What's new

***HUGE*** Bewitched news from Tabitha!! (1 Viewer)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I'm 100% against colorization, no matter how it looks. Back in the VHS days that selling ploy hurt video sales big time back in the 1980s (particularly with Wanted: Dead or Alive).

If a show is filmed in color that's fine though. I have no problem with the opening credit montage of the final season of The Fugitive being color tinted (while the rest of the show was filmed in color) because that's how it was originally produced.

In the case of Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie though, I'm not collecting either series but if I did....I'd stay clear of anything in which color was added by computer. It's a cheat and also tampers with the way the show was made.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'd be real surprised if they didnt' make everything available to everybody who has already bought a few seasons of Bewitched. It just doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, colorization of old shows is just lame. If we actually could turn down the color on the TV and make it work or is they'd just put both versions in the sets that would be okay. I'm merely curious about how they look but I'd always go back to the original. I couldn't imagine watching my all times favs, such as Gilligan's Island first season or Twlight Zone, in anything but b&w. I just won't do it.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Agreed. This is what I was trying to say in my previous post about not liking colorization. I'd rather watch the show as it originally aired than a version that has been ``enhanced'' by a computer or whatever to bring color to the show. I realize that many shows in the early to mid-60's were aired in color, but had to adjust costumes and whatnot because many homes still had black-and-white TVs. If a show aired in black and white, that's how I want to see it. Once ``Bewitched'' went to color in the third season, I was completely fine with color. I just want the original versions as aired, is all.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Nice point Dan. Lost in Space had everybody in those silver suits during the b&w years. Then color just exploded all over the place. I actually kind of liked that. I guess Gilligan was pretty much the same way.

Oh, what if we tried to watch these old shows in b&w, the color years too, just to get a feel of what it was like to watch them original? Hee hee! My family didn't have a color TV until about 1979 I think. I'll have to ask mom on that one.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
In the case of Bewitched, I don't mind the colorization but I want it to be an option. Which in a way it was and in a way it wasn't. I was hopped up to get Bewitched on the release day. When I went to my store I intended to get Black and White but the dealer only had color available. It was either get the color or wait to get it on the internet and I didn't want to wait.

I resolved to get the Black and White versions "someday" but that someday hasn't come yet. If this full series release set comes to fruition, it will be my chance to get the B and W versions.

That being said, although I love the first two seasons, Bewitched looks strange to me in black and white. This is because I discovered color Bewitched (the later years) first. In my minds eye, I see Bewitched as a color show.

The opposite is true for "The Andy Griffith Show". On Andy Griffith, it is the color shows that look "bizarre". In my minds eye, I see "The Andy Griffith Show" as black and white, even though they did color shows.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David

Well, so far it looks as though what Erin was filming was for the BW:Complete Series boxed set that Sony Japan is going to release in December...which can be a good thing as it may signify that later on the US will get it.

This set looks AWESOME! It'll include all 254 episodes, all 13 episodes of "Tabitha" starring Lisa Hartman and the BW movie starring Nicole Kidman and Will Ferrell! PLUS an extra disc that has this bit that Erin filmed and who knows what else cause I can't translate the Japanese...can any of you?

Here's the link to Sony Japan's official site for the boxed set:

http://www.sonypictures.jp/homevideo...o/dvd.html#com

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
The set looks nice --but not very compact! The individual seasons look thicker than the US season sets. I don't think will get this type of packaging when the US boxed set is released. I think will get something smaller.

The only thing I don't like is: it looks like the plastic jewel trays are glued to cardboard folders. It doesn't look very durable. I have the Twilight Zone complete series and they have similar packaging, and the trays have come unglued from the folder when you open the binding. You have to be very gentle.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
From the stills of the first 2 seasons it looks like the complete set will contain the colorized versions. The original B&W were only released in the USA so this is not surprising. It also looks like extras are on the bonus disc . The season sets seem to be the same as previously released.

jacktripper1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacob
I wonder if it has the pilot of the Tabitha series is on there....?..... It looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am SO going to buy it! I just have to sell my 4 seasons of it first. I lvoe it! I hope the American edition will have this. BUt still, they had better put the pilot episode of the Tabitha series in there!

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter

I don't know about the Tabitha Japanese version, but the Tabitha American version does include the original pilot with a different cast on disc 2.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Aesthetically speaking, their complete series boxed set is far more pleasing than their individual season releases, which look like they were designed by Playskool.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks