What's new

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - 7/5 (Another Wal-Mart Exclusive) (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H

RAH, what was the reasoning behind the special IP for My Fair Lady, apart from showing more of the picture from the OCN? I can only assume that the film was composed with a 2.21:1 aspect ratio in mind.

We were able to achieve a far higher quality image from a 35mm telecine, than from a 65. Preparing a special 35mm element was the way to go.

RAH

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
trajan said:
I read some years ago that the MY FAIR LADY (widescreen magazine) dvd was from a 35mm source not 65mm and the recent 70mm showings are nothing more than 35mm blowups.
The first part is correct as back when the DVD was prepared there was no point in going for a 65mm telecine as these delivered lower quality results than the best 35mm telecines of the day. Of course this has changed in the meantime. From what I know there are no 70mm BlowUps of My Fair Lady and after RAH has worked on it in the 90ies it would not make any sense to go that route.

Jimmy M

Second Unit
Professor Echo said:
Those of you who get TCM-HD, whenever they show this it's the most complete cut in existence, the same one used for the laser disc set. With a DVD recorder you can get a very nice anamorphic copy that will be better than the Laser. It's not Blu Ray, but it looks fantastic either split between two single layer DVD-Rs or on a dual layer DVD-R.
I really really wish I had TCM-HD and a DVD recorder. My old deluxe laserdisc set certainly isn't anamorphic, and my LD player is approaching 30 years old, and isn't what it used to be. That being said, I picked up the IAMMMMW Blu-Ray from my local Wal•Mart and can't wait to watch it this week.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Why are they releasing another Blu-ray 2/12/2012? http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=it%27s+a+mad+&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=4096

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Looking forward to importing this to the UK from Amazon US. I'll wait a bit 'till it comes down to $10, it didn't take for The Big Country to come down to that price.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
RolandL said:
Why are they releasing another Blu-ray 2/12/2012? http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=it%27s+a+mad+&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=4096
Looks like a non exclusive reissue.

Techman707

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Sanders
Does anyone know the reason for this "new" release? Other than it costing $3.96 more than the last one. The only real problem with the last one (if you don't mind the 161 minute theatrical version) was the poor quality and wrong colors of the main, intermission and end title sequences. The body of the feature is fine. After a while, it gets a little tiring buying the same film two, three and in some instances four times. I already have 2 versions of "To Kill A Mockingbird", which (IMHO) is Gregory Peck's best role in any of his films. Someone recently told me that the Blu-ray that's coming out in February had already been mastered from the same scan source that the last DVD version came from. While it may have been an HD scan, they pulled a Disney and shrank the opening title screen so it doesn't fill the 16x9 raster until AFTER the titles. There is absolutely NO REASON to do this, since the titles aren't even close to the edges or in any danger. They just do anthing they want and once you open the package and don't like it....it's TFB. :(

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
There should be no worries here.

I am certain that there is no remastered release here.

I am strongly guessing Walmart is simply retooling the listing.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm pretty sure it's no longer exclusive to Walmart on that date like I mentioned two posts back.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just for grins, I looked for the blu ray at Amazon. Wow, a third party is selling it and is fulfilled by Amazon and the price isn't very nice. Must be reselling the Walmart version.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Walmart.com still sells it for about $11 http://www.walmart.com/ip/16878537

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
Nelson Au said:
Just for grins, I looked for the blu ray at Amazon. Wow, a third party is selling it and is fulfilled by Amazon and the price isn't very nice. Must be reselling the Walmart version.
This third party thing seems to be occurring more and more frequently at Amazon. They seem to be acting more like a broker these days than a retailer. If they carry a disc at all, it doesn't seem to take long before it gets taken over by a third party seller (especially if it has a 'problem', as apparently the Ben-Hur BD box set once again has) and, as you say, 'fullfilled by Amazon'. Strange!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

Amazon has the non-exclusive listing up for pre-order for Feb. 7th through them as does Wal-Mart and everyone else. The titles they are selling through third party are the Wal-Mart exclusives that Amazon could not sell since it was an exclusive to Wal-Mart. You can pick up the Wal-Mart exclusive at one of their stores or order through them over the web for $10.00. No way anyone should order it from a third party through Amazon, at least anyone in their right mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks