What's new

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oh yeah, excellent film in 3D, particularly in size representation between the giants and humans.

You will immensely enjoy the 3D.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I should have explained, the review says the audio has great LFE, my SVS subwoofer is upstairs in the home cinema room where i have a projection system, it's only 2D capable, the plasma which i view 3D on is downstairs, unfortunately while i can enjoy great 5.0 sound with the plasma i don't get the very low frequency bass that a subwoofer can provide or the 7.1 audio that i can enjoy in the home cinema room, that's the issue, i can't take the subwoofer up and downstairs as it's heavy and huge.

Maybe i should watch in 3D and then next year watch again in 2D.

( Edited post to remove the .1 since that refers to the subwoofer - my duh moment that Homer would be proud of )

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That does explain much.

Hmmmm. Yeah, I would watch 3D first and then 2D at another time.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I picked up Jack the Giant Slayer for $15 @ Target on Saturday. Also Picked up WWZ for $17. Both 3D. Jack the Giant Slayer was fun.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I got The Hobbit Extended edition today along with Jack The Giant Slayer, briefly checked out discs 1 and 2 of The Hobbit in 3D, i have to say it looked most unimpressive to me, i have seen more depth in other films and i saw zero popout other than the opening Warner titles, it just did not wow me, maybe i was checking out the wrong scenes, the bits i checked out look like they would work just as well in 2D.

Am i wrong, is The Hobbit in 3D better than i am giving it credit for. ?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I know you love pop out Malcolm and I don't recall much in The Hobbit. I personally think the 3D is implemented very well nonetheless.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I like to see pop out but I don't think Hobbit needed it. Wasn't that kind of movie to me. The 3D just made the movie look amazing. Looked real.Btw I suggested just watching it and not trying to analyze it, just put it in and press play and watch the whole movie without worrying about pop-up.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Watched Disney's A Christmas Carol 3D on Christmas eve.

I had forgotten what a great looking and sounding film this was. The 3D has fantastic depth and lots of pop out moments. Combined with the soundtracks earth shaking bass, this makes for one powerful experience.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I watched the Dreamworks animated film, Rise Of The Guardians over Xmas, fabulous 3D although i thought the story a bit hit and miss, the opening Dreamworks logo has been re-done and has some excellent pop out 3D visuals, overall this one sounds great and looks great, a visual feast in 3D, i'd recommend at least a rental if you enjoy quality 3D, i'd go so far as to say this is how 3D should be done, lots of depth, lots of pop out. ( You listening Pixar ? )

I also watched The Polar Express again, i forgot just how good the 3D is on this one, when the ticket flies out of the screen and back in with the wolf pack running down the snowy landscape, just a wow moment right there, good movie too, perfect for Xmas.

Just watched another Dreamworks title, Monsters vs Aliens, i was expecting some ghosting issues during the second half of the film ( according to reviews ) but i hardly noticed much, just a tiny negligible amount during a few scenes, the 3D is superb in this one as is the sound mix, i also enjoyed the film a lot, Reese Witherspoon gives some head, some humour for the adults in the audience, also stay tuned after the titles for a great moment when the president puts his hands over the 2.35:1 black bars area and sticks his head out of the screen, the 3D short included on the disc also has ( just like the main feature ) great depth and popout.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I watched the Ice Age christmas special last week and recommend that one.
It has some good pop out and the story is just as good as the rest of the series which I like very much.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Waiting for that one to go under $10, it's $10.49 at Amazon right now but can't pay too much for a 25-minute thing.

fxrh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam Calvin
FoxyMulder said:
I watched the Dreamworks animated film, Rise Of The Guardians over Xmas, fabulous 3D although i thought the story a bit hit and miss, the opening Dreamworks logo has been re-done and has some excellent pop out 3D visuals, overall this one sounds great and looks great, a visual feast in 3D, i'd recommend at least a rental if you enjoy quality 3D, i'd go so far as to say this is how 3D should be done, lots of depth, lots of pop out.
In complete agreement with you on this one. As with many DreamWorks titles, this one has superlative 3D. I was especially impressed by how dark scenes were beautifully rendered with rich and inky blacks. Ron, if you haven't seen this yet, you should.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I also thought it was a cool effect to have the voice of Pitch emanating from various speakers.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Just finished watching MAN IN THE DARK. If this doesn't make this list I'd be very surprised.

The 3D is incredible! Even peoples elbows are sticking out at you during static scenes. Ron, I hope you get a chance to see this soon on your new Samsung.

I have never seen this film. So seeing such a fantastic transfer of it for the first time was a real treat. Many of my favorite character actors are in it. Right off the bat I noticed Mary Wickes as a nurse. The list goes on throughout the film.

You want "in your face"? This film has it in spades! This is the best 3D transfer of a classic film that I've seen so far this year!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Reed Grele said:
I have never seen this film. So seeing such a fantastic transfer of it for the first time was a real treat. Many of my favorite character actors are in it. Right off the bat I noticed Mary Wickes as a nurse. The list goes on throughout the film.
If you're talking about the nurse/receptionist in that early scene, that was Maudie Prickett and not Mary Wickes. I don't remember Mary but Maudie stood out in her one brief scene.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Matt Hough said:
If you're talking about the nurse/receptionist in that early scene, that was Maudie Prickett and not Mary Wickes. I don't remember Mary but Maudie stood out in her one brief scene.
You're right. I always get them confused. Sorry Maudie, must have been a 3D side effect. ;)

Mary Wickes:

Nurse.jpg

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Another character actor in MAN IN THE DARK that had me saying to myself "now where have I seen that face before?" throughout the whole film was "Cookie" played by Nick Dennis. After the film was over, I had to look him up on IMDB. Of course! He played Dionysius in the 1960 epic Spartacus.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks