What's new

Jurassic Park DTS-Return Yours Now!!! (1 Viewer)

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
If you have the original release of JP (DTS) version without the Bass-Audio remix, you can return to Universal for a FREE replacement. Thank goodness Universal Studios Home Video is stepping up to the plate on this mistake!
If your DVD has the code # D2R1 on the inside hub this is the earlier production disc. If yours has D2R2 and a red technical grid on the back of the packaging, then you have the corrected version.
For complete description of return policy go to www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa43.html
I will be returning mine this week!
------------------

Jeff

Supporting Actor
...and a red technical grid on the back of the packaging
I read this at the bits and I'm a little confused. I thought you couldn't tell the difference from the packaging. Is there a scan of the back of the old disc and the new disc?
Thanks,
Jeff

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
John: I thought only a WS version was available with DTS audio soundtrack. I was aware there was three versions of this disc.
1.) JP 4:3 format
2.) JP WideScreen
3.) JP WideScreen DTS
I have never seen the JP 4:3 DTS version.
Jeff: That is what I gather from the DigitalBits report, I will have to check it myself when I get home this A.M.
Darren Mortensen
------------------
[Edited last by Darren Mortensen on August 22, 2001 at 05:43 AM]

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, I just got home from work and checked out my DVD. I do indeed have the "Bass Inept" version! This was tricky to ascertain. But by looking at the top of your disc, near the center, you can see faint print around the holes parameter when the lights catches it just right. Look CAREFULLY for the numbers mentioned to determine which disc you own.
------------------
Darren in Kansas City

Jonathan Gross

Auditioning
So what's the deal? I got the DTS version of JP and LW when they shipped. So does the NEW DTS version of JP have a more noticeable audio quality difference than the original? I always thought that the DTS version of JP was lacking in the LFE area. Thanks.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
has anyone read this on the first page of www.dvdreview.com ........
In other news, Universal Home Video is considering to release a different DTS version of Jurassic Park. Although the existing version of the DVD is in no way faulty, purists claim that the DTS track found on the DVD contains less bass reproduction than the original theatrical version. Strangely enough, however, the DVD contains the original theatrical DTS track, so it is more likely that those listeners compare the DVD to a potentially fattened up laserdisc version of the film. Be that as it may, Universal is considering to release a beefed-up version of the DTS track, but neither date nor details are available at this time. It is important to understand however that the current version of the DVD is not defective!
------------------
"who needs padding when you can have quality over quantity? more isn't always better." just my 2 cents on post count padders.-----

Jonathan Gross

Auditioning
Thanks for the post Tony. I am going to hold on to mine and wait for a "beefed" version from Universal if it ever comes.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
It's been out quiet sometimes now!
I bought mine about a month ago,yes the bass had been "improved".
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
quote: Strangely enough, however, the DVD contains the original theatrical DTS track[/quote]
Crap :) They moved a lot of the bass from LFE to the mains and the LFE level itself is 4db down on what it should be (even compared to the Dolby track). It's not the theatrical DTS track but a crapped-up version of the same one used for the DD version.
It is important to understand however that the current version of the DVD is not defective!
Crap again. The 4db deficiency isn't supposed to be there.
[Edited last by Rob Gillespie on August 23, 2001 at 04:24 AM]

DanR

Supporting Actor
Thank you Dr. Rob. You beat me to it.
Basically, there's too many "know-it-alls" on the internet that have no idea what the hell they're talking about. I'm glad people like you are here to tell it like it is!!!
Regards,
Dan

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
DanR:
Could you explain your last comment. I am not sure what you mean, and do not want to be reading into it incorrectly.
Regards,
Darren Mortensen
------------------
Darren in Kansas City

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Darren M,
I believe DanR is referring to the dvdreview.com statement that the mix is the original. That is a direct quote from Universal's press release, not a legit part of the review. It should have been noted as such, or we have to assume the author of the statement agrees, in which case Dan's comment about a "know-it-all" is 100% correct, being that the statment is faulty.
Matt
------------------
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Has anyone received a replacement disc from Universal yet? My return is going on three weeks and change, and still nothing...
Gary
------------------

DarrenA

Second Unit
I believe that Universal has stated that the returns would take 4 to 6 weeks! Seems like a riduculous time period to wait, but we are talking about Universal here. Let's hope they make a huge DVD rebound soon as they dominated this summer's box office!
------------------
DarrenA
The Academy Home Theater

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
What is very interesting is that I just picked this up at J&R Music World 2 days ago.
It does NOT have the red tech box on the back, yet it does have the d2r2 code.
Dugger

DanR

Supporting Actor
Chris,
Quite plainly, Universal DVD is fucked up right now. Of course the one you saw doesn't have the red grid, neither does mine. They are making this up as they go along.
I truly believe Universal is only doing what they are trying to do now because they got "caught". They still don't care about their customers, and are treating this solely as a public relations nightmare that needs fixing.
The bottom line for me is that I just don't trust Universal anymore. (Please also refer to The Mummy Returns and the Ultimate Edition / DTS thread as further evidence of why we shouldn't trust these guys.)
Regards,
Dan

ernie smith

Auditioning
Name of Shakespeare Play: MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING,
which equals difference in new dts from old dts JP
Threads about this topic remind me of:
1.Abbott & Costello's "WHO'S ON FIRST"
2.The tongue twister in THE COURT JESTER-how did it go? The vestle with the pestle, or something like that.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks