What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Toy Story: Special Edition (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Holer /forum/thread/299025/htf-blu-ray-review-toy-story-special-edition/30#post_3673475

Shane D

Supporting Actor
about the free TS3 tickets. hows that gonna work on 3D viewings? just deduct 8$ from your ticket price?
normally when i use these for 2d showings i just hand them the coupon and i get a ticket, but here day shows are $7, with the 3D upcharge they are 10

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Shane D

about the free TS3 tickets. hows that gonna work on 3D viewings? just deduct 8$ from your ticket price?
I can't speak to this specific movie but deducting the price of the free ticket from the total is the way it has worked for me in the past.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR

I can't speak to this specific movie but deducting the price of the free ticket from the total is the way it has worked for me in the past.
Yup. It's usually a FREE movie ticket (up to an $8 value) and they just make you pay the diff.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
It's $8.50.

DMR gives you a code and a link to Hollywood Movie Money site. Put in the code. They ask for your name and a zip code. Then there's a list of theaters. They ask you to pick a theater. Not sure why because the pdf states that you can use the coupon at any participating theater and I can't see anything on the coupon that looks like it could be specifiying the theater I picked. They ask a couple other questions. I dl'd the pdf.

Caveat - after you put in the DMR code from the Blu-ray and you get the HMM code you do need to print out the coupon within a few days. The link will go dead after a few days apparently.

Manually enter the unique 16-digit card number and

your admission price up to $8.50 into your theater's

point of sale system like any credit card.

Certificate must be used in one transaction.

If the certificate value is less than your admission

price perform a split tender transaction and collect

the difference from the consumer.

BOX OFFICE EMPLOYEE INSTRUCTIONS

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
hey, just wondering why this didn't come with a digital copy, seems all of the pixar lately has been that way, two and three disc versions? and this one didn't, entered the code and got my tix for the next one already printed. but no on-line feature like TPATF or Up , just wondering

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Just picked these up at Target this morning and scanned through them. Matt is right on the money with the video and audio quality of this release, and as Adam mentioned, these are worthy upgrades to the original DVD releases. On my Ultimate Toy Box edition, the detail of the fabric on Andy's shirt and shorts are almost non-existent. On the new Blu-ray, you can just about see the threads in the fabric. The included DVD is sort of in-between the two.

Two things worth mentioning on this release, however.

1. As was done on Nightmare Before Christmas (and the recent theatrical 3-D release of these films), the opening logos have been replaced with the current ones.

2. The audio on the DVD defaults to DD 2.0, but this is explained in the Audio Setup menu. The reason is simple and understandable. The more likely place the DVD will be used is in a non-home theater environment, such as a child's bedroom, portable DVD player, laptop computer, or car DVD player. In this environment, a 2.0 mix is more appropriate.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Dvd players or tv's with a dvd player will just play the audio in whatever format the tv plays anyway won't it?
I have a dvd player on my bedroom tv and no matter what sound format i pick, 5.1 - 2.0 it still sounds exactly the same.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The 5.1 mix "folds down" to stereo via the DVD player, and actually throws a lot of data out in the process. Considering the Home Theater geeks that the folks at Pixar have shown us to be since the early days of DVD, they want you to hear the best possible mix for that specific environment. Hence, they created a specific 2.0 stereo mix (for both the DVD and Blu-ray, except the default audio for DVD is Dolby 2.0).

From the official DVD FAQ:

For stereo output (analog or digital), all players have a built-in 2-channel Dolby Digital decoder that downmixes from 5.1 channels (if present on the disc) to Dolby Surround stereo. That is, 5 channels are phase matrixed into 2 channels to be decoded to 4 channels by a Dolby Pro Logic processor or 5 channels by a Pro Logic II processor.

The Dolby Digital downmix process does not usually include the LFE channel and may compress the dynamic range in order to improve dialog audibility and keep the sound from becoming "muddy" on average home audio systems. This can result in reduced sound quality on high-end audio systems. The downmix is auditioned when the disc is prepared, and if the result is not acceptable the audio may be tweaked or a separate L/R Dolby Surround track may be added. Experience has shown that minor tweaking is sometimes required to make the dialog more audible within the limited dynamic range of a home stereo system. Some disc producers include a separately mixed stereo track rather than fiddle with the surround mix.

sam54

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck Merson
Actually I think I'm going to wait for the 3D blu-ray (2011). Have my 73" Mitsubishi 3D capable, Sony BDP-S470, will be getting the 3DC-1000 converter box to go along with the other two plus my Nvidia glasses. Have a few independently processed 3D titles and they look awesome when I put them though my HTPC. I've got to find one of those promo copies of Monsters Vs Aliens in 3D blu-ray that come with the Samsung starter sets. Anyone seen a standalone copy without have to buy the glasses-disk package?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This blu ray looks fantastic! But part of me is holding back until TS3 comes out on BD. I can't help but wonder if they'll be a Toy Box edition then? Or maybe they sell a 3 pack then and no new extras, so might as well buy now?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Has anyone determined if all the extras from the Ultimate Toy Box are carried over. Between the two separate movies, do we have everything on the Toy Box?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
No. There are several items from the Ultimate Toy Box that aren't carried over to the new Blu-rays.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Nelson Au ">[/url]

This blu ray looks fantastic! But part of me is holding back until TS3 comes out on BD. I can't help but wonder if they'll be a Toy Box edition then? Or maybe they sell a 3 pack then and no new extras, so might as well buy now?[/QUOTE]I think there will just be a 3 pack with no new supplements but even if I'm wrong, are there any special features that are worth passing on being able to get the two movies for $7 each at Toys R Us this week?

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by [b]Johnny Angell[/b] [url=/forum/thread/299025/htf-blu-ray-review-toy-story-special-edition/30#post_3674298]

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Travis,

Thanks, I tend to agree there might not be a new box set at the time of TS3. I hadn't looked into the deals at Toys R Us. Really, $7 each? I'll have to see if I can find all these coupons!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

Travis,

Thanks, I tend to agree there might not be a new box set at the time of TS3. I hadn't looked into the deals at Toys R Us. Really, $7 each? I'll have to see if I can find all these coupons!
Yeah, check out the Weekly Round Up (in the Bargains And Discounts section) for all the links and details. The way it works out is TRU is charging $21.99 each and they take $10 off if you buy both movies on one recipet and then with the Disney Rewards $10 manufacturer coupon for each movie, it works out to $14 plus tax.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Okay Travis, I looked into it. Some sites outside of the HTF say some TRU are not accepting both coupons. I guess I'll see what happens at the store. And I'll review the Bargains section and see how others are making out this past week.

Amazing price!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks