What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Simpsons Season Six (1 Viewer)

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Props to the people who do the Simpsons DVDs for offering the old packaging as well as the Simpson head ones.

Paul

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'll see how it looks on my shelf and how much the S/H is. Very nice of FOX to offer this.

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
I have over 500 DVDs with a lot of TV boxes. I stack my TV series 4-5 deep depending on the thickness with the current season I am watching facing out, so the new box works well for me and is also nice looking in my opinion.
Someone else said it, but we are always complaining about the different packaging other regions are getting. Now when we get something different, people are complaining.
I am glad they are offering the old versions for others, but I hope they continue the heads for those of us that like them.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

The most simple & logical idea would be to offer BOTH the standard & the new head cases starting with season 7. That way the consumer can decide which one he wants without having to go through all this bullshit of calling a phone # to order a case and waiting for the case to come in the mail.

Anyway I'm picking this up on Tuesday. I'll think about ordering the case until after I see this new style.

Mike*SC

Second Unit

Except that stores would have to stock both, and few stores have the shelf space to offer two variants of the same title.

The idea of the "head cases" is to attract attention on store shelves. By definition, that is unnecessary for anybody who would frequent this forum. But despite our obsessions, most consumers have no idea that another season of the Simpsons is arriving on Tuesday. Clearly, Fox hopes (and I suspect they're right) that Homer's head will stand out on cluttered shelves and inspire impulse purchases. I find it astonishing good will (which I appreciate) that they're offering old-style boxes for those of us who, in their words, fear change.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
If they were planning to make 5 season sets (6-10) with different character's heads, wouldn't they all match on your shelves at that point? Season 1 didn't match anything until they put out Season 2.

Can anyone post a picture of the replacement Season 6 box? What color/design did they go with?

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor

The spine for Homer's head is black, so I'd guess that the traditional packaging will be black as well. Of course, I have absolutely nothing to back that up, so I may be completely wrong.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
Oh, so it's not taller than the others. Could you post pictures of the inside/back of the case?

Thanks for that picture!

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
Any edits to the episodes (season four had a changed line, so says TV Shows on DVD, and season five has an episode cut in syndication in its entirety)?

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure why the Season 5 alteration is listed, as pretty much all of these episodes include the entire versions of episodes that are edited in syndication.

Daniel-M

Second Unit
got the box today, i am going to try to get a replacement box. It's not that it's bad or anything(well it's not great) but i fear change, i am anal-retentive nerd who likes my boxes to line up perfectly on my shelf and i have real issues with having discs inside a head. It's a head for god's sake that's sick

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
For those of you who plan to get the replacement box...what do you plan to do with the head?

I'll just throw it in my basement, then most likely lose it.

Jeremy Montano

Auditioning

There shouldn't be. The deal with the season four line was that there were actually two network versions of the episode with different versions of the line, and they just selected one (though I've heard at another board from someone close-ish to the show that they selected that version by mistake, instead of the first aired version). As for the season five episode, those are all the network versions too. It's possible one of the episodes didn't have any cuts in syndication (there are some that don't), and whoever submitted that goofed and thought that because they didn't see any "new" scenes that it must have been a syndication version.

I think the only episode with "alternate" (outside of syndication) versions on season six is the "Two Dozen and One Greyhounds" episode, where a shot of Santa's Little Helper (the dog) mounting his girlfriend dog was initially censored at the last minute by Fox, but wasn't censored in Canada, and the syndication version also follows the pre-censored one (an originally rejected more graphic version later appeared in New Zealand by mistake). I'm guessing the version the dvd will have will be the uncensored one shown in Canada, but we'll have to see.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Simpsonsbox.com is live, apparantly there is a shipping charge, $2.95 in the US and $4.95 to Canada, and you have the choice of sending your receipt, the POP from the episode guide book or the insert that advertises the alternate packaging.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
The www.simpsonsbox.com site is hilarious (although some hard-nosed stuffed shirts might frown at the obvious tongue-in-cheek humor that is evident on that site). ...........

>> A dislike for storing your digital media inside a hollowed out human head

>> Proof-of-Purchase (one of the following):

- Original sales receipt
or
- The 800# insert you found in the box (see a picture)
or
- The original proof of purchase on the back of the episode guide booklet (see a picture)

>> For U.S. residents $2.95 for shipping and handling
For Canadian residents $4.95 for shipping and handling
Please make check or money order payable to 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment (Cash is not accepted - We pay for the package and you pay to send it)

>> A rear molar (optional)

>> A solemn promise to stop your whining

>> Redemption form (We're coming to this next)....

-------------------------
-------------------------

:laugh: :laugh:

I love it! And I'll betcha they get a few bloody molars in the mail along with the token $2.95 too -- what do ya bet? :)

I'm gonna order the replacement box too (while checking the box marked "Big Baby" as the "Reason For Wanting The Old-Type Box")....but I love the jabs of utter sarcasm they're gettin' in at our expense. :)

Seth--L

Screenwriter

It was just moved to shipping soon, and the estimated delivery date is today (I have Amazon prime and the distribution center for DVDs/CDs/Books is just outside the city).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks