What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Up (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Mike,

You either got an extra $10 off from Snow White (a Disney PR action), or (as in my case, if it was already shipped), they reserved it for you. The next order then automatically received the discount.

That's how it should have been (and how it did in my case indeed).

Cees

Loregnum

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
I have a very differing view of this movie and felt it overrated and a huge let down. Bad characters, mediocre dialogue and a story that started out well but came crashing down when they well, landed on land. This movie doesn't come close to the masterpiece that is Wall-E. A shame because I really was excited for it and expecting greatness but it failed miserably for me.

To each their own I suppose.

A great review and no doubt those who like the movie will love the disc.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolesrule

Mike, Amazon probably saw your name on the Best Buy no fly list.
I haven't been a regular here for quite a few years now (wow, they sure spiffed up the place, didn't they?), but it's good to see that this running joke is still going strong! Some things never change.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Just watched it again today, and I'm glad to say it holds up as well in 2D as in 3D. I was worried that it might look a bit like Coraline, that movie looked a bit off in 2D, I thought.
I also think it's still the very good combination of emotional scenes, comedy and action.

And as I was watching the complete end credits for the first time (I never do that at the theater, there's always a couple of people waiting to start cleaning up) I found out that the pictures shown in them are complementing the person credited themselves. So, the director of photography gets a couple of photos, the composer gets a picture of Carl and Russell playing the trumpet, and so on. Very clever.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Originally Posted by Brian Borst

And as I was watching the complete end credits for the first time (I never do that at the theater, there's always a couple of people waiting to start cleaning up)
You paid for admission to the movie, so why shouldn't they be the ones to accommodate you? As long as there was something on the screen that I wanted to see, I wouldn't allow the theater employees pressure me into misssing out on content that I paid good money to see.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by cafink

My family knows that I'm not about to move out of my seat until the final credit has rolled.

Pixar films always have great closing credits. And, think of all the films recently that have little surprises at the end (after the credits). Iron Man is the one that comes to mind first. The Producers is another.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
“Adventure Is Out There” is a fascinating 22 ¼-minute documentary detailing the fact-finding expedition many of the production team took to Venezuela with tour guide Adrian Warren as they explored the mountains of the region for visual ideas for the film"

This mini doc was great too.

I never heard of this part of the world before and seeing these mountains and learning about them was amazing to me.

wife and I watched the movie last night and really loved it
She usually isn;t very moved or impressed by many movies but she gave this 4.5 out of 5.
I loved it too.
The montage was about as good as anything I have seen before and it was heartbreaking.
The second act or middle of the movie was a little lacking for me and the dogs who could cook and fly airplanes seemed a bit more for the tots then the older ones.

I didn;t like it as much as last years Pixar but it still a great movie.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

You paid for admission to the movie, so why shouldn't they be the ones to accommodate you? As long as there was something on the screen that I wanted to see, I wouldn't allow the theater employees pressure me into misssing out on content that I paid good money to see.
I know you're right, but somehow the people in the theaters give me the exact opposite feeling. It doesn't really help that the credits are mainly seen as 'redundant' anyway, even though I always watch them.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Just watched it for the first time. My wife and I really enjoyed it. I was crushed with sadness at the montage. Seriously. A big tough guy just sniffling and tears rolling down my face watching that. I was not ready for such a sad bit. Really took me out of the next 20 min of the movie.
The dogs were funny, but "Bolt" gave me more laughs.

4/5

David Norman

Senior HTF Member

They should, but I can't believe they waited. Most of the time here the employess just come in and start cleaning up, flipping seats, calling across to the other guy, throwing things at the can, even to the point of not only walking in front of me but actually stopped in my line of sight. More than once I've muttered 'out loud' sometimes more than muttered along with a nasty glare and occasionally with a positive effect, but that time I lost it on the poor 17yo dweeb and dragged the Manager into the theater for a 'conference' though honestly I was the only speaking. Got a not so sincere apology and free ticket, but when I used the freebie, sure enough the cleaning crew started up as soon as the credits began.

Spoke with the same manager the next, showed them the email I sent to the Studio and to the chain's main HQ addressed to the VP and CEO (OK no way it made it that far), pulled up my Quicken Report showing how much (I + Family) used to spend there -- actually pretty impressive for a group of 4. I haven't been back despite 4 freebie in my pocket.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
If anyone was curious, Monster, Inc. has a $10 off coupon in-store when you buy both. I got the SteelBook edition, and will post pics when I can. What a fantastic movie!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Have mixed feelings about UP now having watched it for
the first time.

On the plus side, it's another milestone for PIXAR who
can't seem to do anything wrong. Their films have become
more perfected with each release.

Count me in as one of those that were pulled by the
emotional strings. A real testament to what great animation
can do with no dialogue to support it.

This is by far the epitome of Blu-ray presentations. I was
stunned by how beautiful this transfer looks. It is the very
reason why people who don't have Blu-ray are missing out
on something special. Just a marvel to look at.

I also kind of like the fact that Disney does this whole
NOW PLAYING IN THEATERS and COMING SOON TO

BLU-RAY trailer play. You don't see this much on Blu-ray and
I enjoy the aspect of having trailers playing prior to the
Feature Presentation --- as long as you can skip through
them (which was no problem here if one wished to).

Disney did a wonderful job with their packaging and offering
a DVD copy in the mix without robbing our wallets in
the process. It was a really nice Amazon deal to snag
this and MONSTERS INC. for under $20 each. Seems you
can get great deals on Disney titles these days and all of
us are appreciative of the great value the studio is giving
to consumers.

...but back to the film....

The problem I had was entirely with the feature itself. I just
didn't get into the movie as much as I had hoped. The
talking dogs took me out of the story and that kid was so
annoying that I wanted to give him a merit badge for being
a royal "PITA."

I'm making it all seem fare worse than it is. On a whole,
this is a marvel of a film to behold. I just wish it was a bit
more fun and a lot less talking dogs.

This is one to own!

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
Agreed about the dogs. Really forced humor there. And the "Squirrel!" bit was funny the first time, in the trailer.

I've seen the movie four times now (once on BD), and it's still a great movie, but the middle drags (for me) to a far worse degree than any other Pixar film I've seen. I never start thinking about the time while watching a Pixar . . . except this one. Every time.

I'd really like to see them tackle a completely silent movie. The first 30 minutes of Wall-E and the few montages in Up are brilliant filmmaking.

Oh, and I love Giacchino's score. Between this, Star Trek, Speed Racer, Ratatouille, The Incredibles, and the original score for LOST, we have quite the virtuoso composer on our hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks