What's new

Just saw Moulin Rouge... (1 Viewer)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I think it should be used as a test for anyone considering marriage. If you don't agree on Moulin Rouge, don't get married!
I guess this means the my girlfriend and I are a perfect match. I disliked MR, but she literally vomited afterwards.
(The film brought on a migraine headache for her, which I believe is a first)
DJ

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
As the person who stirred up this hornet's nest (and I sincerely apologize), perhaps I should explain my feelings in more detail:
When I watched Moulin Rouge, it was immediately after we watched the best, most original musical I've seen in years -- HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH. I went from brilliant original songs by Stephen Trask to rehashed covers. I went from breakthrough performances from John Cameron Mitchell, Miriam Shor and Michael Hitt to what seemed to be detached soulless performances from Ewan McGregor, Jim Broadbent and Nicole Kidman (who really should have been nominated for THE OTHERS instead). I went from long sustained camera work to the Michael Bay school of editing. I went from an original and moving portrayal of someone dealing with their own sexual duality to a cliched doomed relationship story. Perhaps if I had not seen Hedwig immeditately before Moulin Rouge, I would have enjoyed it more. That this movie was nominated for best editing is beyond my comprehension, since most of the shots with potential were interrupted by the editing in my opinion.
That being said, Moulin Rouge did have a lot going for it. I really enjoyed the production design and I thought it was very inventive (although I would have liked the camera to dwell long enough upon it for me to take it in). I was surprised at how good Kidman and McGregor's voices were. I enjoyed John Leguizamo, who I think will eventually become a great actor (if he finds the right roles). Though they weren't as good as the original music in Hedwig, I did find the songs in Moulin Rouge to be at least somewhat entertaining, if just for the novelty. It reminded me of a band called Me First And The Gimme Gimmes, who do brilliant punk rock covers of broadway show tunes and songs from the 70s and 80s.
If Moulin Rouge gets Hollywood interested in keeping the art form of the musical alive, then that is nothing but a good thing. Perhaps then we can continue to see movies like Hedwig sneak in under the radar. That being said, I will likely revisit Moulin Rouge soon now that I've had some distance from it.
Hey, I love XANADU... Maybe none of you should listen to me. :D

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
First off let me say I loved the movie...thought it was great. Second, let me say also that I am not a critical viewer. I don't look for editing, cinematography, etc...I just enjoy the movie or I don't...and I thoroughly enjoyed this film but can easily see why many did not.

With that being said, I don't understand the mentality of some posters here on HTF. A member of the forum posts that he loved the movie. He didn't post saying that he wanted to know if others out there did not like it, or ask for criticism of the film in any way shape or form.

So why do so many others feel the need to jump into the thread and justify their position on this film? If you don't agree with the consensus, just move on and go to another thread. There are many things I do not agree with that are said on this forum and unless the statements are factually incorrect, it's simply flame inducing to even justify with a differing opinion. Posting against the grain of a thread based on opinion simply incites ill will and hard feelings.

I agree honest, good natured discussion is paramount to this forum and debate is welcomed here in many ways, it seems almost stupid to turn a thread into an insult laden, ego boosting, pointless exercise.

Again, just my opinion.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I think it should be used as a test for anyone considering marriage.
Perhaps. I've said it before, but I'm a very lucky lady. My husband is an unabashed romantic, and he loves Moulin Rouge as much, if not even more, than I do. We watch it while holding hands. We grin, we laugh, we cry at all the same places. We've been together 20 years, and watch this movie as one person. It's quite wonderful.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
So why do so many others feel the need to jump into the thread and justify their position on this film?
Debate. You're only flaming if say something to the ilk of "Fuck you, this film sucks balls." As long as the counterarguments are respectful and backed up with something, it shouldn't be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks