What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Glengarry Glen Ross" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (2 Viewers)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info, Patrick. :emoji_thumbsup:
I didn't know that certain states have different sales taxes. Is that an old thing?
Can't wait to get stuck into Glengarry!
Thanks gain,
Gordy

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Excellent News!!

I am on this like white on rice!!

This is truly an excellent film for ACTING PERFORMANCES!!! No bang bang, shoot'em up here folks.

Greg

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator
Good review Ron. Without a doubt this is a acting tour-de-force. I'll be picking it up for sure.

Gordon,

In the US you don't pay sales tax on items that cross a state line. Both Joel and DVD Empire are in PA, hence they must charge sales tax when shipping items to Joel.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
I'm sure like all new releases it will be available for $15.99 or lower at major chains.
I agree with CraigL: it's not really a NEW release so probably won't have a great release price...we'll see.
FYI for all BestBuy shoppers:
*IF* it's $19.99 at BestBuy, you could use their new brochure/coupon ("buy 3 DVDs at $19.99 or more and get $5.00 off the total purchase"). This new coupon is good till 6/30/03!!!
The coupon is hidden on the last page of their latest brochure which is blue with 3 DVDs pictured on the front: Blazing Saddles, L.A. Confidential and The Matrix.
Be sure to grab a handful of these to last you till next June!

David Biggs

Agent
So looking forward to this. Thanks for the review Ron.

BTW, the movie is so good, I'd easily pay $50 for it if I had too...

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Finally! Thanks for the great review, Ron...not that I needed it ;) I was sold since it was announced, but to hear that it looks as good as I could hope it would just ices everything.
For the film itself, in my mind, still the most perfectly acted movie caught on tape. Jack Lemmon is at the absolute top of his game and everyone else isn't far behind.
Bruce

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I'm glad to hear that this film gets the transfer it deserves. The acting and writing are top-notch. I'm not a big fan of the film, but I am happy to see that the fans are gettting a wondeful transfer of it. Enjoy it guys. After all these years, this film finally made it to DVD.

-Dean-

Christopher_J_F

Stunt Coordinator
I have to admit that when I heard Artisan was
handling the release of this New Line Cinema film,
I got very concerned. There is no doubt that Artisan
is one of the worst studios in existence when it
comes to its DVD transfers.
Yes, Artisan has had some bumps lately, but I will always love them for the immaculate transfer they did for TWIN PEAKS S1!

Jodee

Screenwriter
It's supposed to be $19.99 at Best Buy, but you will also automatically receive a $5 gift card with purchase.
So it's really $14.99 (although you get the $5 off on a future purchase.)
I'm going to do this deal instead of ordering online. I buy eough at Best Buy that I can always use the $5 off in the coming weeks! :)
I've never seen this film, but have heard enough great things to buy it sight unseen.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
I'm considering a blind purchase here, guys. What other movies are out there similar to this one...perhaps I've seen some of those.
It sounds like a fantastic film though.
On a related note, I loved the Simpsons episode titled 'Realty Bites' in which Marge became a realtor. :D

josh4040

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
I definetly recommend this movie sight unseen, I was told though that the movie Prime Gig with Vince Vaughn is similar, but I have not yet seen it, definetly give this a shot it is tottally worth a rental, but for 14.99 how can you go wrong on this!

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
After some quick checking on this set, it looks like the commentary track from the laserdisc featuring Jack Lemmon is not included. I don't think we can blame Artisan here. My guess is that whoever owns it (I'm guessing either the Lemmon estate or Pioneer) wants way too much money.

Even with this, I'm still happy I sold the LD. The transfer on this DVD is stunning.

Jeff

Alex S

Second Unit
I definetly recommend this movie sight unseen, I was told though that the movie Prime Gig with Vince Vaughn is similar, but I have not yet seen it, definetly give this a shot it is tottally worth a rental, but for 14.99 how can you go wrong on this!
Where is it for $14.99 ?

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I swore there was another Glengarry Glen Ross thread recently, but now HTF search doesn't show it!

Anyhow, anybody in Canada managed to get a copy of it? Both futureshop.ca and absound.ca list them as out of stock! Is GGR ever going to arrive in Canada?

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Max,

GGR's release date for Canada is the 26th.

That and the bilingual thing made it worthwhile to order from Amazon.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks