What's new

"I can hear you whisperin' children...I can feel myself gettin' awful mad..." (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I wish. Mediocre original transfer with no extras. Needs a good remaster...

Sony?

There, another breath wasted.

Or does someone else now have the home video rights for United Artists titles? Can't keep up with these games of studio musical chairs.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I believe, and please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong, but Fox is now taking over the home video distribution of the MGM/UA product. It will no longer be handled by Sony. So that may bode well for this.

And there is a WEALTH of behind the scenes footage that still exists which I saw screened at UCLA a few years ago. Fascinating to see Laughton directing the kids, Mitchum & Lillian Gish. Hopefully that could be included.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
One of my most wanted films....and one of my most important Blu-Ray upgrades. Hopefully we'll see the home video footage if this ever comes out. It's apparently lost in the abyss currently known as MGM.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
If the scuttlebutt is to be believed, this will a Criterion release They've licensed several UA titles, the first of which THE FUGITIVE KIND is due this month.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Originally Posted by Thomas T

If the scuttlebutt is to be believed, this will a Criterion release They've licensed several UA titles, the first of which THE FUGITIVE KIND is due this month.
That would be incredible!! This could easily be a 2-disc set or even more. There is reportedly hours and hours of home-video footage shot on set by Laughton's wife Elsa Lanchester. Much of this was edited in to a documentary that was shown a few years ago on the festival circuit. That documentary could easily make up a disc by itself. This film could easily support multiple commentary tracks also. I read a book on the making of the film a couple of years ago.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Here's a link about the documentary.

http://rootingforlaughton.blogspot.com/2006/10/documentary-charles-laughton-directs.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks