What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

DVD Review HTF Review: Dawn of the Dead - Unrated Director's Cut (Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

TedT

Second Unit
I agree with you Lou.

Wow. What a great film. I was cheering for certain characters by the end of the movie all in vain though. Was sad when it ended!

I know I'll get flack for this, but I thought it was better than the original which seemed dated/cheesy to me (and I've watched a ton of horror films in my day). Just my opinion. This version was brilliant and worked (for me) beautifully.

Very unsettling.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter

I doubt anyone would give you flack for this statement though Ted. I first saw the original DOTD when it first came out in 1978 and have owned it both on VHS (cost me $90.00) and DVD and am a great fan of the movie. However, you are absolutely right, the movie does look dated now, but then again, by today's standards, so does "Star Wars." By today's standards, the makeup is pretty cheesy looking, and Tom Savini and George Romero both agree that the green makeup used on most of the zombies in that film could have been better. The film, I believe, still works because of the story line and the characters. I still love watching it despite those complaints though. I saw the 2004 version 4 times in the theaters and enjoyed it each time. I especially liked the CJ character who is at first a real idiot and in time turns out to be one of the heros. That is why I think that complaints about the characters in the 2004 version being shallow and one dimensional are not very valid. I thought the characters were great. Nope, no flack here from this Romero zombie affeccionado at all!!;)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

You get the regular slip-cover over a standard case. Actually, my metal cover came in a seperate box, and I had to ask the clerk for it.

It's a nice case, solid aluminum-looking, with the movie title embossed on one side. HOWEVER, it says FUTURE SHOP on the spine. I'm going to see if I can remove that with some solvent or something. :D If it does, great, if not, I can always put it with the open-side out, displaying the side of the slip-cover. Or I can just ditch it... it's not like it cost anything. :)

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Sorry Kevin, actually I'm rooting for the Red Birds. I hope the "curse" raises it's head tonight. Damn Beantown boys!!!

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I guess I am pretty much the "voice of dissent" on this title! I watched it today and was quite disappointed, considering the comments here. Story-wise, I agree with the "re-imagining" tag vs. remake. But many of the characters were just too annoying to even care who got killed! And the whole scene when Nicole goes into the gun shop to get the dog. Why didn't they just tell her that Andy was a zombie and sh needed to GET THE HELL OUT!!! Why keep asking "Can you hear me?"
just blew it with the incredibly-stupid-people antics. I found the time in the mall to drag, just like in the original. The FX were pretty good, but I expected more gore for an unrated flick. And I COMPLETELY disagree with the "look" of the film...I found it to be extremely contrast-y (some outdoor scenes seemed washed-out) and dull. And finally, I'm "old school" when it comes to my zombies...THEY DON'T RUN!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks