What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Toy Story: Special Edition (1 Viewer)

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by TravisR

^ Since the $10 coupons are manufacturer coupons, no store should turn them down because they get reimbursed by Disney.
They're manufacturer's coupons, yes, but many stores are leery about taking online coupons due to fraud potential.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
If you can find the 2 $10 coupons and the 2 $5 coupons, you should be able to get these for as low as $3.98 total at Toys R Us, like I did.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I did stop by Toys R Us today and I almost bought them, but there was no mention on the shelf that it was on sale. The pricing for each movie was $29.99. And it did mention the $10 off if you buy both.

And I walked over to Target to see what they had. They showed them as $22.99 and the $10 off for both. But they would not accept both of my coupons, they insisted the coupon as only good for one purchase. But they did say they'd allow me to buy each individually and use the coupons, but then I didn't get the $10 off for buying both. So I walked.

The coupons I printed say Coupons-INC on the right end as well as veri-FI. And does say Manufacturer's Coupon on top. Looks real. The small print says, "Limit one coupon per specified item purchased", to me that reads one coupon for TS1 and one coupon for TS2. I didn't read that till I got home. I think the cashier and her supervisor read that as only one coupon per transaction.

I'm going to check Toys R Us again tomorrow.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by TonyD

If you can find the 2 $10 coupons and the 2 $5 coupons, you should be able to get these for as low as $3.98 total at Toys R Us, like I did.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW. Must be another government bailout involved. Seriously though, that's great, Tony.

I ordered both from Amazon. Happy w/ that price, especially since they were delivered and didn't have to mess with coupons, installing print drivers, driving around and fooling with all this.

Have the Ultimate toy box too. Might even just go ahead and sell it. Bout to throw on TS2 and see how it looks.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by David Deeb

I ordered both from Amazon. Happy w/ that price, especially since they were delivered and didn't have to mess with coupons, installing print drivers, driving around and fooling with all this.
I did the same thing for the same reason, David. The only TRU is way out of my way, too, so it just wasn't worth the hassle. Besides, Amazon reduced their price by $2 on each title, so it ended up costing me $36 for both titles, which I thought was a fair price.

I am really looking forward to watching these films this weekend.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

Okay Travis, I looked into it. Some sites outside of the HTF say some TRU are not accepting both coupons. I guess I'll see what happens at the store. And I'll review the Bargains section and see how others are making out this past week.

Amazing price!
I had no trouble using both $10 coupons for TS1&2. They took them routinely and no supervisor intervention was required. I did the pre-order on Monday and took advantage of the pre-order deal to pick up Cars for $5. All together I paid about $21.50 for all three movies. I can sure live with that.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sounds great Johnny! I'll see what my Toys R Us will do. What is this pre-order you did to get Cars?

Buying BD's at Toys R Us is a new thing for me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Nelson Au /forum/thread/299025/htf-blu-ray-review-toy-story-special-edition/60#post_3674675
Every once in a while...TRU is the place to go.

I remember they had some spectacular deals with Eps. 1, 2 & 3 of the Star Wars saga hit DVD.

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all---

For the record, Best Buy accepted the two DMR coupons. I tried to buy TS & TS2 at Target, but the two closest Target stores apparently didn't stock the Blu-Ray packaging, only the standard-DVD packaging. [You probably already know that Disney issues two versions of each movie---a DVD + BR set that comes in standard DVD packaging and a BR + DVD pack that comes in BR packaging.]

Even though there aren't many of them, I enjoyed the new features on the two sets, particularly the tribute to Joe Ranft, which was really touching. It's obvious that his influence continues to loom large over Pixar.

The BRs for both films look and sound great, but I was shocked that each is essentially a single-disc BR release [the DVD is handy for watching in the car, etc., but it doesn't bring anything new to the table in terms of features]. That seems a little small for such groundbreaking and popular films. But then, as others have noted, it's likely that we'll see some sort of larger set after TS3 is released. Maybe a SUPER Ultimate Toy Box set in time for Christmas?

Regards,
matt

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Nelson Au /forum/thread/299025/htf-blu-ray-review-toy-story-special-edition/60#post_3674675
You pre-ordered TS1&2 putting down a $5 deposit on each film and they gave you $15 off any Disney movie costing more than $19.99 (I think). So when it rang up, it cost $15. Two $5 deposits, than $15 off Cars, than another unexpexted $5 off Cars. I ended up paying $5 for Cars.

After paying the balance for TS1&2, my grand total was about $21.50 for the 3 movies.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Okay, good deal, I never did this before, went to Toys R Us, they had the blu rays, got the $10 off for buying both and they accepted my coupons with no hassle. The clerk was really nice and said it's an amazing deal she wants to take advantage of too. Told me that everytime a Disney film is released, they have these great deals there. So the next Pixar or Disney release, I may opt for this option!

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Mark-P

My Denon AVR registered it coming in as a discrete, single back channel.

I was under the impression these were not discrete. Both TS & TS2 produce the same 6.1 issues as the T2 Skynet Edition(a matrix 6.1 track) in my audio chain, an Oppo 83 bitstreamed to a Yamaha 663. Oppo says 5.1 when you hit display on the player, the receiver shows 6.1 and there is no sound coming out of my rear back speaker. Also the tracks are listed as 5.1 ES which to me means matrix.

Len Berkoski

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody know if the codes for the Disney Movie Rewards and TS3 $8.50 are mutually exclusive? For example, if I input the DMR, it will disable the tickets? I would assume not, but you never know ...

Arild

Supporting Actor
I'm surprised no one mentioned yet that they changed the beginning of the movie. They replaced the old Disney castle logo with the new one and added the Pixar logo (which wasn't there originally). Normally, I'd say updating the studio logo isn't that big a deal but in this case it was unique in its transition into the film itself. Remember how the castle disappears into the blue wallpaper in Andy's room? Now it's a simple dissolve from the Pixar logo. Kinda jarring when you know the movie.

Still, a great looking Blu and seeing the movie again was loads of fun. I had me a private little marathon viewing of both movies, both of which were of course every bit as enjoyable as ever.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Originally Posted by Arild ">[/url]

I'm surprised no one mentioned yet that they changed the beginning of the movie. They replaced the old Disney castle logo with the new one and added the Pixar logo (which wasn't there originally).[/QUOTE]Todd mentioned it in

Arild

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by cafink

Todd mentioned it in post 48.
Ah, so he did. I think it warrants a little more attention though, since the studio logo in Toy Story is a bit of a special case.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
The Toy Story films were recently re-released, in 3D, in theaters. Did that release retain the original logo, or did it use the new one as seen on the Blu-ray? Anyone know?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks