What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

they were celebrating his 500th birthday?

i havent read the books but, i would guess nick was somewere in his 50's or older so if they were celebrating his b-day not his death day i would figure the story with his 500th birthday took place in the 40's or so.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Ernest,
Having not read the books, I got the distinct feeling that James Potter's shape was a deer...either that or they were ripping off Miyasaki's Mononoke Hine.

;)

That Harry thought he saw his father, and then it turnned out the way it did, I was able to put those two together...didn't seem like it needed to be said.

just my $0.02

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Is the flash frame a new copy protection tool (it better not be since we're having to deal with this annoyinng CAPS coding on film negatives now), or is there some sort of significance to "302?"

Dan

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Having not read the books, I got the distinct feeling that James Potter's shape was a deer..." How would you know that James Potter has a shape of any kind, since it is never mentioned in the film, not one single time? You can't ask an audience to connect the dots if you don't give them the dots in the first place.

Someone above said they are saving this information for the fourth film, which makes less sense the more I think about it. That info really has nothing to do with Goblet of Fire.

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
Good review. I've never read the books but my friends got me to watch the HP movies. I liked HP3 the most so this will be the first of the 3 that I purchase.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Ernest Rister wrote:I agree completely. My family and I were lost on this, until I read your spoilers.;)

Thank You for the info!

Paul

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
well THIS is interesting. I'll be looking to see what doofy little number I get when I pick the disc up today.

Seriously, this "We must destroy the movies in order to save them" stuff is starting to get really REALLY ridiculous and irritating.

Also--the setting of the Harry Potter books is in the mid to late nineties somewhere--at least one of those books specifically mentions a Sony Playstation.

And I haven't seen this movie yet, but
leaving out the fact that James is an animagi kinda kneecaps one of the major hooks of the book, doesn't it?

Should be interesting to see how this movie goes with that whole subplot basically chopped out.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I like the movie a great deal. Unlike others, I can't really rank one HP movie over any of the others. They're all sort of equal in my eyes, with their own merits and debits. Azkaban is the best acted and has the best visual f/x but it feels choppy -- like "Greatest Hits from The Prisoner of Azkaban". The other HP films were 3 hrs. long and lack some of the visual poetry of Cuaron, but on the other hand they felt like complete stories with nothing missing (even though book fans know differently). Still, well worth anyone's time. Very lush and interesting film.

Hank VT

Agent
The movie moved outrageously fast which helped it IMHO. The movie is long on time and it gets a lot done in that time. You almost wished they had included more which is rare with a movie of this length.

I was hoping for an extra hour on the DVD. My daughter who loves the books swears that will happen in the next SE release of Azkaban.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hank,

Nothing "extra" was shot, as in deleted scenes that could be added back.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
There are numerous deleted scenes featured on Disc Two, some of which featuring unfinished blue-screen f/x and wire work. Go to the "Divination" section. Nothing amazing, all of them are very brief, and there is no mention of the identities of Mooney, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Matthew,

I've got the same "301" stamped onto my copy of the DVD. I don't know if it's an error or some sort of copyright stamp but it's annoying.

CarlosL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carlos
Herb, is there a way you could contact WB and see what's going on with the numbers popping up on the screen? If this is a new form of copy protection, it's just sad... :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.