What's new

I bought both formats, HD DVD and Blu-ray that is...... (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Damn!

Damn!

Damn damn!

$100 internet coupons are DANGEROUS!!!

I blame you and Steven for this, Crawdaddy. There is something about that picture of the BD player on top of the HD DVD player that just made me snap...

Hopefully, I'll see it for myself next week!

- Steve

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
For me it's the difficult task (if possible at all) to find a reliable e-tailer who is prepared to ship overseas....
(That was much easier back in 1997, when I imported my first Toshiba DVD player.)

But I already (pre-)ordered a few HD DVD and BD discs - and actually received one of them yesterday. :)

Cees

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, my Blu-ray unit is out for delivery so I'll have it today, but still no Blu-ray discs to play in it.

Crawdaddy

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Robert - Congrats! I'd be very interested to hear some of your comparative feedback when you've had a chance to compare - particularly in hi action material.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Congratulations, Robert. I hope you have all kinds of fun. I look forward to hearing more.

-Reagan

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
It may be too late, but you should change out The Fifth Element with something else. Mediocre presentation: Sony should be ashamed. The only supposedly good thing about it is an uncompressed LPCM track that is not surprisingly superior to the DD and DTS lossy tracks from the SuperBit DVD.

EdClay

Agent
The RCA HD-DVD says in the specs that it will also play DVD-A. Is it the only
machine (be it HD-DVD or BR) that will play this format?

EdClay

Agent
Did I ask a stupid question? I know Toshiba(HD-DVD) and Samsung HD(BR) as far as I can tell will not play DVD-A. If RCA will play DVD-A, that will influence me towards RCA as I have several DVD-A Cds.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Robert,
apologies if this will sound like I am raining on your parade but-
I DO understand why you would want one player from each format- But I don't get why you would drop $1K on the Samsung at this point- beyond the fact that you can obviously afford to.

I'm not brand loyal to a fault, and I do think previously mediocre brands are capable of producing exceptional products when they choose to- However, in this case you are really flying by the seat of your pants as there is very little real world feedback on the Samsung yet - unlike the Toshiba which has been exhaustively put thru its paces and has already had at least one firmware revision.
and
The software that has been announced to fill the space until the release of other (more respected) brands of players, doesn't seem to be all that compelling (although if you've already spotted a personal favorite in whats been announced so far, then this last point obviously doesn't apply)

But it still seems like a pretty recklessly cavilier impulse purchase, when you had seemed to be so comfortable on that fence before.

just curious. I do hope you enjoy the toys though.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Paul,
The short of it is that after some further reflection, I changed my mind. In regard to HT equipment, I do have a plan as to what I am doing now and what I'll be doing 1-2 years from now. The equipment I bought this week will serve their immediate purpose of satisfying my need to watch HD discs on both formats. Afterwards, when the time is right for me to upgrade much of my HT setup and the future is a little clearer as to the outcome of this format war, one of the players will most likely be relegated to my bedroom HT while the other player will become a gift to one of my brothers as I've done in the past with previously replaced equipment. My brothers are far from being HT enthusiasts so that player will serve one of them well as their main dvd player.

I've been busy today so I haven't had time to play with my new $900 toy, but tomorrow I'm going to try to change that situation.:)

Crawdaddy

ginoScope

Auditioning
You guys are making me tempted as well. One question I have is that if anyone is using the 5.1 analog input into their receiver from the Toshiba. Thats what I am doing but if I got a blue ray player I would have to switch out the inputs and that's no fun.

My TV doesn't have HDMI so I am screwed in that regard.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Gino,

Welcome to the forum!

You don't need the HDMI. You may be able to start enjoying a new HD player with nothing but a sound plan to upgrade in the future.

Cees

Steve Blair

Second Unit
you can use a cheap component video switcher so that both players can use the analog outputs. There's a thread on this at avs in the hd dvd section.

ginoScope

Auditioning
Thanks Steve,

I am using a component switcher to get the picture from Sat and HD DVD. I had no idea what to do about the audio when I got a blue ray player.
Gino

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Just that a ultra-multi would have:
1080p HD DVD output
1.3 HDMI
and might even have:
a better remote
DVD-A/SA-CD
HDCD
HQV
&
no fan!

Congrats!
And enjoy those players now, while I have to just sit around with SD DVD, and wait!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks