What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Cinema Paradiso" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
The original language for Cinema Paradiso is Italian.
Oh, duh. Chalk it up to sleep deprivation. :b

So then both versions of the film are presented in the original Italian I assume?

Can anyone tell me whether the subtitles are optional?

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I'd like to comment that for those who haven't seen the original version of this film, I think the longer version can be an involving and moving experience in itself. I have a feeling reactions might hinge on the way the love story is depicted, which is the main difference. I found myself interested in the approach the longer version took. Looking over the shorter version in retrospect, I also found "The New Version" to be more balanced, with approximately one-third of the film given to each of the three eras depicted from Toto's life.

KennethD

Auditioning
Ron:

Your review of Cinema Paradiso aptly captures my feelings about a wonderful movie I first saw in 1989. The Director's cut adds a bit more "dimension" to the aborted relationship of Toto, and has an improved audio track.

As a fellow film lover, I have spent hours viewing foreign cinema from around the world. There are so many films I could recommend you check out, but for starters, try:

Central Station (Walter Sallas, Director)

Jean de Florette (Claude Berri, Director)

Manon of the Spring (Part 2)

Regards,

Ken

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I watched this movie many times in 1989...an old movie house had reopened as a repertory cinema, and they showed the movie for months. Great film. I've no real interest in the longer version.

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
I saw this when originally released in the US. It was then, and is still now, one of my all-time favorite foreign films.

I'm not surprised that many HT enthusiasts here would have the same reaction to CP now, since it celebrates the magic of the movies so well.

Just a great, great film.

Jon Smith

Stunt Coordinator
The fact that we don't know what happened to Elena, gave the film a really sad feel to it, and the film feels like it ended on the right note and concluded naturally.
that is true.

But to be honest, i wasnt moved my the edited version when i finised the movie.

but in the DC/Extended because you see matters resolved between Toto and Elena, i found the very end scene a lot more emotional, because it was more happy, but also quite sad.

Larry Price

Stunt Coordinator
Just purchased this tonite in Costco for 17.99. Saw it for the first time last year on IFC. Im guessing that was the original/unextended version.

Also, the music theme is great. Josh Groban did an homage to the movie in his PBS special last year.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
There is no original theatrical trailer for Cinema Paradiso on the dvd. There is instead a trailer for the theatrical release of the "new" version of the film in America.

About the movie? You would be INSANE not to purchase this. Incredible, incredible film.

Jeffrey Bane

Agent
My favorite film of all time just got better. The extended version answers the questions I once had, and only adds to the hope and expectation of the 'Harvey Scissorhand's' version.

What was a great film is now glorious.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Beautiful movie. I had the priviledge of watching it for the first time last year in the theater, restored print and all. As much as I liked it, I was relieved to learn there was a shorter version of it, and even more pleased that it is now made available on DVD. I though the kid's adolescence and romance dragged for far too long and did not hold a candle to the charm of his childhood. I hope whatever was cut is from that middle section of the movie.

No other movie deals with the love of cinema like this one does. The emotional payoff, while predictable is very moving.

--
Holadem

Is the 174 minute extended version of the the film that is on side A on a single layer or is that side of the disc a dual layer?

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Ben-Hur is also a DVD-18. T2 was released as both DVD-18 and 2 DVD-9s. Superman: The Movie might also be a DVD-18, although I'm not a 100% sure.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I have loved the two films I have seen by Giuseppe Tornatore. This and Malena being the two. I have loved them both immensely. Great review Ron!!! Your reviews lately sure are spanning a vast territory. I'm so glad you loved this one. This one is a no-brainer purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks