What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Hellboy - Special Edition (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
This disc is a bit overcompressed...as mentioned in the review, this shows up when there is mist on the screen, but the picture also looks somewhat filtered during high-action scenes.

There is a lot of stuff on the first disc (the movie & soundtrack itself takes up only half of the disc). I'm thrilled to have these excellent, otherwise unavailable, cartoons, though. If anything I'd remove the documentary from disc one and present it elsewhere.

If a Superbit comes out, or the Director's cut doesn't have extras on Disc 1, we could certainly see an upgrade in picture quality. Still, this is a good looking disc, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

IIRC, Del Toro said that his director's cut commentary will be similar to his new commentary on the Devil's Backbone special edition - not a "how we made it" commentary but rather analyzing the film and placing it in a wider literary context. I'm looking forward to hearing what he has to say about Hellboy since the commentary on the Devil's Backbone special edition is pretty damn good.

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
Having just got the DVD, but not having had the chance to watch the film in theatres, since it has not been released yet here in Spain, I was wondering if the heavy "posterization" effect on the HELLBOY logo right after the opening credits is intentional.

It is so glaring that I want to believe so, but then again, the blizzard that comes right after that is also quite heavy in the compression artifacts department.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks