series)
1685870489209.png
1685870518082.png
1685870547404.png

The Outer Limits (Original Series replaced by Blu-ray)
1685870671150.png
1685870698337.png

Lost in Space (Original Series replaced by Blu-ray)
1685870922997.png

The Untouchables (First Two Seasons replaced by DVD Complete Series)
1685871184789.png
1685871219158.png

Leave It to Beaver (First Two Seasons replaced by DVD Complete Series)
1685871305884.png
1685871329194.png

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I'm purging my disc collection and placing my DVDs into Binders because I'm running out of disc storage space. The following series I have on DVD, but later on bought them again on Blu-ray or I bought the complete series on DVD. Is there any reason why I should keep the DVDs like missing bonus material or even the Blu-ray having a cut episode? Any help would be appreciated by yours truly.

The Fugitive (Season One replaced by Blu-ray of Complete Series)
View attachment 186252 View attachment 186253

Mission: Impossible (Seasons 1-3 replaced by Blu-ray of Complete Series)
View attachment 186254 View attachment 186255 View attachment 186256

The Outer Limits (Original Series replaced by Blu-ray)
View attachment 186258 View attachment 186259

Lost in Space (Original Series replaced by Blu-ray)
View attachment 186260

The Untouchables (First Two Seasons replaced by DVD Complete Series)
View attachment 186261 View attachment 186262

Leave It to Beaver (First Two Seasons replaced by DVD Complete Series)
View attachment 186263 View attachment 186264

Personally, I believe I'd get rid of all those originals if you have the all-in-ones for them on either DVD or Blu (or both-in-one in case of The Outer Limits), because if you have the series one way (in full or in part), why have it another way at the same time (Blu alongside DVD, or vice versa)? After all, IMO, when you got the all-in-ones of them, you did get the series in full, and such releases are major upgrades from the way you had them originally.

In the case of Beaver, those Universal singles (single seasonal releases) were doubles (double-sided), and Shout!'s all-in-one is single-sided, so if you ditch the doubles from Universal, you'll have, it appears to me, a Beaver collection that works for you.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
If I recall past threads here accurately, one of the teasers/cold opens in a season 1 episode of Leave it to Beaver on the Universal set is completely different than on the Shout Factory version that used Universal's modern transfers. The teasers also are correctly located before the episode introduction, unlike the Shout Factory release where they play after the introduction.

Is it worth hanging on to the original season 1 set? I'm not so sure, especially given that it's on those awful flippers that Universal was in love with for a little while and since we're only talking about a single ~30 second scene. But since they're differences from the Shout Factory release, it's at least worth noting. The deciding factor I suppose is if you care that the teaser is in the wrong location on each episode.

While I own the Shout Factory set, I'm just curious enough about the episode with an alternate teaser that I'll probably buy the cheap reissue that Universal did on single sided discs that combined season 1 and 2 back when Shout Factory was releasing their sets (Shout Factory's license didn't allow them to do a standalone season 1 or 2 set). But I'm not curious enough where I'd bother if it meant getting another set with their infamous DVD-18's.

As far as I'm aware Universal's season 2 set lacks anything noteworthy for differences. Shout Factory's release includes every episode from that season in complete form with superior video/audio compared to the original release (and no flippers). And there was no bonus content of any sort on the Universal set, so nothing remains exclusive to it.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The Fugitive - I don't know about any special features on those discs but do know those you have are likely the early releases with the original musical cueues replaced by some electronic junk (there's a very long thread here which contains lots of information about the various issues with the releases. Most of it's from @Carabimero, who was instrumental in getting CBS to correct those discs and release fully corrected versions - and they messed that up, replacement disc program instituted, later released a compact version which *also* had issues and its own replacement program - it's a mess and worth reading that thread depending on which "all-in-one" set you purchased and when it was purchased).

Mission Impossible - I can't think of any reason to keep the DVDs. The BRs do at least offer the original mono audio as an option and they look better, plus it's a more compact, though IMHO an inferior packaged, edition.

If you own the later BR of The Outer Limits you may want to at least pull the episode guides from those DVD sets. IIRC, Kino only included guides in the original releases of the BRs and dropped them when they went to standard viva style cases. Otherwise, those look like the original sets which were on DVD18s and are highly problematic (I went through at least 2 copies of S2 before getting one that fully worked and later had a disc go bad in S1 which prompted me to replace my DVDs with the Australian DVD release). I don't recall if there are any special features though - I rarely pay attention to them.

Lost in Space - Dump those DVDs. They are not done well and are just space wasters.

The Untouchables all-in-one uses the exact same discs as the individual seasons. Dump them.

Leave it to Beaver - As has already been mentioned, if you own the original Universal releases there's a single teaser in S1 you may want to keep that set for. Otherwise, they're on those highly problematic DVD18s and have a higher chance of going bad (usually at the layer change) than do other discs.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Magnum P.I. (Complete Original Series) was one of those series I had on DVD that I just placed in one of my nice leather binders. However, I just decided to upgrade to Blu-ray after seeing Best Buy had it on sale and then finding out that Amazon doesn't have it any longer. Plus, I had some BB gift rewards about to expire so I got the set for about $45. Once the Blu-ray set arrives, I'll just ditch the DVDs and slide in the Blu-ray discs.

Jay*W

Second Unit
Teasers on Shout’s Leave it to Beaver first season set are misplaced after the opening credits, I believe.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The Untouchables all-in-one uses the exact same discs as the individual seasons. Dump them.

Why do some releases of this kind (as from CBS [now Paramount Global], who owns The Untouchables) use the same discs as in the seasonals, while others use different labeling?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks