What's new

HTF REVIEW: "The Time Machine" (with screenshots) - REPOST (1 Viewer)

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Badly written film, so little villain time!!!
Act 1 of the story lacks a true introduction to the characters and the story. I like the homage to George Pal, very nicely done. Act 3 was quite weak because we don't care for anyone!
The special effects were not bad at all. I didn't hear too much from the Sub, maybe I should put the volume up next time.:thumbsdown: :frowning:

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Damn shame. I was looking forward to this film when it was released.

I was so bored at the theater I left for the bathroom and made no effort to return quickly.

It was a pretty movie though. Samantha Mumba was nice to look at too.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Eric Fisher sez
anyone else find it interesting how well the English language survived 300,000 years in the movie?
For that matter one could ask the same of Star Wars, Alien, Star Trek, etc. At least Star Trek has Klingon language.

I don't really think it due to lack of creativity, but rather laziness.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
:confused:
Aren't they basically the same thing? If you exercise some creativity, you're not being lazy!
Also, Star Wars took place "a long time ago" - not 30,000 years in the future, and it had more "foreign languages" than the Star Trek series did. And I would estimate that the Alien flicks take place no more than 100 years in the future. No reason English would be an obsolete language by then.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I thought the movie was good for the simple reason that I hate a remake that follows the original. I mean what's the point if the story follows the original - watch the original then because that's what you want. I want a spin, differences, etc, etc, etc. That's not to say I don't like th origianl because I do. But the last thing I want is a simple remake of a movie I have already seen. Where would the suprises be?
I think the biggest problem here has been said, i.e. Hollywood has long since lost their once original ways and now fall back on thier own tired themes. This is such a shame considering all of the great novels that could be scripted for a great movie.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Scott Weinberg sez
And I would estimate that the Alien flicks take place no more than 100 years in the future. No reason English would be an obsolete language by then.
That makes sense. I've never noticed any mention of any warp capability and they do have suspended animation. Frankly their society (what little we've seen) seems to have taken the direction that is most logical based on our world.

derek

Second Unit
I finally got around to my first viewing of the movie/dvd last night. My expectations were low considering all the negative reviews...however I did enjoy the film. As a big fan of the George Pal movie...I think the new version had enough twists to stand it apart. The films staggers at some points...but the underlying themes from Wells' book keep it afloat. The visual and dts audio is quite good (nice ambient effects esp in NYC.) As a casual scifi/action film I'd recommend it.

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
With regard to some of the footage that didn't make its way into the actual film, the director's commentary track explains the changes made for the final jump forward in time:

As shown briefly in the film's trailer, Guy Pearce's final jump forward in time originally depicted the Earth as an Eloi paradise. According to the director's commentary however, it was felt that there needed to be a dramatic impetus for Pearce to return from that time and so a dismal future ruled by the Morlocks was inserted. Not a cheap decision, considering that the CGI shots for the Eloi paradise (as shown in the trailer) had already been completed!

And I'm squarely in the camp that was surprised by all the negative reviews for The Time Machine. Not only is this a great looking/sounding DVD, but the film itself is fairly enjoyable. I'd put it in the category of "mindless fun," just like Tim Burton's "re-imagined" Planet of the Apes.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I didn't think this was nearly as bad as the reviews made it out to be. Fun popcorn flick with very high production values and a very nice dvd presentation.

Not bad at all when taken on it's own rather than held up against George Pal's version.

I got the impression that this was shot anamorphic rather than super 35?

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I was entertained, but I did feel that there were holes in the script. The characters definitely needed more development. After their introductions, it seemed to me that their conflicts, both personal and external, were too quickly resolved.

What annoyed me about the dvd though, were the special features, especially the making of the make up and the time machine featurettes. Both were inconsistant with the anamorphic shots of the movie and interviews.

To the producers of the dvd extras: make up your mind. Either shoot the interviews in anamorphic or keep all the extras in matte widescreen or heaven forbid, pan & scan.

I would like to know how this hiccup was addressed to those who have auto sensing anamorphic features on their tvs.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I thought the transfer was quite spotty. Much of it looked good, but quite a few brief sequences looked like they were sourced from VHS: very soft and murky. Disappointing coming from DreamWorks.

Adam

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Wow...when was the last time a movie was so vilified, and gets a thread that has almost 7000 views! Me thinks there are some closet Time Machine fans out there!:emoji_thumbsup:

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I just watched it last night as a rental from Netflix. Yep, it's as bad as everyone has been saying.

It doesn't hold a candle to the original 60's movie. That film was a warmer more sweet telling of the tale.

Nothing worked in this version. Even the Time Machine taking off wasn't as impressive as it should have been.
The scenes in 2024 NYC seemed rushed and looked like an outake for Earthquake or something.

When the movie got to the future, it resembled Planet Of The Apes, there was even a Star Wars scene thrown in (when he falls into the watery pit).

TG I didn't buy this one even though the BB price was good.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Gee, imagine that...a Dreamworks DVD where the DTS track sound astoundingly better than the Dolby Digital track....it is to wonder.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks