What's new

Is NEIGHBORS out on DVD? (Consolidated Thread) (1 Viewer)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The book and film of NEIGHBORS are two totally different animals, not that I wouldn't mind having it on R1. Thirtieth anniversary next year.

Belushi and Aykroyd are also in 1941, but their interaction is I think limited to a nod.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
it was an....interesting film;
Maybe after the 23rd release of THE DARK CRYSTAL/HOLY GRAIL et al, on DVD they might they consider this

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Still no word on this...

a little info:

Here are a few comments from Mr. Avildsen on Neighbors. Though they are brief they are pretty interesting.

--------------------------------

John Gallagher: On Neighbors, John Belushi was playing his part very much against type.

Avildsen: My original notion on Neighbors was to have Rodney Dangerfield play the part that Belushi ended up playing. He certainly was much closer to the age of the character that Thomas Berger wrote about in his novel. I had worked with Rodney for a few weeks on a screen test and he was great, playing it straight, not doing his stand-up, a very good actor. But there was no interest at the studio that he could sell a ticket. Belushi was also on my list because I thought he was a very good actor, but he thought I wanted him to play the other character, Vic. I said, “No, you’ve done that character a million times. Play Earl, stretch yourself as an actor. Play an older guy, you’re a terrific actor.” I don’t think he really wanted to do that. He didn’t want to appear that old and he wanted to keep the gag aspect of it rather than playing the straight part and playing against type. He had a lot of problems of his own going on at that time, so you never knew when he was going to show up, but sometimes he could be very charming and very sweet. Dan Aykroyd was a real gentleman, a great pleasure to work with.

John Gallagher: How did Belushi and Aykroyd relate to Cathy Moriarty? It was her first picture after her debut in Raging Bull.

Avildsen: They were very patient with her and very supportive. She worked real hard, and I’m sure it was a lot for her to deal with because her rise had been instantaneous. She was very conscientious and I thought she did a good job.

John Gallagher: Neighbors didn’t perform at the box office.

Avildsen: I wish it had done better. I don’t think I had any quarrel with the cut. It was a difficult picture to promote. Maybe they could have promoted it better, but thank goodness for video because it does give it an endless life. People keep commenting on it, people who didn’t see it when it was in release, but saw it on tape.

JimmyT

Stunt Coordinator
Received an email from Warner Archive yesterday - with a link to 11 new releases. Neighbors is one of them! http://www.wbshop.com/Neighbors-1981/1000249133,default,pd.html?cgid=ARCHIVENEW#icontop There is a contradiction regarding this being remastered: When you click on the title, there is a blurb that states - "Important Note: This film has been manufactured from the best-quality video master currently available and has not been remastered or restored specifically for this DVD and Digital Download release." When you click on the full product description, the very last line states "Newly remastered."

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I got my copy today, from Amazon, which had it more cheaply (it's now maybe a dollar less than the Archive will be selling it for). Nice clean print, no extras.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Reggie W

So how did this go from a Sony property to a Warner Archive release? Anybody know? Does Warner now have the Columbia films?

Sony (Columbia) made a business decision and agreement for the WAC site to also sell their titles. When that happened, the Columbia Classics web site and store disappeared. The Columbia Classic titles can also be found at Amazon, Movies Unlimited, Deep Discount, etc, etc, etc. on the same same release day as they appear on WAC. Sony still has complete control over what titles get released, when and the transfer and Warner has no control over the titles except to sell them. The one problem has been that WAC has great customer relations with their titles, but as any seller, they have no control except to replace a bad disc and will not comment on bad transfers (White Line Fever). It was a no-brainier for both companies, for Columbia got their titles on the premiere MOD web site that has a considerable number of hits and publicity while Warner gets cash from the sales and they also both use the same DVD-R replication and handling company. I wish Universal and MGM would also make an agreement with WAC and make it easier to find out what is happening in the world of MOD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks