What's new

HTF REVIEW: The Honeymooners "Classic 39" Episodes (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

John_VI

Second Unit
Well, according to the Paramount website:

"Since its premiere on October 1, 1955, The Honeymooners has established itself as a cornerstone of American television. Amazing...considering that only 39 full-length classic episodes were filmed, all included in this collection!....This comprehensive DVD collection is an everlasting monument to one of the funniest and most enduring TV shows of all time."

So I guess the answer to my question is....ALL OF THEM!!

BrianP

Supporting Actor
Hmm... and here I thought that less than a buck per episode was a steal!
And what is wrong with trying to find the best price possible? I will probably purchase the set when I can lock into a good deal. When you purchase a lot of DVDs every dollar saved helps.

Alex S

Second Unit
...and what about Har Har Har HARVEY!!!!!!!
Harvey is a lovely name.

I can not wait for this set to arrive.
My wife and I are huge Honeymooners fans.
We are both original members of R.A.L.P.H.
(Royal Association for the Longevity and Preservation of the Honeymooners).
We attended the R.A.L.P.H. convention in the early 80's that was the same weekend as Hurricane Gloria. All 4 of the starts were scheduled to come but only Joyce Randolph showed up due to the hurricane. It was a riot !

:D

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I got to admit, after looking at the screenshots Scott was nice enough to post, they look night and day compared to the worn out prints we are all so used to on tv. :emoji_thumbsup: Also on the thin pack subject, when i was at the store yesterday to get my looney tunes golden, i walked over to the tv on dvd section just to look at the dick van dyke sets , to see what the thinpacks look like.Very unique, never saw cases that tiny, looks cool though.:)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I wonder if the 2.0 stereo remix on the dvds is any good, or will it sound forced.Assuming there is one, because when the specs were first announced i believe it said, original mono sound, plus a new 2.0 stereo remix. :D :D :D

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I don't have the set with me at the moment, but I don't recall a stereo track. I do have Paramount's press release in front of me, and it makes no mention of a stereo track.

Supplemental Features

• Full screen format; Dolby Digital English Mono; sub-titled in English and Spanish and closed-captioned for the hearing-impaired.
• Television special hosted by Audrey Meadows
• Original series opening and closing sequences

I'll try to remember to double check tonight.

-Scott

John KB

Second Unit
Has anyone seen the Columbia House versions on DVD? I'd like to know how this set compares to these in regards to video quality. That set, (columbia), is accross 7 dvds rather than 5, this also may be a factor.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Only had time to watch 2 episodes so far, the sound and picture for such an old show is phenomenal !:) Also as Scott mentioned in his review,the first episode has some minor problems.But the other 2 i watched looked and sounded awesome !Bravo Paramount !:)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The first episode sounds muffled and very hard to hear.......I don't remember it sounding this way before.

Hey Alex (and everyone else...),

I was a loyal member of RALPH as well, back then. (...even though I was only 7 or 8 at the time!) They used to show the Classic 39 on WPIX all the time, and I started watching them as a kid. Then I begged and pleaded 'till my parents took me into that convention...it was the best!

LOL...I have the most vivid memories of Joyce Randolph's interview session at that convention. They (don't know who -- Turner maybe?) had just started colorizing a bunch of Honeymooners episodes, and it was a big thing. I thought (even back then) that it was a travesty, and I wanted to ask her what she thought of it, so raised my hand and asked. However, the way I (being around 7 at the time) asked the question, it didn't get across that I thought the colorizing was a terrible idea, and everyone started booing and hissing. LOL...I was so embarrased!! Ah, memories...

Also remember meeting Bob and Peter, the guys who started RALPH, and wrote a couple cool Honeymooners books that are still around. Good times.

Can't wait to get the set!

On another note, I've been holding off on getting the Lost Episodes discs, as I keep hoping they'll be repackaged in a cheaper format. (Much like this box set.) Anyone know if that's ever going to happen?

Being the ball,
-Brian

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Can someone please verify if the sound was muffled on the vhs release....or if it was muffled on t.v....I'm just talking about the first episode.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Well i have an old vhs best of honeymooners release that has the first episode,the sound is definitely better on the vhs.But dont let that dissapoint you, as the other episodes ive watched so far look and sound awesome considering their age !:emoji_thumbsup: I dont know what went wrong with the first episode, its a shame because its 1 of my top 5 favorites of the classic 39.I hate to say this, but i wish they could have messed up another episode instead of that 1, lol !:D

Alex S

Second Unit
Brian (Brother Racoon),

I was a little older than you at that time, I think around 22. I went with my girlfriend (now my wife) and our best friends (also married). We had a great time. I remember walking through the parking lot to the auditorium and someone in front of us dropped his keys. A total stranger next to him says "leave it there the cat will get it" ! Then another guy laughs and repeats it "leave it there the cat will get it" and the girl he's with says "I heard him", I heard him".
We were cracking up! :D

We spent the entire afternoon with other Honeymooners nuts and had a great time.

I picked up the set yesterday and watched a few episodes last night. :) WOW !

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I gotta stop running out and buying every box set that comes along. So, I told my wife I want it for Christmas! And if I don't get it.... BANG, ZOOM!

Ric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks