What's new

is this too good to be true? (1 Viewer)

rodger_morales

Auditioning
Paging through the local paper here in Arizona I saw that the local hi-end shop was advertising a denon receiver mirage speaker 6.1 (including sub) package for $999. From the picture I wasn't familiar with the speakers but I called and was told it was the omnisats! Now even if these are the micros this is a smoking deal. I will check this out today...but doesn't it seem to be good to be true?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
In some ways yes, in some ways no.

Dennon and Yamaha sometimes make deals to bundle a speaker set with a receiver to hit some price-point. Right about $1000 is a typical number to entice people into the store. I've seen them do this with Energy speakers which sold for about $525 and a receiver that sold for about $600. So it's a discount of about $125 - not huge, not bad. And it gets you a good HT system. So go for it and enjoy.

Note: be ready for the: "... to really make that system sound good you need these $$$ cables" type of pitch. Dont get mad, just be ready for it.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Doesn't the omnisat speaker system retail for around $1500 by itself? In that case, even if it is the lowest model Denon, it would be a smoking deal.

And, keeping in mind what Bob said about cable pushing, think of all that extra money you'll have to buy from a place like Rhino or Blue Jeans or Radio Shack for speaker cable or whereever...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think someone was mistaken, and probably doesn't even know what the omnistats are... Better to check it out in person. If it IS the omnis, well, better get a set!

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
Rodger,

The Tweeter store in our area is running the special you mention... Denon 1803 receiver and the Mirage AVS 500 system with an extra speaker to round out a 6.1 system for $1000. It was

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this system is the predecessor to the Energy Take 5.2 system (Mirage and Energy are made in the same place in Canada). It is a strong foray into HT without breaking the bank.

When I was looking at the Mirage/Energy lines (for my own purchase) a little more than a year ago, a local shop offered me a Denon 1802 (predecessor to the 1803) and the Mirage AVS 500 (5.1 flavor) for $1100 or so. That wasn't a bad deal at the time, and, depending on your room size/other needs, the 6.1 deal with the 1803 is another (even) strong(er) package for the money.

A few weeks ago, a buddy of mine called me up on a Saturday saying that he wanted a system by the end of the weekend, and he would take my advice as to what he should get. Nothing like a little pressure, right? Anyway, he was looking at some lower end HTIB systems, and I talked him into this very same Denon/Mirage deal. After some dedicated listening time with our demo dvd, he jumped on board, and is now an extremely happy HT newbie. After just a bit of talking, we got the system for $900 and picked up a two pairs of Mirage stands ($60 each) for the fronts and rear surrounds.

He already had his wire (12-ga from Lowes) and interconnects (AR Pro Series from Accessories For Less), so we had him up and running in a relatively short period of time. I mention the wire and interconnects as these are decent pieces of the system for reasonable prices. The salesman was very cool with us and didn't try pushing any extra add-ons our way.

Looking at the Tweeter site, they still have this special running, and there is a new one that is likely the one that you mentioned. They have some level of the Omnipolar speakers, and what looks like the Denon 2803 (from the description, they don't come out and say it) for $1500. I think this is a good deal as well. Either way, you should be able to do well for yourself. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks