What's new

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Ronald Epstein said:
There are a lot of personal issues I am going through on this end, so I really can't get to this title as quickly as I would like.

Looked at the first 5 minutes of it today before I was interrupted.

Good Gravy! Did my eyes hurt!

I thought my 3D eyewear went bad -- both of them.

The crosstalk was horrendous. It was hard to get a clear, 3D image. All the pop-out came with sever ghosting and trying to focus everything into something comprehendible.

I am going to give this another try --- but just for what I watched thus far --- it looks like a very sloppy 3D restoration.

I am willing to wait to hear from anyone else that has given this a look.
Ron,

You have the HW55 yes ?, you said you looked at the first 5 minutes, how long did you have the projector showing images before you put comin at ya on ?.

The Sonys need a lot of warm up before 3D can be displayed half decently. I have my hw40 on for up to 30 minutes before attempting 3D, from a cold start crosstalk is horrendous with any 3D titles.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Darn, I did not want to buy this but after Rons experience I have no choice, saying that my hw40 has been taken into Sony service for several issues so I'm projectorless :(

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Panman40 said:
Yes but I see ghosting with our local cinema, I'm thinking if your not sat completely on axis then you see ghosting.

I've only seen a few 3D films at a theater in recent years, and since they were conversions, and there wasn't a lot of "pop out". I didn't notice any crosstalk. Where you're seated may have an effect, but I'm usually as close to midway back, dead center as possible.

All I can say about 3D on my Sharp 30k DLP is that it produces the best 3D images that I have ever seen in my life. I love this projector for watching 3D films so much, that I bought TWO of them! And lots of extra lamps!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I am sure crosstalk is a result of the slower panel response times on SXRD and not because of any sloppy work, response times are in milliseconds for that tech, for DLP it's micro seconds, much, much faster.

I have bought this, look forward to viewing it and think it will be crosstalk free.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Panman40 said:
Yes but I see ghosting with our local cinema, I'm thinking if your not sat completely on axis then you see ghosting.

It also depends on the kind of 3D technology and glasses that the theater are using.

RealD uses circular polarized lenses, and those allow the most freedom of movement; you can move your head back and forth, up and down, side to side, and the image will be fine no matter how much you move. On the other hand, IMAX 3D uses linear polarization, and while left to right movement is okay, if you move your head at any sort of tilt or angle, you'll see ghosting. I prefer IMAX 3D over RealD because it still tends to be a much brighter image, but RealD does have the better glasses system.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
FoxyMulder said:
I am sure crosstalk is a result of the slower panel response times on SXRD and not because of any sloppy work, response times are in milliseconds for that tech, for DLP it's micro seconds, much, much faster.
I have bought this, look forward to viewing it and think it will be crosstalk free.
I'm dying to see what you think of this film Malcolm. You want pop out?? You may never want it again after seeing this film.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Josh Steinberg said:
It also depends on the kind of 3D technology and glasses that the theater are using.

RealD uses circular polarized lenses, and those allow the most freedom of movement; you can move your head back and forth, up and down, side to side, and the image will be fine no matter how much you move. On the other hand, IMAX 3D uses linear polarization, and while left to right movement is okay, if you move your head at any sort of tilt or angle, you'll see ghosting. I prefer IMAX 3D over RealD because it still tends to be a much brighter image, but RealD does have the better glasses system.
I have to disagree Josh, it's real 3D cinema we have and the vertical viewing angle seems to be the critical issue, if your in a row looking slightly up or down the ghosting is a problem. I do prefer 2 and 3D viewing at home!.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
FoxyMulder said:
Like I said already Malcolm, if the Sony is not fully warm ghosting is a problem.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Panman40 said:
I have to disagree Josh, it's real 3D cinema we have and the vertical viewing angle seems to be the critical issue, if your in a row looking slightly up or down the ghosting is a problem. I do prefer 2 and 3D viewing at home!.

Are you sure that it's an official RealD branded cinema, and not another cinema using a different kind of 3D? I have never experienced that at any RealD showing I've attended, and I've tried very hard to test the limits of what each 3D technology can do, down to moving from row to row in an empty theater to find out exactly where I like to sit depending on the projection technology.

I don't mean to doubt you, I've just never experienced that behavior from RealD before. It sounds more like something's not right at that particular theater.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Josh Steinberg said:
Are you sure that it's an official RealD branded cinema, and not another cinema using a different kind of 3D? I have never experienced that at any RealD showing I've attended, and I've tried very hard to test the limits of what each 3D technology can do, down to moving from row to row in an empty theater to find out exactly where I like to sit depending on the projection technology.

I don't mean to doubt you, I've just never experienced that behavior from RealD before. It sounds more like something's not right at that particular theater.
I'm pretty sure Josh, they state RealD in the cinema and on the glasses. They do seem to be cutting back on the amount of 3D they show though. I have never seen Imax yet as there are none locally to me.

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
My son and I watched roughly the first 20 minutes of Comin' At Ya! on a Sony XBR-75X940C 4K Ultra HDTV before we moved on to the night's movie, Iron Man 2. It took a couple of minutes for our eyes to adjust, but eventually a mild amount of discomfort, almost disorientation, ended and we settled in. Both of us saw some ghosting but not as much as I expected. The 940C is a real workhorse with 3-D. I'm going to try and watch the entire movie next weekend.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I've held off on ordering Comin' At Ya at this point because my plasma is notoriously ghost prone with extreme 3D, although the Bubble didn't give it any problems. I think I'll order it with Gog and maybe Inferno.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Okay, so it's not a defect in my glasses.

However, this is unacceptable that it won't play correctly on every system.

Never had another 3D title -- within the hundreds that I own -- act this way.

I just watched the first six minutes on my Panasonic AE8000 projector. I saw some ghosting in a few of the scenes but most were fine. I haven't see it in awhile but I think Amityville 3-D has more ghosting problems than Comin at Ya!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Had to get the laptop out to comment, is there a problem using iPad with this new forum software. ?

I received Comin' At Ya today, quick delivery, will check out some scenes later to see what all the fuss is about.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Had to get the laptop out to comment, is there a problem using iPad with this new forum software. ?

Malcolm:

If you are using the HTF app on your iPad, yes, it is now dead. Something new is in the works.

In the meantime, the forum is now available through whatever browser you normally use on your iPad. And it has been configured especially for that experience. It is "mobile-friendly."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    papill6n
    Recent bookmarks