What's new

Is this really the best time to invest in Atmos technology? (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Mike: Yes, the Atmos mixes sound pretty good without an Atmos decoder. But so do many of the non-Atmos mixes these days. I always promote the first Hunger Games BD's DTS-HD MA 7.1 mix as very good, it is the kind of mix (like Gravity's Atmos one) where subtlety is to the fore, rather than the bombastic onslaught of many of the other Atmos mixes I have to listen to (I get it though).

Don't let lack of ceiling speakers stop you from enjoying Atmos, you can add them later. Unfortunately, Atmos is marketed or interpreted in such a way that they almost seem mandatory to use Atmos, rather than being a part of it. I doubt you'll have a Dolby choice soon anyway, Atmos/DSU will be the standard/only Dolby decoder whether you have mono or googolphonic (in Steve Martin's car), until they have something else new.

If you're the type who has to have every new thing immediately, you wouldn't have asked this stuff. So there are lots of us here who want the new thing, but don't feel pressured to have it yet. I am actually impressed how reliable current AVRs/pre-pros are these days, if only the damn things would break then we would have a better reason than "I want to". I try to be practical, within the bounds of HT ridiculousness.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I've been upgading my sound system to pro gear and would like to add an Atmos version of the Denon Professional DN-500AV, which they will hopefully offer soon. I've got Crown pro amps, and the Denon's -10dBv/+4dBu switch is very helpful for integrating consumer with pro gear. Realistically, it will be about a year or more until I am going Atmos. I also want to add the Crown CXM 2000 Crossover Monitor to the system, so that will come first.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Ronald Epstein said:
I decided to wait another year on Atmos. Going to let these formats sort themselves out for awhile --- especially with the DTS: X format on the way.

So will I, Ron. With DTS:X en route, I do not want to miss out on that. Thus, I will wait and, meanwhile, begin working on phasing in new BIC Acoustech speakers to mark the occasion on the 7 side of the intended 7.2.4 system I wish to mount.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Tina_H_V said:
So will I, Ron. With DTS:X en route, I do not want to miss out on that. Thus, I will wait and, meanwhile, begin working on phasing in new BIC Acoustech speakers to mark the occasion on the 7 side of the intended 7.2.4 system I wish to mount.
The new Denon and Marantz models support both Atmos and DTS:X (via firmware upgrade). I just put in a Marantz 7702MkII which gets the DTS upgrade the first week of March. Currently there are only three DTS:3 titles, but I'm sure there are more on the way. I listened to my first non-Atmos film in Dolby Surround recently: Jurassic World and I was very impressed at how well it placed sounds overhead.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
IMO the 7702MkII is a nice "sensible" choice for the discerning HT enthusiast. Congrats on your acquisition, regardless of my opinion. :)

I do wonder though why Denon/Marantz have been taking so darn long with the DTS:X FW, though I realize it's probably not really them and more at the DTS end. Affects sales, at least here. So far it's just vaporware. (We don't tend to get the "protection" of sales promises here that you get in the U.S.) Really, some new D/M models will be announced in April, some will probably even come out then. They did seem to rush the MkII, though they pretty much had to because nobody informed was buying the "MkI" anymore (at least here).

joner7777

Auditioning
Real Name
ian jones
I am trying to plan what to fit into a custom made room soon.
8M x 4M long.
Problem is the ceiling is only 7ft high and was looking at x4 atmos speakers to prewire before fitting roof panels.
With such a low hard surface ,would i be better looking to buy up facing elevated speakers to fire sound up and reflect down (maybe fitted on side walls next to the side surround speakers or fit speakers in the ceiling?
Thanks

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I am trying to plan what to fit into a custom made room soon.
8M x 4M long.
Problem is the ceiling is only 7ft high and was looking at x4 atmos speakers to prewire before fitting roof panels.
With such a low hard surface ,would i be better looking to buy up facing elevated speakers to fire sound up and reflect down (maybe fitted on side walls next to the side surround speakers or fit speakers in the ceiling?
Thanks
I also have low ceilings and have investigated this issue. It can be made to work with low ceilings PROVIDED a ceiling speaker with as broad dispersions characteristics as possible is chosen and attention is paid to setting them up at a 45 degree angle from the listening position (measure the distance from your ears to the ceiling when seated and position the Top Fronts accordingly, in other words, it there's 4 feet of distance from your ears to the ceiling, place the top fronts 4 feet in front of you and in the same plane as the front speakers). The top rears should be similarly positioned. I don't think, based on what others have reported, that height speakers will be effective for Atmos. I've narrowed my choices for ceiling speakers to the following: JBL (claimed 120 degree dispersion), RSL, and Atlantic Technology. Hope this is helpful.

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Mike: Yes, the Atmos mixes sound pretty good without an Atmos decoder. But so do many of the non-Atmos mixes these days. I always promote the first Hunger Games BD's DTS-HD MA 7.1 mix as very good, it is the kind of mix (like Gravity's Atmos one) where subtlety is to the fore, rather than the bombastic onslaught of many of the other Atmos mixes I have to listen to (I get it though).

Don't let lack of ceiling speakers stop you from enjoying Atmos, you can add them later. Unfortunately, Atmos is marketed or interpreted in such a way that they almost seem mandatory to use Atmos, rather than being a part of it. I doubt you'll have a Dolby choice soon anyway, Atmos/DSU will be the standard/only Dolby decoder whether you have mono or googolphonic (in Steve Martin's car), until they have something else new.

If you're the type who has to have every new thing immediately, you wouldn't have asked this stuff. So there are lots of us here who want the new thing, but don't feel pressured to have it yet. I am actually impressed how reliable current AVRs/pre-pros are these days, if only the damn things would break then we would have a better reason than "I want to". I try to be practical, within the bounds of HT ridiculousness.

You make some good points here. If users have a system they're happy with, they should stick with it until the initial issues are resolved (and there are issues, even with the new DTS format), prices come down, and more software is available. For those who have the desire and the means, the main benefit to setting up for Atmos (or DTS:X) is the new up mixers that utilized the new speaker configurations. Many users have reported that these can make nearly any movie not encoded with Atmos or DTS: X sound incredible.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I think Atmos and dts:X cry out for the pre-pro/separate amp solution.....

That's a big 10-4 good buddy! Even if one is getting a receiver for Atmos, if you're going for 11 channels, you probably need to start the trek towards separates already. Most of the receivers are giving ya 9 amplified channels. So, at bare minimum you need a stereo amp tacked on. A good upgrade strategy when one buys their first Atmos receiver might just be to buy a 5 or 7 channel amp too. Now you've got all kinds of channel flexibility. You also have all kind of flexibility about which receiver you can buy, You could even opt for a receiver that has all the processing you need but only has 7 amplified channels. All you'll have to worry about is the processing in the chosen receiver sufficient. Plus, the next time you need to upgrade your processing, you'll have an easy path to full separates by adding however many more amp channels you need.

Processors come and go. It's a shame to have to replace all your amplifier channels every time you want the latest processing. I won the Onkyo 1030 receiver here on the forum. It's a deeee-light! I'm only using 2 of it's 9 channels. I had an Onkyo pre before and 7 channels of amplification. I had an extra stereo amp sitting around, so, I threw it into the mix. My Onkyo only runs a pair of height channel speakers. It sure runs C-O-O-L! It'll be easy to go back to full separates next time I upgrade my processing if I so choose. The 1030 is my ride till I get somethin' with DTS-X. I can see that coming.

Is it really a good idea to have 11 channels in a (HOT) box with your processing....?

If you're waiting on Atmos-DTS X, now would be a good time to buy your first outboard amp and strap it on your present rig, presuming you have pre-outs. That would pave your way.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Let me understand this correctly....and I apologize if I don't.

If I get the Denon AVR-X7200W or AVR-X6200w 9.2 receiver....

Do I need to get additional amps for Atmos?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
David,

The numbers are confusing me because this Dolby Atmos is so new...

I have a 7.1 setup already. I simply want to add 2 overhead speakers.

I am good with just the receiver?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
David,

Thank you so much. I am relieved to know I don't have to pay more than I wanted to.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Let me understand this correctly....and I apologize if I don't.

If I get the Denon AVR-X7200W or AVR-X6200w 9.2 receiver....

Do I need to get additional amps for Atmos?
I'm leaning towards one of those Denon receivers too. Hope to hear your thoughts on what you buy, if you beat me to it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am about a day or two away from ordering the Denon AVR‑X7200W

I just want to make certain this receiver is a sound investment.

For just adding two overhead speakers, I am happy to hear I won't need an extra amp.

I will be buying two Atlantic Technology Atmos Ceiling Speakers to compliment what I have already.

For me, this is more exciting than investing in 4k right now. At least Atmos specs are worked out and I'd rather proceed in that direction first.

It will be at least 2-3 weeks until I have everything installed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I won't buy any new HT equipment until I decide to relocate to a retirement location. So, I'll probably wait for the 2016 or 2017 models. Good luck with your upgrade.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I am about a day or two away from ordering the Denon AVR‑X7200W

I just want to make certain this receiver is a sound investment.

For just adding two overhead speakers, I am happy to hear I won't need an extra amp.

I will be buying two Atlantic Technology Atmos Ceiling Speakers to compliment what I have already.

For me, this is more exciting than investing in 4k right now. At least Atmos specs are worked out and I'd rather proceed in that direction first.

It will be at least 2-3 weeks until I have everything installed.

You may be OK with the Denon 6200. Looking at the specs the biggest difference is the remote (you are using a Harmony already) and the amps (aren't you already using external)?

Taking that one step further, if you have an external amp already, have you considered the Marantz 7702MkII? Its a pre-pro, so you need external amps, but its cheaper than the Denon and has a lot more flexibility. If you have a seven channel amp already you just need a two channel amp for your Atmos speakers. If you have a five channel amp you can add the excellent Outlaw Model 5000 amp which will cover your two Atmos height and your back channels. You could get that and the Marantz for less than the Denon and have a better setup. If you ever decided to add additional height channels or additional speaker configurations, the Marantz will support it. Marantz is owned by the same parent company as Denon so functionality and control is very similar, there isn't a learning curve really going from one to the other.

I agree that Atmos/DTS X is the better place to spend upgrade dollars right now, especially if you are dealing with front projection. What good 3D did for video is what Dolby Atmos does to the audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks