What's new

Is NEIGHBORS out on DVD? (Consolidated Thread) (1 Viewer)

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
I was just searching around to see what I could find about Neighbors because to be honest I dont know much about the film except that I have caught it on TV a few times.

I was surprised in a way to see that it recieved really poor rating at IMDb
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082801/

Some interesting trivia about the film..

"The film was profitable because the studio decided to release the film in the largest number of theaters possible during the end of the year holiday season before the reviews and word of mouth spread to damage the film.

This was a troubled production because the actors argued with the director, the director argued with producers and everybody tried to rewrite the screenplay. At one point, J'ohn Belushi' , who would soon die from a drug overdose, accused writer Larry Gelbart of drinking too much.

Originally, John Belushi wanted the final piece of music to be a punk rock song performed by Fear, the band fronted by singer/actor Lee Ving. The studio music supervisor rejected the song choice."

I found one artical where the writer thinks Bulushi may have pulled off a better phyical comedy role in Neighbors over The Blues Brothers...unfortunately he does not say much about it.

I guess Neighbors was Bulushi's last movie, at least IMDb lists it that way.

DaveyM

Stunt Coordinator
Neighbors is on my Top 5 of films i would love to see on Dvd list. I hope Columbia will get this out soon. It would be great if Dan would do a commentary track for this one.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I'm probably one of the few who actually think this film marks the finest performance of both Akroyd and Belushi. In my opinion, the film failed because it was so out of character for Belushi, but I believe it truly showed the range of his acting ability.

Bring on Neighbors in all it 2.35 glory!

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter

Wouldn't that be great! I bet he has soooo much to say about those final days with Belushi...maybe they were not the greatest times for him but I think he is old enough that it has to be close to the time where he can look back at this period of time and enjoy what was good about those times besides being lean and trim. :D

DaveyM

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have a region free player so i hope we will see a Region 1 release soon.

Shawn_Sek

Stunt Coordinator
awesome! i would have liked the TV scenes as supplements and something more in the extras dept, but its widescreen and a must-buy for me. i will gladly double dip if R1 gets a release as well. thanks for the post.

ScottCor

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't bet on that date...It's not listed on Amazon UK ,Sendit or any other region 2 I can find..I wonder if this is a definite, seems funny it's not on at least Amazon with such a close release date.

crap!!..also just remembered Play UK doesn't ship to the US...so I continue to wait.

DaveRU

Stunt Coordinator
I received mine yesterday, it's a pretty good transfer :D

It's 1.85:1 anamorphic and has the original mono soundtrack.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Yeah, I mistakenly thought the film was 2.35 for some reason. I could've sworn the laserdisc looked cropped really bad.

Anyway, I'm thrilled to have an anamorphic transfer finally. I can't imagine not having a region free player.

DaveyM

Stunt Coordinator
I recieved an e-mail from Sony saying there are no current plans to release Neighbors here in the states.
Looks like its time to buy a region free player, can anyone tell me where i can get a decent player at a reasonable price?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks