What's new

I've got a new dog! (2 Viewers)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This just about sums up old Golden Retrievers for me...

QnhzCrj.gif

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Here's my group with new pictures and updaters.

Scooter grew a fatty tumor on her breast. If she'd grown a second one I'd be shopping for b cups. It actually grew to a D cup had to come off. Also a weird place on her leg that started small then "grew angry" (vet speak). I took her in and they removed those and a "mass in her mammary" and her uterus that was "the biggest we've ever seen". She's like new again without all the mutated enhancements. Real proud of her, she just came home and was better, stronger faster... ($6M Man theme here) Just need to grow her hairs back over all those scars. Here she is in the box bed I made for Kayla.

1918108_951586421544239_4927911840472894867_n.jpg

"Scooter-in-the-box"

Kayla started acting lethargic so I took her in. Some kind of infection and her uterus was "full of puss". cut cut snip snip stable stable stable stable. (1 day later) chew chew chew spit spit spit... oops! staple staple staple again. and fitted for the cone of shame. :D But she did good so I never put it back on her. She's 110% now.

1453375_951586334877581_8310159176767885417_n.jpg

"Not me... those staples just fell out!"

Honey Bun has swelling on a ankle but they said wait and watch. I'll have her spay soon as well. I don't know what I'll do without the periodic 3 way humping entertainment floor show every once in a while...

12241223_951586288210919_1443729749173727018_n.jpg

"Honey chillin Buns"

I asked the vets if they could Christmas gift wrap all the body parts removed for my family and friends. :D

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Radioman970 said:
Here's my group with new pictures and updaters.

Scooter grew a fatty tumor on her breast. If she'd grown a second one I'd be shopping for b cups. It actually grew to a D cup had to come off. Also a weird place on her leg that started small then "grew angry" (vet speak). I took her in and they removed those and a "mass in her mammary" and her uterus that was "the biggest we've ever seen". She's like new again without all the mutated enhancements. Real proud of her, she just came home and was better, stronger faster... ($6M Man theme here) Just need to grow her hairs back over all those scars. Here she is in the box bed I made for Kayla.

attachicon.gif
scooter in the box.jpg

"Scooter-in-the-box"

Kayla started acting lethargic so I took her in. Some kind of infection and her uterus was "full of puss". cut cut snip snip stable stable stable stable. (1 day later) chew chew chew spit spit spit... oops! staple staple staple again. and fitted for the cone of shame. :D But she did good so I never put it back on her. She's 110% now.

attachicon.gif
kayla lazy morning.jpg

"Not me... those staples just fell out!"

Honey Bun has swelling on a ankle but they said wait and watch. I'll have her spay soon as well. I don't know what I'll do without the periodic 3 way humping entertainment floor show every once in a while...

attachicon.gif
honey chillin.jpg

"Honey chillin Buns"

I asked the vets if they could Christmas gift wrap all the body parts removed for my family and friends. :D

My cat also just grew a small tumor, benign, and not growing anymore. It's about the size of the last digit of a pinky finger. Vet wants almost $600 to remove it. She's 17 years old, just taking her to the vet almost killed her, she was so terrified. So I'm going to let her live out her life in the comfort of her home.

If she ever shows any kind of discomfort, I may reconsider, but for now she's happy, healthy, and it's not worth the stress she'd go through with surgery, etc...

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Yeah, my boss's dog died of a heart attack while being operated on for something minor. I think you made best choice. Best of luck with him to just stay happy.

Scooter's started like a egg and blew up to a grapefruit. I forgot to say it broke open too one day. Her total was over $700 but she doesn't get real stressed with anything expect thunders.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Mike, I would love to have a Golden Retriever.Every one I've ever seen has been so loving. How are they to take care of?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There is no grander dog in the world, Kevin...although THAT is a statement which the owner of every other dog in the world (which is NOT a golden) would likely take exception to!

They are such loving creatures. They only want to please their owners. They can be rambunctious as pups. My wife and I have been adopting older goldens...many of them downright elderly. So, ours have been pretty mellow. But they are smart as can be and great with both adults AND children. Ours is an opportunist--in terms of food. He will counter surf if food is accidentally left unattended on the counter!

The breed does have a propensity for developing cancer, however. Studies are currently being done to determine why. They also often develop allergies.

My wife adds that they are gentle, calm and don't need MUCH grooming--the occasional trim. She says--in terms of your actual question--"You don't have to take care of them, they take care of you."

They are a large dog. But I'd have one even in a small apartment or if I had a small car.

Ike just got his Therapy Dog certification. You'll see many golden retrievers work as therapy dogs because of that loving nature. And they are regularly touted as one of the best dog breeds for families that there is. Ike sits at my feet or by my side and just wants to be petted and loved all night.

If I can answer any specific questions you might have, send them along. I'm not sure if my post here is being all that helpful.

gallery_286742_34_2280951.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike,

How old is Ike? I just watched a wonderful ESPN 30 on 30 episode on the Golden Retriever family of dogs that the Yankees farm team, the Trenton Thunder use to retrieve bats left at home plate. A tradition that started with the grandfather, now the son and his offspring are doing it. Great dogs, shed a lot though.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ike is 9.

That's a show I'd definitely want to see, Robert. Is it currently in their rotation...or one that is on disc that aired a while back? I haven't quite figured out how that program works (is scheduled). I watch a lot less ESPN these days.

You are right about the shedding. But most dogs do it. It's an issue that cycles through the seasons. For example, they shed heavily just before winter so that a newer thicker heavier coat comes in. Then they shed just before summer to lighten up their coat. Yeah... they basically shed year-round.

I know there are a couple...but one breed I've always heard doesn't shed is the Kerry Blue Terrier.

KerryBlueDianeHarrison2.jpg

Another is the Portuguese Water Dog (like the one owned by the Obamas). In fact, that was one of the main reasons they got one:

portuguesewaterdogstand.jpg

But these dogs need major grooming upkeep as their coat needs to be cut/groomed on a regular basis since it only grows and grows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks