What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Dawn of the Dead - Unrated Director's Cut (Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

On this subject we DO agree! Actually, Howard Sherman's strong work as Bub highlighted my problems with the human characters even more - the zombie was more "alive" and realistic than anyone else!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
And this is where I have to disagree with you, I thought the biggest weakness of the film itself (aside from the fact that I agree with the complaints of the characters in Day) was the score...which is a surprise as I really liked Harrison's score for Creepshow, but IMO it is uninspired, dated, drab 80's synth-a-pop and doesn't support the scenes it is in as much as it just "fills" the sound space.
Goblin's music was perhaps just as "dated" but it fit the mood better than Harrison's score IMO.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
The music in Romero's Dead movies have always been probably the weakest points. I know everyone seems to really love the Goblin score, but to me, bad music is bad music, and Goblin made horrendously bad music. The keyboard score of Day of the Dead isn't great, but it's not all that bad, either. It actually works in some scenes

I think a good part of the reason the Dawn of the Dead remake worked so well for me was because it was scored VERY well. It's a straight up ALIENS-style action flick, and the score is keeping up and enhancing the mood quite well. To me, it helped legitimize the complete left turn the movie had taken from the original into action movie territory. Helped ground it in that genre.

I thought the Goblin score simply got in the way, and the Day of the Dead score mostly just laid there, save for a few instances where it too helped ground the movie in that 80's horror genre. Day of the Dead's score worked in fits and starts. Dawn of the Dead's didn't work at all.

I wouldn't go as far as Vincent in saying Day is better than Dawn, but it is REALLY damned close. Land should be closer to what Day SHOULD have been before budget constraints cut the film down--and I can't WAIT to see THAT movie.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Man, I hate to say this, little off topic. However, Suspiria is on my list of worst movies ever. I know, I'll get flamed for this one, but I tried to like it. I just can't. :frowning:

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Let's set the record straight, "28 Days Later" is NOT a zombie movie since the "infected" are still alive. Anyway, I found "28 Days Later" a good movie, but last summer's Dawn of the Dead was excellent and heads above "28DL." Thanks for the fine review and I am anxiously awaiting the Unrated Director's Cut. Tuesday can't come soon enough for me. I hope they have it at Wal-Mart!!!

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I found the Unrated Director's Cut DVD of DAWN OF THE DEAD late last week, and had a chance to watch it this weekend. Very impressive, and a much stronger cut of the film than the theatrical cut- in particular, for the life of me I don't understand how anybody thought it was a good idea to cut the scenes where the group first enters the mall. The way the scene is cut in the TC is very jarring. It's a shame that a lot of people will be renting the R-rated version from places like Hollywood Video.

BTW, I have to disagree with one thing in the review re: the video quality. The reviewer writes that the print is "free from defects or damage"- well, the added 'Director's Cut' scenes are LOADED with little black flecks of dirt that aren't visible elsewhere. I'm surprised the reviewer didn't notice this, it's pretty obvious to identify the added footage, just look for all the black dirt. As far as color timing, they matched the look between the newly added scenes and the theatrical cut footage, but all that black dirt made the added stuff stand out otherwise.

Vincent

Gavin_L

Second Unit
will be picking this up tomorrow, saw it in theater's and love it. Sounds like the dvd is great.. Thanks for the review

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I suppose I'm not missing it and there really isn't a trailer for the film on the disc?

Also, thanks for the review. Trailer or not, you have me sold.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I cannot wait to get this. My only regret is that I have no idea when i'll find the time to watch it!

You can download a high-def version of the trailer on the offical website. No idea how to crack it so I can burn it to DVD tho.

-paul

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
The lack of trailers and TV spots is the only thing that annoys me about this release. Watching all the different TV spots, I was certain they'd be on the disc, along with the teaser and trailer. Its a shame that they're not.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

well i did get to watch the unrated cut.
i didnt really find it to have any moments with typical horror movie cliche shock scenes.

i dont think it had the quick edit style many ection movies these days have.
and while i'm no fan of the zombie genre', i did find this an entertaining movie.

the zombies werent the main focus of it, the characters were and these were good characters.

good movie
:star: :star: :star: out of 5.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Just out of simple curiosity, are there any reviews out there of the theatrical cut DVD? DVD Basen didn't point me towards any...

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Just picked up my copy (complete with an "exclusive" metal sleeve at Future Shop) and it's sitting here on my desk. I can hardly wait to get home. :D

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Hey gang, I just finished watching this after picking up the Unrated Director's Cut at Wal-Mart. I played it on my Samsung DVD-HD841 in DVI 1080i mode and the movie is gorgeous. My RCA 40" HDRPTV really displayed this movie well. The transfer is sharp and clean and I couldn't see much edge enhancement at all. Much, much better than it looked in the theater. I could see a few nuances in the movie that I didn't notice in the cinema. The zombie faces were much clearer and the surround sound was excellent. I did notice a few more gore scenes in the movie that I didn't see in the theater. I also liked the bit more character development in the DC. The extras are great as well, especially the "Last Days of Andy" part. This really adds some insight into the Andy character. I also enjoyed the extra "news" footage included in the extras. Since this is one of my all time favorite horror/action films I give the new DC DVD an enthusiastic :emoji_thumbsup: and :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: !!!

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Tony: Saw the FS ad, and wasn't sure if that metal sleeve was an FS exclusive or what. Do you get the standard cardboard sleeve as well (visions of T2 Extreme here)? Thanks.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Very good movie - and much better than 28 Days Later. This movie never lagged. 28 Days fell apart once they were taken to the army base. Loved it!!!!!!:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks