What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

***HUGE*** Bewitched news from Tabitha!! (1 Viewer)

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Erin Murphy, who mainly portrayed Tabitha on BW, has been doing a blog (http://starwebsitescomerinmurphy.blogspot.com/) for some time now...she rarely discusses BW but she posted a doozy of a posting today about the show.

Here it is:

"I've received lots of e-mails asking about Bewitched DVD's & their lack of special features. Well Sony heard from you too & they want you to be happy. So, despite the fact that I rarely mention Bewitched on my blog, I figured you'd like to hear the latest news. Sony is going to be releasing Bewitched as a box set & next week we're filming the special features. I will be hosting a tour of the Warner Brothers Ranch where we filmed the exteriors for Bewitched & possibly the studio (now Sunset Gower, used to be Screen Gems). I'll fill you in on all the details after filming."

Hopefully we'll get some confirmation from TVShowsonDVD.com about this!! How exciting!!!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Bewitched as a box set? That's news? Haven't four seasons come out already? Is she talking about the fifth season? Or all eight seasons together?

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I think she means the whole series in one set considering we all ready do have the first four seasons....and I know she at least has the first season as she got it a couple weeks before it was on shelves.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Woo Hoo!!! I knew all seasons would make it, and this confirms it. I wonder if the box set will only be released after all seasons come out individually. Doesn't matter to me, as I'm gonna get it either way.

I know it's too much to ask, but maybe the extras will also include the sponsor openings and promos, etc. I'll keep dreaming & hoping, and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised!!

Thanks for the post, David!

LCD22

Screenwriter
Wow, that's great! If this is indeed a complete series box set, is there any way to get Sony to correct the problems in S3? I also hope they include the sponsor openings and promos.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Why would they go from Season Sets to the Complete Series all of a sudden? I think Erin Murphy just meant the "box set" for Season Five, and that's all. Is that the first season she was in the show?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Nope. Sounds like she's talking Series SEt. :frowning: Tabitha! I just freakin bought season 1, 2 & 3! I thought you were basically a good witch. :frowning:

Well, mine are still wrapped up in plastic. Should I re-sell them instead of opening?

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
The theory on the boxed set is that Sony is going to bundle the last 3 seasons with Dick Sargent (Seasons 6,7,8) with the last season with Dick York (Season 5) because so many people said they aren't going to buy the Dick Sargent years. This would give them an incentive to buy. At least that's the theory over at Harpies Bizarre (the Bewitched message board). Sony has already released the entire show on dvd in Japan, so this is not impossible to do as it is all ready to go.

Scamp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
I guess the first thing to confirm is if Erin is referring to future season releases or a complete series box set. If it is specials for a compete series box set, I guess the fans that support the show by buying the individual seasons will be getting slapped in the face again. I'd certainly like to know one way or the other as I already have the first two seasons, and I would like to know if I should stop and wait for the complete series set or not. Speaking of which, would it include seasons one and two in black & white or in color? I can't imagine they'd do a complete series set both ways, seeing as only those two seasons would be affected. My guess would be for a complete series set all in color in which case I'd be alright as the seasons one and two I purchased were the original black & white versions. Hopefully, Sony will provide some more details soon.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Probably Explains why some stores were selling Season 1 for $14.99 this past Xmas.:D

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Agreed! Hopefully she can ``clarify'' what she said and that gets posted or TVShowsOnDVD.com can get an item on this. I've purchased the first four seasons so far and I'd love extras, but I wouldn't be real crazy about buying a series set just to get extras. I'd need to know a lot more. :frowning:

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Erin posted more about the boxset though it doesn't really clarify if it's going to be the remaining seasons all in one, the whole series (which I assume it is) and whether or not there will be other extras such as the sponsor openings, cast commercials and ABC promos. She does however give recollections about the Ranch that are interesting and there is a photo of her standing in the doorway of 1164:

I promised you an update, so here it is. Yesterday we filmed the special features for the DVD box set. The weather forecast was calling for rain, but it was a beautiful day at 1164 Morning Glory Circle. As I drove up to the gate at the WB Ranch, the guard welcomed me home. As much as things in life change, the Ranch is still SO much the same. Of course there are changes to the Bewitched house & the neighboring houses, but everything is still so recognizable! I didn't see any of the bunnies that used to roam the Ranch (that I'd bring carrots for) but the pool I used to swim in on hot days was still there. In a happy twist (to illustrate the power of a little blog) I'd mentioned the other day about "possibly" continuing the tour at Sunset Gower Studios. The morning after my post, I received an e-mail from one of the senior v.p.s of the public relations firm that represents Sunset Gower. He had read my blog & was able to make that portion of the tour happen for us! They were filming the show "House" on Stage 3 yesterday when we visited & we were able to get some great footage on the lot. No word on when the DVD box set comes out (sorry, I asked!). It was a fun day with beautiful weather & a great crew & so nice to take a stroll down memory lane!

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
She uses the term "Bewitched as a DVD box set" so vaguely. I still don't think she means the whole series, or the remaining seasons. I think she just means Season Five. But what do I know?

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I posted on her blog asking her:

"Do you happen to know if any of the other extras will include the sponsor openings, cast commercials and ABC promos? That would be excellent!"

She replied:

"I have no idea what (if any) other features will be included. I know it was brought up that we couldn't mention certain things due to licensing issues, so I'm sure they have the same problems using commercials. I'll pass on your suggestions to Sony."

She also told another questioner that "They keep calling it a "box set" so I'm assuming it's the entire show."

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Key word: "assuming." All the seasons released so far can be called "box sets," so I'll do some "assuming" myself and assume that this is just Season Five she's talking about.

There's nothing wrong with that. The entire series, or grouping together Seasons Five through Eight, would have made an expensive set, and I doubt Sony would do that until each season is out separately.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Joe, I think you're right. It's 99% certain that the information refers to S5 only. It would be unusual to release the 1st half of BW in individual seasons and then release the remaining series in 1 box set.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I doubt they would add extras to Season Five after all this time. And they would call it the Season Five boxset to Erin, not just "a Bewitched Boxset." Given the large number of other series put out in boxset form after they complete their individual season releases, I bet Sony is doing a S1-8 boxset, or possibly a boxset of Sargent seasons. Even Paramount is putting all 8 seasons of The Andy Griffith Show out in a boxset now. That seems to be the wave of the future with popular shows.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I wonder if Sony really thinks that fans of "Bewitched" dislike the Sargent years so much, they won't buy Season Sets of them.

To be honest, I think Dick York overacted at times and once you got used to the change, there was nothing wrong with the other Dick.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
As a kid, I loved Sargent more because he yelled less, and I found him less threatening and more grounded. Now I prefer York. I think he's a great farceur. The Sargent years "seem" to be less popular but that could also be because the quality of the series in general went down during those years (as did the ratings). I'm going to buy all seasons because there's a lot of Sargent episodes which I love.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Speaking of yelling, I'm sure it was Sargent I heard utter a (gasp!) "damn" and/or a "hell" in an episode I saw in local-station reruns about 25-30 years ago. How often did this occur on the show? Only in the seventh and eighth seasons, which overlapped with edgier shows such as All in the Family?

As a kid at the time, I remember being surprised, as I guess I associated Bewitched with other shows of its era that never had much more than an occasional "darn" or other milder epithets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks