What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

TedD

Supporting Actor
I watched it last night, and I would expect the calibration of the DVD playback chain would have a large impact on the visibility of the issue.

I initially didn't see the problem, but a very slight increase of the black level above my normal calibrated value revealed the issue.

I suspect that the bright areas of the diagonal bars are actually encoded at or below 7.5 IRE and shouldn't be visible on a properly calibrated system

Ted

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

As I've previously said, the monitor settings are a major factor in the degree to which this interference pattern is visible. However, this isn't just a question of proper calibration. My monitor has been professionally calibrated (and I routinely tweak it with AVIA), but I can still see the patterns. Even if the interference can be disguised with adjusted settings, they shouldn't be there. It's a fundamental element of a good transfer that the blacks should be solid -- literally.

Those of you who aren't seeing it might want to experiment with your brightness controls. Take a look at the beginning of chapter 2 (1:36), which holds on a black screen for a few seconds until the door opens to reveal the obnoxious aunt.

M.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Dangit Michael! ;) I did what you suggested and brightened the image up considerably and it's there. However, normal use (calibrated) I noticed it now when played back but it's barely visible. But it's there.

Where exactly are these numbers and I'll check that too.

Warner Bros definitely need to recall these.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
It will take an act of God for Warner to issue a recall on such a big release. They probably will say these problems are a "normal" part of the movie, and were "director approved" or some such BS.

Dan

CarlosL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carlos
Have we gotten an official response back from WB about just what exactly those numbers are?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Mine's on the wall under Sirius Black's poster when Mr. Weasley and Harry begin their talk in The Leaky Cauldron.

I think someone posted a pic of it somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.