What's new

Indiana Jones and The Raiders of The Lost Ark (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I brought this up before, and am dying to know.

Did Lucas change the title for Raiders Of the Lost Ark permenately? Indiana Jones and The Raiders Of The Lost Ark. This is the title for the film in the Indiana Jones collection, and I'm wondering if all future releases will be titled as Indiana Jones and The Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The title was only changed on the packaging. The actual film title on screen still reads "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

Arild

Supporting Actor
Actually, the title wasn't changed at all - while the cover does say "Indiana Jones and...", the title on the actual film remains the same.

'course, you probably knew that already. AFAIK, nothing has been said officially regarding the title on the cover, but the last few VHS releases were like that as well so chances are it will stay that way in the future.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

The Indy films are supposed to be in the tradition of the old serials too, like Star Wars. I wonder why he'd go back and add "Episode IV: A New Hope" to Star Wars but not change Raiders to "Indiana Jones and The Raiders of the Lost Ark". Perhaps Spielberg had something to say about it, or maybe Lucas just doesn't care as much about Indy as he does Star Wars.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks everyone for the info. It's been a while since I actually checked the disc menu.

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
One explanation I remember reading a while back regarding the box title change was so that all the movies would sit together in video rental/retail locations alphabetically. Don't know if that has much merit, but it's a possibility.

James@R

Second Unit

I remember reading that as well, but I don't think it holds much merit.

For one, rental stores will often display the films together anyway, whether the titles match or not. As for retail stores, I can't imagine anyone seeing Temple or Crusade and actually saying, "Wait, where's Raiders of the Lost Ark?!"

And controversy aside, the change simply makes the title too long to roll off the tongue.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
I don't know if there's any truth to this, but there was a rumor at the time that Spielberg and Lucas were considering making changes to the Indiana Jones movies for DVD, but were sort of shamed out of it by the "South Park" episode about them trying to change Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator
If it had been the "real" title all along, it would likely have been Indiana Jones and the Lost Ark.

I dare say if they referred to it as such now, the internerds would be crying bloody murder (Yet again.)

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
The back of the DVD case even calls it Raiders of the Lost Ark. The title hasn't been changed.

And regarding CGI alterations, I heard somewhere that Lucas wanted to do it, but Spielberg wouldn't allow it.

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I think the rebranding also was to incorporate the Young Indiana Jones chronology, especially when it came to the marketing on the web.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I'm guessing the title will be changed sooner or later. The back of the dvd case in the description also goes by the Indiana Jones, and the Raiders of the Lost Ark title. It isn't until the credit/cast index toward the bottom it's original title is seen, and that's probably because of legal issues. I'm guessing the title on the film itself would have been changed, but the remastering probably took priority. On the next release in HD, I can almost gurantee the title to be changed forever.

Arild

Supporting Actor
Except, the film has already been released several times (VHS, DVD...) with "Indiana Jones and..." on the cover but with the title on the actual film left unchanged. If they wanted to change it in the actual film, they've had more than plenty of time to do it already.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I hope you're wrong, but if not, then I'll be watching the correct film with the correct title on dvd forever. I don't give a rat's ass what they put on the package, but if they ever change the title on the actual film, there's no way in hell I'd ever buy it.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood

Spielberg will almost always try to do things practically before digitally, one of the few directors out there left to do so.

I doubt the title will be changed, despite E.T. and Star Wars I think both Lucas and Spielberg both know how loved Raiders is. The DVD cover is fine by me, but the title card in the movie, I think it will always read just simply "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

I've been wrong before, I hope I'm not now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks