What's new

HTF Poll: How do you have your surround system configured? Vote and you could win a $50 Amazon gift (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Man, I don't want bag on your setup; we all do the best with our space and budget constraints. But I thought Quadraphonic was sonically a terrible audio setup? Maybe I mis-remember my scattered audio-format readings?

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I have a 7.1 receiver, but I use a 5.1 configuration because I'm in an apartment. Furthermore, I have it connected in what sounds like an unorthodox way:

I have the two rear channel speakers connected to the "Surround BACK" ports for 7.1, instead of the standard surround ports.

The reason for this is I've found that on the few 7.1 releases I have, being the "Star Trek" trilogy of films and the season 1 release of "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation", the sounds you would hear in a 5.1 mix have been moved to the surround back channels instead, so if I have the speakers connected in standard 5.1, ignoring the surround back ports, I get that, I guess it could be called the "middle surround" sounds coming through, and therefore not representing the mix properly.

By having it connected this way, I am not missing any of the sound mix, and surround upmixing is just fine - everything is just fine and dandy this way.

I tried a 6.1 configuration once, but because the rear center speaker was directly behind my head when sitting on the sofa, I found the balance off, as well as I was always paying too much attention to what was actually being poured into that one speaker, especially for films with a monaural surround mix.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by DaveF

Honestly, there's not quite that much going on in the center channel (other than dialog) most of the time anyway. And unless you can set up everything perfectly w/ quality gear/speakers (for the additional channels), you're making all sorts of compromises anyway. If I'm gonna make compromises, I'd rather do it this way w/ phantom center mixed between 2 quality mains. Having a real sub (vs what many/most people probably use) could certainly help though, but I can't really crank the (sub) bass in my situation anyway -- stuff in the room do shake some during certain sound FX though, and that's good enough for me at this point.

_Man_

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool

And unless you can set up everything perfectly w/ quality gear/speakers (for the additional channels), you're making all sorts of compromises anyway. If I'm gonna make compromises, I'd rather do it this way w/ phantom center mixed between 2 quality mains.

I believe it completely - I'm in an apartment so there's definitely a series of compromises to be made, and I've found that there is more bass / power in using two large front speakers versus those plus a center, but that could just be because my center speaker is of a different brand and size to the front stereo. I use the center mainly because I'm just so accustomed to it being there, and also because it's not as powerful it makes for easier listening at night, especially if I'm watching something in 2.0 stereo using Pro Logic on it.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
So I am disqualified for only having two speakers? Sheesh...guess I'll go spin the new Fleshtones 45 on my record player... :cool:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Man, There are definitely compromises in my 5.1 setup due to the room size (surrounds are much to close to the listeners). :) The negative discussion I read about a 4-speaker setup may have been for a different setup. I've just had it stuck in my head that a 4-speaker setup has certain properties that make it inferior to other setups; better to use a stereo setup than a 4x configuration. In any case, if it sounds good, keep enjoying it :)

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
My getting a 7.2 (like sayiing that coz I got me twin subs) was actually a very pleasant accident. THe guy I bought the speakers from was getting rid of his whole system, so when asked if I would like to get the extra sub and 2 extra surround speakers, I asked for how much more. He said its free, so who am I to argue right?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Free is such a nice price. Congratulations.

Man, I lost track of what the 4.0 represents The two Vandersteens and what else? What was the configuration again? And how do you set sound options on your receiver? I know I could go back and re-read, but would rather just ask!

By the way, you can't do better than Vandersteens for enjoying a phantom center channel. Those speakers have always "imaged" beautifully.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I have a 7.1 system and am using it in a 7.1 configuration with rear/back channel speakers.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I'm using a 5.1 system but have the option for 7.1....however I also use 2 beastly SVS PB 12 Plus/2's as well. Hehehe they will move your jewels.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
5.1. A receiver upgrade would be to get the current sound formats, not for more speakers.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
7.2 system in the Main Room (HT) with Atlantic Technology 8200e THX Ultra 2 mains, an AT 6200e THX Ultra 2 for the center channel and four AT 4200e THXs for the surrounds (side and rear). Two sub are also in the system - a SVS PC-Ultra and an M&K MX-350THX. My main surround system.

5.1 system in the bedroom (Energy Take 5 system + Energy Subwoofer) It does a nice job.

2.0 system in the music room (conservatory) using Atlantic Technology's AT-1 H-PAS speakers (capable of flat output down to 30Hz) powered by an Outlaw RR2600 Retro Receiver. Main use is to listen to vinyl on my B&O Beogram 4200 Turntable with a SoundSmith Ultra Low Mass Moving Iron Phono Cartridge. Don't laugh. It sounds beautiful.

"pseudo" 7.1 Sound System in the Living Room using an Atlantic Technology SG-7000 sound bar and an Atlantic Technology SB-800 Subwoofer. I didn't want to set up another surround system in my house with more satellite speakers and this sound bar does an admirable job of producing room-filling sound.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Those of us without surround sound systems are not allowed to participate?

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
5.1 but looking to upgrade the entire setup in the not too distant future and relegate the current system to the basement for the youngin's.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks