What's new
World Wide Stereo

Klipsch KLF 30 vs. Def Tech BP 10 (1 Viewer)

danielt888

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Current setup:

Denon 1082 receiver
Klipsch SC-1 Center channel
Klipsch KSW 15" Subswoofer
Klipsch KLF 30 Main

I want to know if Def Tech BP10 would be a better main speakers than KLF30...

Thanks!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
What your ears and wallet tells you is the best judge of a speaker.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
While both speakers are built well IMO and employ solidly-researched technologies, the DT speaker is not going to sound like the Klipsch - different sonic "personalities" in other words - so CB750 is correct when he says only your ears can tell you if you like one or the other. So just like with food, cars and women, each person has their opinion of what is good and what is not.

That being said...........

From a purely emotional/gut level perspective, the Klipschs are going to blow the DTs out of the water (I was very close to buying a pair of KLF-20s when Tweeter was blowing them out back around 2003, and am familiar with what this series sounds like).

Because in my opinion there is NO WAY the Definitive's dual 6.5" woofers can possibly compete with the KLF-30s' dual twelve inch woofers as far as bass output - depth and volume of bass - and to me the KLF's horn mid and tweeter will provide more of a you-are-there feel than the 1" domes of the Definitives. Plus the DTs' bipolar nature will also make them sound different in other ways. Horns can sound really different than most other types of drivers & most people either love them or hate them. I will admit to usually liking more laid back sounding speakers than the KLFs, but I'm attracted to speakers like these (and certain Cerwin-Vegas) because they are so fun to listen to and are kind of a guilty pleasure i.e. to me they are much like a roller coaster: I wouldn't want to be on one all day, but while I am riding it it sure is fun! Plus they would great for my ska, punk & funk-influenced music I listen to.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
"Because in my opinion there is NO WAY the Definitive's dual 6.5" woofers can possibly compete with the KLF-30s' dual twelve inch woofers as far as bass output - depth and volume of bass"

If this is your only criteria - then note he has a 15" Sub (Klipsch KSW 15 Subwoofer) to handle the bass - so the speakers themselves only have to go down to 80 - 100 HTz and the sub will handle the rest...Having two 6.5" woofer would be more than enough.

The problem I see is that his current system is matched - then he would be changing just the mains - so his panning and sound matching would suffer. If he is not happy with the current setup, then he should replace the entire line for a matching one. I would not recommend mixing/matching these two...

danielt888

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Thank you for all of your inputs.
For music, KLF is an excellent choice. The sound is very clear, direct, and precise. I've read that KLF30 is not a good choice for movies. Is that correct?

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I am not sure why they wouldn't make a good choice for movies, and actually many people like Klipsch for movies because they are clear/direct/precise. I dunno - maybe they are really thinking of their physical size when they say that?

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott
I gotta agree here. When I had a set of JBL "matched" front and center channel speakers I thought I was in HT heaven. Then I used the Avia disk and found I was not timbre matched.

Long story short is that HT timbre matching is important but not as noticable until cetrtain scenes or the dreaded calibration disk is used.

However the Klipsh and DefTech sound is completely different IMO.

I have the middle brother (KLF 20) and can say that they are a fine choice for movies. They also work very well with music, but having said that as noted above they are horn loaded and have a unique sound that some people don't like. I find it is a "live, you're there" sound which I like. One advantage I find with the larger speaker (and yes I am running a pretty hefty sub as well) is crossing it over at 60 hz as opposed to the standard 80. I just prefer the way it blends in with the rest of the system. I always want to upgrade something, but never the big Klipsch speakers. They are probably the last thing I would upgrade as there is so much more I need to do 1st

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BioProf
Recent bookmarks