What's new

Important Made-For-TV Movies We Need On DVD and/or Blu (1 Viewer)

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
I've always thought that an ABC Movie of the Week series on DVD would be a wonderful idea. Or, at the very least, a Spelling-Goldberg Productions TV movie series (since so very many of the really fun movies were by Spelling-Goldberg).

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i would love to see from here to eternity with william devane. another favorite is anzacs the war down under.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Wasn't the ABC Movie of the Week a co-production between ABC and Universal? or were other studios backing the films? I would start looking titles up on imdb if my PC weren't so slow and clunky. I do wish ABC and Universal would get these movies-of-the-week out on DVD.

I'd love to see THE UNDERGROUND MAN (NBC/Paramount, 1974)) again, starring Jim Phelps as Lew Archer in a faithful adaptation of Ross MacDonald's bestselling private-eye novel. It was directed like a feature film by the indomitable Paul Wendkos.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Some of you might be surprised at how little the personnel at the home video divisions know about the made-for-tv movies of yesterday. I found myself explaining to someone who works at Universal that the films were always shot on 35mm film by Guild cameramen and were often written and directed by some of the finest talent, and award winning talent, of the day. She assumed they were videotaped and insisted that no one is interested in those creaky old movies anymore. This person is a decision-maker. Twenty-somethings jump to too many conclusions.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Unless I missed it, nobody mentioned my number one TV movie "want":

Finnegan Begin Again, with Mary Tyler Moore and Robert Preston. I would give a body part to have a good DVD of this (although at this point, I want a Blu-ray). :)

Also...

Wild Horses

Bonanza: The Return

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
There's three William Shatner TV films from the lost 70's that made impressions on me.Disaster on the Coastliner 1979, Prey for the Wildcats 1974 and The Horror at 37,000 Feet 1973.Plus there's a great Peter Graves film: Where Have All The People Gone 1974.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Richard--W said:
Some of you might be surprised at how little the personnel at the home video divisions know about the made-for-tv movies of yesterday. I found myself explaining to someone who works at Universal that the films were always shot on 35mm film by Guild cameramen and were often written and directed by some of the finest talent, and award winning talent, of the day. She assumed they were videotaped and insisted that no one is interested in those creaky old movies anymore. This person is a decision-maker. Twenty-somethings jump to too many conclusions.
Sad, isn't it. Would appear we live in dumbing down times, right across the board pretending things are improving when they really seem to be moving backwards. It's certainly not necessarily better entertainment we're getting out of all the new technologies for starters or smarter audiences by and large, that's for sure.

Rob Mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Any of these would be my first choices for box set number one.

Nightmare - Richard Crenna, Vic Morrow, Patty Duke
Deadly Dream - Lloyd Bridges, Janet Leigh
Reflections Of Murder- Sam Waterson, Tuesday Weld
Night Terror - Valerie Harper
Intensity - John C McGinley
The Challenge - Darrin McGavin, Mako
Trapped - James Brolin
Pray For The Wildcats - Andy Griffith, William Shatner
City In Fear - Mickey Rourke, David Janssen

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
The Underground Man is available from modcinema.com. It is a good, not great transfer, for about 16 bucks.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yami said:
Isn't the theatrical cut the only one on DVD though?
Yes, that is correct as someone else also mentioned.
MCCLOUD said:
Universal has released Duel on DVD. Also, Universal has released Killdozer as part of their Universal Vault Series MOD DVD-R. In my opinion, both Duel and Killdozer look very good on DVD and DVD-R respectively. Both are available at Amazon.com.Take Care!Robert
I had no idea Killdeer was available.
Regulus said:
The AquarionsThe Deadly TowerFamily FlightIrwin Allen's FireIrwin Allen's FloodRunaway!Search for the GodsSky HeistSkyway to DeathStarflight, the plane that couldn't land
The Irwin. Allen disaster. Over are in Warner archive.

paste

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Nelson Au said:
There's three William Shatner TV films from the lost 70's that made impressions on me.Disaster on the Coastliner 1979, Prey for the Wildcats 1974 and The Horror at 37,000 Feet 1973.
Pray for the Wildcats is out on DVD on two different budget collections: The Movies for Man Cave Vol. 4 and the Andy Griffith 4-Film Collection.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Any of these would be my first choices for box set number one. Trapped - James Brolin
Yeah! That's the one in which Brolin is accidentally locked inside a department store, trying to avoid being attacked by the guard dogs let loose overnight. Cool movie.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Fame is the Name of the Game, remake of Chicago Deadline and basis for well-regarded tv show.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Not sure if this counts, but the Broadway AIDS play AS IS was filmed for television.I still have my VHS copy, but would love to see it on DVD, to go with THAT CERTAIN SUMMER.

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Richard--W said:
I'd love to see THE UNDERGROUND MAN (NBC/Paramount, 1974)) again, starring Jim Phelps as Lew Archer in a faithful adaptation of Ross MacDonald's bestselling private-eye novel. It was directed like a feature film by the indomitable Paul Wendkos.
I enjoyed this movie, although I admit it's not up there with my all time favourite TV movies, it has a certain atmosphere and eerie feel to it that keeps you interested all the way through. I would buy this just to get an upgrade in quality.

Would also like to see Archer. This is the series that followed and premiered the following year. It starred Brian Keith as Lew Archer. Unfortunately only 6 episodes were broadcast before its axing, so it's highly unlikely this will ever get released unfortunately.

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Nelson Au said:
There's three William Shatner TV films from the lost 70's that made impressions on me.Disaster on the Coastliner 1979, Prey for the Wildcats 1974 and The Horror at 37,000 Feet 1973.Plus there's a great Peter Graves film: Where Have All The People Gone 1974.
The Horror At 37,000 Feet was released in Australia on a budget label.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
paste said:
Pray for the Wildcats is out on DVD on two different budget collections: The Movies for Man Cave Vol. 4 and the Andy Griffith 4-Film Collection.
Thanks, didn't know Andy Griffith would get a box set! :)And that's cool there's an Austrian release of Horror at 37,000 Feet. Thanks!

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Nelson Au said:
Thanks, didn't know Andy Griffith would get a box set! :)And that's cool there's an Austrian release of Horror at 37,000 Feet. Thanks!
You're welcome but it's Australian not Austrian. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks