What's new

***HUGE*** Bewitched news from Tabitha!! (1 Viewer)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

It was actually York. Sargent never said anything like that really. In a 4th Season episode, York says, "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned." Also, in a 6th Season episode, Elizabeth Montgomery says, "Hell hath no fury liked a bugged witch!" but that was the extent of what they said. Even the following year, when quoting the famous line from "Macbeth" they had Liz water it down by saying, "Out, out darn spot." (Which was kinda understandable, as she was talking to a child at the time.) Despite the effects of All In The Family on tv shows in general, Bewitched's audience actually got younger as the years went by, so they would never allow even minor epithets in those last couple of years.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Maybe my memory's fuzzy, unless the words have been edited from current TV prints.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I don't remember Dick Sargent saying Damn or Hell. Not saying it didn't happen -- just don't remember.

I DO remember Samantha saying, Dam -- but not Damn, when she lost her powers in season 4/episode #113, "No Zip in My Zap." She's talking about her powers being built up from non-use, and if she doesn't use her powers the "dam" will burst.

They also used the word, "Jackass" freely in season 5/episode #167, "Daddy Does His Thing." Maurice turns Darrin into a mule, but they called him a jackass throughout.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I loved Erin's comments about visiting the ranch. I was a tv and movie extra for many years and we often shot by the Bewitched house. I even have a photograph of myself standing in front of it...! She's right about those rabbits...I worked at that ranch off and on from about 1996-2004 and there are no rabbits. Instead, there are dozens and dozens of stray CATS roaming about, and boy, are they mean!

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I've actually enjoyed both versions of Darren. I think Dick Sargent was less threatening toward Samantha than Dick York was ... I know I'll definately be buying the season sets until they release the final season since I've already purchased the first four season.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Sam did say "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" in one episode, which I believe was during the Sargent era.

Brandy681

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
I just think their is a better connection between Dick York and Samantha, than with Sargent. I have mostly seen episodes with York and have only seen a few episodes of Sargant aired on cable. I think that Dick York is going to be truly missed after Season 5 and therefore fans will not want to continue with the rest of the seasons! I sort of feel this way too, I mean the Darrin that I loved will no longer be there, seems so sad. I really want to get this set though because there are so many episodes that I haven't seen and maybe I can develop a liking for Sargant as well. I also missed a lot of the episodes when Sam had her second child and the later seasons. I own seasons 1-4 as well but before even purchasing these sets I have seen most of the shows allready. I have probably only seen 5-6 episodes from the seasons 6-8 and therefore want to get the rest of the seasons to see what I have missed. I read that the later seasons are not as good as the earlier seasons in the show with York as Darrin but I cannot judge being that I have only seen a few episodes. Maybe they are planning on doing season 5 as a box set and then seasons 6-8 as 1 complete set because Dick Sargent is in there and they are afraid that fans will not want to buy it without the additional bonuses. Sort of like Paramount did with I Love Lucy Season 7-9!!! Sony may make Bewitched Season 6-8 1 complete set and make the price lower and add addtional bonuses to increase the sells. I am not sure because there is no telling what they have planned and they maay just release them individually like they have been doing but it is food for though. Anyway I have located Sony's number which is 1-800-860-2878 and you can call and ask questions about this set. I am sure they cannot release a lot of information at this time but they should be able to let us know something.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
When I was growing up in the 70s and 80s it seems like it was the color episodes that were emphasized more on TV. I can't help but like those much better than the B&W for nostalgic reasons alone with nothing to do with York or Sargent. I really like all that color too, much like Gilligan and Lost in Space in color. However, if I had to pick one Dick I'd have to go with York. He fit the role better and had that "easily dominated" feel to him.

It's been a long time for me and this show. I'm happy to have the first 3 seasons on the shelf, as of now still unwrapped. I decided to view the first 2 seasons of Jeannie first. I've quite enjoyed the B&W episodes of Jeannie and I"m glad I didn't go with those freakish looking colorized versions of either show. It'd been weird to see them that way.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Agreed...I've seen the first two seasons of ``Bewitched'' in black and white, and while I don't remember many of those...it reminded me of why I loved the show so much...don't remember much of the Dick Sargent eps, but I guess in due time, I'll have to see if I preferred Durwood played by York or Sargent. Glad, tho, that I bought the Bewitched seasons in black and white, as they were originally aired and didn't fall at all for that colorized cr*p.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I considered those colorized ones for a short time. Like many I was thinking I could just turn down the color on the TV. But I read that doesn't quite work since the coloring process alters many things about the picture.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

To me, colorization is just a bad idea. If you can't stand watching black and white, don't watch it then. The one good thing about B&W is that it really makes you aware of contrasts better and sometimes it's easier (unless it's completely dark) to follow what's going than color, especially if color is in a really bright spot where sunlight or light glare bleeds the colors.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I like both Darrins but Sargent was the first Darrin I saw and later is when I saw the York shows.

Each had a different approach to the role, York played Darrin as loving Samantha but at the same time being unnerved and threatened by her and her family's witchcraft. Mostly for good reasons, I mean, what defense do you have against witchcraft(as portrayed in Bewitched)?

I remember "Sam To The Moon" where they were arguing and Darrin wanted to know where she had gone. Samantha said "to the moon..." and after almost doing the Jackie Gleason line she walked away and York did a genuiney nervous whistle showing he was totally shaken by the concept that his wife had been to the moon.

Sargent seemed to play a Darrin that was a bit more comfortable with the magic.

On the B and W seasons, whenever it was the first day of release, I could never find the non colorized versions so I got the colorized. Colorization has gotten a bit better so they don't actually look bad. Still, I will sometimes turn the color off (I really don't see much in the way of distortion with the grayscale). Still I intend to pick up the bona-fide black and white versions someday. If they end up doing this box set, that would be a perfect opportunity to make sure the B and W versions are gotten.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I bought the 1st-season a few months back, and enjoyed revisiting it. I vastly prefer that initial season, which not only soft-peddled the hocus-pocus, but also seemed to concentrate more on the Stevens' marital trials and tribulations, or various civic-minded tales of helping folks and contributing to their suburban community. I liked that more subtle approach, as opposed to the wall-to-wall magic, and witchy sub-culture, that eventually enveloped the series. But, anyway, Dick York was a fine dramatic actor, and I always enjoy seeing his pre-"Bewitched" roles.

jacktripper1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacob
Well, everybody, don't buy anymore bewitched sets. If you have kept track of Erin Murphy's Blog, then you will know that she recently created a myspace. Well, I knew it would be hard to get a response but, sent her a message. Askin about her life and her sister and stuff. Well, I also was curious about whther the Bewitched commentary and special feautures she did was for one season or a complete series set. So, I also asked her which one it was. She said it was for a complete series set!!!!! YAY!!!!! Although, she did say there was no set release date yet. I considered this both good and bad news. Good news is I know not to buy anymore Beweitched sets. Bad news is I already have 4 sets. Well, I want to buy the seasons as they come along but knowing this will be coming, I'll be quite alright in waiting for it. So if you are a diehard fan like me, DO NOT BUY ANYMORE BEWITCHED SEASON SETS AND WAIT FOR THE COMPLETE SERIES SETS WITHSPECIAL FEATURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Here's a Bewitched scoop:

I heard that they've hired a warlock to cast a spell to raise Elizabeth Montgomery,
Agnes Moorehead, and Dick York from the dead to have them do audio commentaries. :laugh:

Barbara.G

Stunt Coordinator

You are as intitled to your opinion as am I. I prefer color. Some people do, some people don't.

Esten

Supporting Actor
Well, doing so could cause sales to plummet, which in turn could cause them to dump plans for the complete set.

jacktripper1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacob
I guess that is true. But there are still SOOOO many people out there who are not members of this site and did not see my post so they dont now any different.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

I thought the colorized episodes of seasons 1 & 2 were a good match to the 3rd season color episodes. But then,there were no set or costume changes between the seasons - they could get a perfect match sampling from 3rd season.

However, While the colorization job on I DREAM OF JEANNIE is well done, the 'look' and sets of Season 1 were a little different from the color season 2 so they don't match well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks