What's new

Vote in our poll for a chance to win a $250 Amazon or Best Buy gift card (1 Viewer)

How often, if at all, do you watch a movie in the movie theater, before you watch that same movie at

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Persianimmortal said:
The point above, and similar to what Jason_V wrote, was the main reason that for many years, I went to the movies once a week, every week, with my friends. Oh boy did I see some absolute trash that way. And while I'd like to think it was just an excuse to socialize, in reality there's little chance to socialize when you're sitting quietly in a darkened theater with everyone staring at the screen. So we'd actually catch up for maybe 30 minutes all up during the night, the rest of which was taken up by the latest brain-cell-destroying blockbuster, and/or getting drunk at the pub.
Well, yes. We don't sit there and talk through the movie. In fact, the minute the lights go down for the trailers, we shut up. The socializing comes from from the pre- and post-show. When we go get lunch, do some shopping and make an entire day of it. Way back in the day, I went to the movies every week by myself. While I'm content to go alone, I wanted to share that with someone else. It's the shared experience-maybe I should have used that as the more specific reason.

Going to the movies with the group is a great lesson in compromise. I never wanted to see A Good Day to Die Hard, but since my friend did, we went. We both thought it was terrible...and he made it up to me by going to see Jack the Giant Slayer with me. And, alas, that was terrible too.

However, we have a good laugh that our first movie together last summer was Magic Mike.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
We still enjoy going to the theater to see the big "Tent Pole" movies released in the Summer/Holiday periods. For awhile there it had gotten to the point where our Home Theater was providing a more consistent presentation than the local theaters, but that has changed recently now that most theaters near us have digital projection.As for streaming: I don’t stream movies on our projector -- ever! In our house, streaming is mostly reserved for catching up with TV series on our iPads/iPhones. Our source for group movie viewing at home is still exclusively optical media (DVD/Blu-ray). If I have only a passing interest in a particular movie, I will consider streaming it, but only to my iPad.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Michael Elliott said:
I used to throw a hissy fit because of the "rude" people at a theater but it rarely happens any more. That's not to say it never happens but out the 61 movies I've seen this year there have probably been three where it pissed me off. Once, on DAWN OF THE DEAD no less, it got me to the point where I couldn't enjoy the experience. I don't go on Friday or Saturday night when teenagers might be there...
Yeah, I stay out during the weekend nights but I very rarely have a problem with people talking, etc. If people are talking for a prolonged amount of time, I'm not afraid to tell people to shut up either. I suppose doing that might catch me a broken nose or a bullet one day but the few times that I've had to do it, I've yet to have it not shame or frighten the talker into silence.

A frequent complaint about movie theaters that I see is how people are always talking on cell phones but I haven't seen or heard a person on a phone in a theater in years. I'm sure texting has lessened the problem but also, I think that it's an act that is so universally looked down upon that virtually no one does it anymore.

Plus, sometimes seeing a film with a crowd actually is a good thing. I've seen IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE countless times in my life but it was something special seeing it with a couple hundred other fans. The same with FRANK/BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN or seeing the impact TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD had on the hundreds who were there seeing it. It's cook experiencing a movie and coming to a forum to talk about it but it's something else to see what power these films have today in a group setting.
Jaws is playing near me in a couple days and I expect to have a great time. I've seen it a few times in theaters previously and the response to the movie is still incredible. As someone who knows the movie forwards and backwards, it's great to see it through the 'fresh eyes' of a crowd.

Jason_V said:
While I'm content to go alone, I wanted to share that with someone else. It's the shared experience-maybe I should have used that as the more specific reason.
Whether I'm with a friend or solo, I like seeing a movie with an audience. It doesn't alter my opinion of the movie but I like hearing what the crowd enjoys and responds to.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
Adam Gregorich said:
We aren't drawing any conclusions, it was just curiosity. I wanted to know how big your DVD/BD Collection was, one of the other guys was curious about 3D adoption and we lost an epic round of Rock, Paper, Scissors to the one who wanted to know about streaming.
So put up the other two polls anyway. I'm sure that you'd get lots of responses without the inducement of a prize. Or throw in a disk or two.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
David Weicker said:
I wish the first question had a breakdown between Classic films vs. Current films (released during your lifetime).
I voted as if we were not asking anout classic titles. It would be lower if they are included.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
ahollis said:
I voted as if we were not asking anout classic titles. It would be lower if they are included.
I included all my collection and ended up with about 30%. If I left out classic it would be at a full 100%

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Travis, I too keep hearing people say that they see people talking on their cell phones inside the movie theater. I have never, ever seen this and the closes thing is once during the trailer a guys phone started ringing so he got up and walked out to answer it. I'm not sure if these people are just "fearing" someone is going to do this but I've yet to have it happen.

I remember back in the early 90s when people could bring crying babies into movies and it was more common to talk or "be social" but these days are long gone. I do find it funny that most theaters have two previews asking people not to talk so I think most get the point. The few issues I've had has been with older people talking .

IMO the only dumb thing people do in movies today are show up 20-30 minutes late. This is 20-30 minutes INTO the movie, which I've never fully understood. I remember watching THE PAPERBOY and this woman came in about forty-five minutes late and then afterwards wanted her money back because the movie was confusing and didn't make any sense. I usually mind my own business but I knew the manager so I had to walk over and ask what she expected coming into a mystery film so late.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Michael Elliott said:
Travis, I too keep hearing people say that they see people talking on their cell phones inside the movie theater. I have never, ever seen this and the closes thing is once during the trailer a guys phone started ringing so he got up and walked out to answer it. I'm not sure if these people are just "fearing" someone is going to do this but I've yet to have it happen.
Some of my coworkers (and my father) say the same thing. We hit a pre-noon show every single weekend and there is never a problem with people on their phones. I'm sure the area has something to do with, as does the showtime.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Most films coming out these days are remakes, remakes of remakes, sequels, reboots, based on a comic book or a video game or an old tv show. The rest never seem to get to where i live, so i have to wait for the dvd. Did i mention those tiny screens at the multiplexes? I make exceptions for any film with Harry Dean Stanton.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
TravisR said:
A frequent complaint about movie theaters that I see is how people are always talking on cell phones but I haven't seen or heard a person on a phone in a theater in years. I'm sure texting has lessened the problem but also, I think that it's an act that is so universally looked down upon that virtually no one does it anymore.
Texting has actually made it worse! In a darkened theatre, especially one with stadium seating, if you have the misforturne to be sitting at a 3/4 angle directly up and behind a diehard texter, then that screen becomes an opthamologist-intense beam into your right or left eye.

How strong that light source can truly be was driven home at a midnight showing about a year ago when our local power went out plunging the theatre into total blackness. And yet within seconds, the combined luminance of hundreds of phones was enough to get everyone out of the theatre in record time without incident. On the way to the parking lot, everyone was chuckling about how this is one of the best secondary uses of such devices...in a pinch, you always have a flashlight.

I don't have any average screen luminance specs at hand, but those suckers are bright!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I love my massive DVD collection! But nothing can recreate the theatrical experience. I don't care how big your monitor is, how many speakers you have, it's still watching movies at home in your living room. I still get that tingle of anticipation before the curtain opens (yes, the movie theater I frequent still has a curtain).

To quote Pauline Kael: "In front of the movie screen, I'm still a kid. Movie love is abiding through out life".

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I don't go to the movies too often anymore. Most of the new big movies aren't of interest to me, generally. I watch a lot of oddball horror movies from past decades, and the theaters that do show these usually requires a midnight showing. So, I have to put a lot of thought into how much I want to see a movie this late and deal with the commute/parking/etc. As it is, the one theater that most typically shows these at midnights shows fewer odd titles then -- they've shifted more to "cult" movies that are more popular (80s comedies, things that'll bring folks in more, instead of something from Argento, for instance). I like being home when I'm not at work, it's my haven, and I've got a ton of movies sitting on shelves and in piles to catch up on anyways.

Other factors for me that actually trumps cost are the audience and theater itself. If I do go to see a "new" movie, I often wait a week or two so that the most annoying audience members will probably have gone already. And the quality varies at every single theater that knowing I have a good chance of not getting my money's worth weighs heavily on my decision to go out or not.

And, well, there's just so many crappy movies that keep coming out. I wouldn't mind seeing the new STAR TREK movie, but I don't feel I need to see it so badly that I can't just wait for the bd in a few months from Netflix. Heck, I just watched AMAZING SPIDER-MAN on Friday night, and I'm glad I didn't go see it at a theater -- it was boring! It used to be we'd have to wait a year +/- for a home video release of a title, but now? The release dates are typically announced at the same time as the theatrical release, and that's usually only a few months off. Time flies so fast for me now that it doesn't bother me to wait a little longer.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
My steaming is higher since I just bought some crazy nostaliga. Once I watch all 14 episodes of You can't do that on Television I'm likely to drop to zero. so they better hurry with more episodes so they don't make me a fippin LIAR! ... and WATER! and I DON'T KNOW! * hides undr the table *

Oh! And it's summer and all so... more movies for me in the theater, at least one more in IMAX 3D 3 hour round trip (just saw Trek there yesterday so it was worth all that drive). Probably see more. maybe... well, if the reviews are good. Or I'll see some locally. ...

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
ROclockCK said:
These days, I have a kind of 'means test' for theatrical viewings Michael:

[*]"Will this picture benefit in any way from being seen on the big screen?" Typically, this includes the handful of flicks that I might like to see in 3D or which are state-of-the-art in terms of their production/exhibition technology. Even if I expect to eventually buy it, I'm still in for the theatrical 'event'.
[*]"Is this picture likely to have any possibilities of repeat play?" If not, I'll typically catch it on a matinee or via the second run circuit and call it a day...just a nice, enjoyable time killer at the movies, but no chance of buying it for the home. Occasionally, I misjudge and discover a reel nugget that I also want to rewatch/own, but not so much anymore.
[*]"Has a home video release date been announced and are pre-orders already up?" If the answer is yes, and less than 3 months, then I might skip the theatrical showing and wait for the Blu-ray. If only a month or less, that response is almost guaranteed. Unless....
[*]"Will refusing to see this picture theatrically jeopardize my relationships with any companions this evening?" In other words, pure peer pressure here. Most of the pictures falling into this category I wouldn't have bothered with in any venue. Much trickier to qualify and quantify on the spot though, so invariably, it comes down to an "Oh what the h3ll..." type of choice. Often saves a lot of grief on the backend though, so it's akin to "taking one for the team."
[*]"What day of the week/time of day is it?" If it's an opening weekend Friday or Saturday evening, then forget it (unless question 4 comes into play). Just too many rude, noisy, 'lit-up' tweens and twenty-somethings to successfully ignore. If it's a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, then the tykes are out of the house but acting like they're still in it...equally distracting. Early week matinees or late showings are usually safe for movie lovers.
[/list]

Admittedly an inexact methodology, but it works for me...more or less...more often than not. ;)
Great post, along with your followup

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
sidburyjr said:
So put up the other two polls anyway. I'm sure that you'd get lots of responses without the inducement of a prize. Or throw in a disk or two.
We need something for next month! :ph34r:

Lee Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee F. Smith
I said that I stream everyday but I very rarely stream movies. I do not even have netflix but I do have Amazon Prime.

I primariiy stream sports (NHL & MLB) & music (Pandora & Slacker).

I chose 1% to 30% for the first question but I think I misinperpreted the question. I incorrectly assumed we were talking about new movies. Since I buy a lot of movies from the years that I went to the theater about 3 times a week, I should probably have picked 31% to 60%.

I haven't been to a theater since 2011.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Lee Smith said:
I haven't been to a theater since 2011.
You really need to get out see something in IMAX. I mean... I saw Trek IMAX 3D over the weekend, 3 hours on the road, cost me nearly $35 just to see it and it was still worth it. I had to pee about a 3rd in but I held it... couldn't figure out when to leave my chair! Didn't want to leave! Next time...DEPENDS!!

Really, the experience is just amazing. It felt like air was ruffling my hair during some scenes but I was wearing a ball cap! lol

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Thomas T said:
I love my massive DVD collection! But nothing can recreate the theatrical experience. I don't care how big your monitor is,
If you are using a monitor then I agree but if you are using a projector then I don't. Here is a story of my personal experience after seeing Lawrence of Arabia on the big screen.

I went to see LoA at our local theater late last year when it was shown and it was my first time seeing the movie. It was being projected 4K on a large screen but since it was 4K I sat a bit closer to enjoy it large and impressive. I bought the movie on Blu-ray but I held off watching it because my screen was only 8' wide and I sit 11' back and it deserved to be as impressive at home as the theater, minus the 4K part. I then expanded my screen to 11' wide and watched LoA again along with many other movies that can hold up to 11' wide at 11' back. So my family and I recently saw Iron Man 3 in the same theater as I saw LoA and I sat in the same spot. You know what I thought when the movie first started? "I wish the screen was bigger." Moving up wouldn't have worked in the theater because there was a gap between the seat I was in and the "pit seats" that is just too close. I now normally watch movies at home with a larger FOV than I do at the theater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks