What's new

3D How the Studios, Theatre Owners, and TV Manufacturers All But Killed 3D (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Both "Maleficent" and "Planes: Fire and Rescue" are showing up in 3D on Vudu as pre-orders right now, BUT neither of the Vudu apps in my 3D TV nor 3D Blu-Ray player will work with their 3D- I just get a "3D Not Supported" message. I might rent 3D movies through Vudu if I could, but I will NEVER switch to buying movies that way anyways.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Jesse Skeen said:
3D WILL be killed if the trend of 3D movies being released only in 2D continues (Frozen, Maleficent, and now Step Up All In). Do we really WANT to see that happen? If the studios really wanted to "PUSH" 3D, they'd be doing it.
Maybe its just me but, after watching these Disney 3D films on Starz I have no desire to purchase them on Blu-ray.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
FoxyMulder said:
Avatar 2 will give 3D a huge boost in the arm, include the two further sequels to that and it will ensure continued interest in 3D, it's clear Disney are still releasing 3D in the European markets but they must also have some plans for future USA releases otherwise why suddenly start with the region coding of those titles, something up with that, it's a sign of intent i think.
Which 3D movies has Disney start to lock region B? Has Maleficient been confirmed region B?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
bruceames said:
Which 3D movies has Disney start to lock region B? Has Maleficient been confirmed region B?
I don't know about that one but i thought it had been confirmed with the recent 3D release of Ratatouille and Need For Speed.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
SFMike said:
From those who seem to know, Disney Home Video wants to go to an all streaming presentation of their video releases. It has been said that this is the reason you can stream "Frozen" in 3D and not buy it on bluray 3D.
Then why did they release it on 3D Blu-ray everywhere but the United States?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I don't know about Disney 3-D but we're busier than ever.

With DRAGONFLY SQUADRON having its first-ever 3-D release in three weeks; THE BUBBLE* coming in November; 3-D RARITIES due next spring and at least three other projects on the table, we've got a very full plate!

*Not to be confused with UNDER THE DOME.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Bob Furmanek said:
I don't know about Disney 3-D but we're busier than ever.

With DRAGONFLY SQUADRON having its first-ever 3-D release in three weeks; THE BUBBLE* coming in November; 3-D RARITIES due next spring and at least three other projects on the table, we've got a very full plate!

*Not to be confused with UNDER THE DOME.
I am only interested in 3D for a handful of modern titles and the classic titles like you deal with. I do think 3D is dying, however. It was only two years ago a that Martin Scorsese and Peter Jackson were saying that 3D was the where it's at. Now, Walmart and Target have stopped selling 3D televisions in stores and its looking like manufacturers are only offering them for screens at 65 inches and up.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Josh Steinberg said:
I think it's been cancelled - you won't have to make that disclaimer for much longer :)
This is why i never bothered [SIZE=14.3999996185303px]after the first few episodes of[/SIZE] watching it,* oh and the fact i know how the book ends.

*I thought it might get cancelled.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
bruceames said:
Ratatouille 3D, distributed by Disney/Buena Vista has current releases only in the UK and France, both having locked Region B Blu-ray 3D discs.
Maleficent 3D distributed by Disney/Buena Vista is available for release in a few Region A countries like Korea, Hong Kong, Brazil & Mexico.
United States doesn't have Blu-ray 3D releases for either title.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Josh Steinberg said:
I think it's been cancelled - you won't have to make that disclaimer for much longer :)
The number 1 show for CBS is being cancelled? CBS has renewed it.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
JoeDoakes said:
I am only interested in 3D for a handful of modern titles and the classic titles like you deal with. I do think 3D is dying, however. It was only two years ago a that Martin Scorsese and Peter Jackson were saying that 3D was the where it's at. Now, Walmart and Target have stopped selling 3D televisions in stores and its looking like manufacturers are only offering them for screens at 65 inches and up.
This is NOT true. The Target in my area sells them..I have a friend that purchased a 47" 3D set there.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Yesterday I visited the Sony Store at the Stanford shopping Mall in Palo Alto California. This store was renovated, I think, last year and is quite the showroom of Sony tech. Sony's series of new 4K TVs were well represented and beautifully displayed. To me the most striking thing about all the sets, cameras and gaming machines, software on display was I found I had walked into a world in which 3D had never existed. There was no mention of 3D capability displayed on ANY of the 4K large screen sets on display. Many of the sets had computer stations in front of them in the viewing area where you could bring up interactive descriptions of the set's features and none of them mentioned 3D capability. The 3D camcorder is also gone as was any displays of 3D blu-ray software.

I know I have read that Sony continues to put 3D capability into some of their high end sets but here was a large display of their newest 4K offerings and 3D was no where to be found. So I guess this is what we can expect from Sony in the future. From this one store in an affluent area of Silicon Valley it appears Sony 3D is officially dead. Sony joins with Disney, two of blu-ray 3D's major supporters a couple years ago, in putting blu-ray 3D in an early grave here in the states.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Maybe at the Sony store they are not promoting 3D, but in the weekly flyers Best Buy has a Sony 65 inch 4K Smart 3D for $6999.98, and P.C. Richard also has a Sony 65 inch 4K Smart 3D for $3798.91 - different models of course.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
How much more does it cost to equip a TV with 3D now anyways? Why not just make ALL TVs 3D capable, and just charge more for the glasses if they still want to try and gouge people?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Jesse Skeen said:
How much more does it cost to equip a TV with 3D now anyways? Why not just make ALL TVs 3D capable, and just charge more for the glasses if they still want to try and gouge people?
The passive glasses are almost free. I think but I have not tested, that you can use the 3D glasses that are given out at movie theatres and they will work on passive 3D sets.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
I e-mailed my local theater chain because I was unhappy they were not showing the HFR version of the new Hobbit movie in their venue closest to my town. Also, I mentioned about the poor scheduled times they use when they do screen a film in 3D.(You may note I have talked about this before) Anyway the district manager was kind enough to reply and I thought I would share it with you.

"I apologize that our show times for 3D films are not to your liking at the Airport Stadium 12. We do have full 3D show times for “The Hobbit” and some other blockbusters on its opening week. There are times when the studios give us a limited quantity of prints, forcing us to show a 2D/3D combination of a film. Usually when this happens, there’s a big gap between 3D show times like you’ve stated. We have stayed true to the wishes of the studios by playing 3D films even when they are not as popular as their 2D counterpart. This is especially true for kid’s film as the cost for families increases dramatically. As for HFR presentations, Roxy Stadium 14 is currently the only location in our circuit that offers this to the public. My apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Informing our guests is one of our top priorities. As you’ve mentioned, our box office cashiers do confirm with our guests when they purchase a 3D film. This is not to deter the patron from watching the movie, this is to inform them that the movie they are watching is indeed in 3D. This is due to many guests returning for refund or exchange after they find out that they have purchased tickets to a 3D show. By confirming with our guests, it limits the amount of refund and exchanges made at the box office. The reality is there are only a select few that would opt to see a film in 3D instead of the 2D version. Sometimes the price difference is not even the reason, some just don’t like having to wear the 3D glasses or that it’s not very comfortable. Whatever the case may be, judging solely on attendance alone it is evident that the majority of the theatre industry’s guests prefer watching 2D films over 3D."

This is a very well run Northern California local theater chain and I thought their reply was interesting as I get the impression if the studios did not "request" it they would no longer show films in 3D. I'm a little confused about the "limited quantity of prints" part because these theaters are digital so I don't understand how "prints" work into this. But They usually show 3D at like 5:00PM and 9:50PM, not the best times if you work for a living, and usually only during the opening week.

Regarding the box office confirmation of the 3D ticket purchase I can totally understand but twice I have seen the box office person almost try to talk the patron out of a 3D showing. "You know this showing is in 3D, if you go to the next showing in 30 mins you can see the regular version and save money." To me that is more then just performing a double check and is certainly not promoting the 3D showing.

The most disturbing part of this e-mail to me was "Whatever the case may be, judging solely on attendance alone it is evident that the majority of the theatre industry’s guests prefer watching 2D films over 3D." I wonder if this is the industry wide feeling out there in the theatrical distribution world? If so we will be seeing less and less 3D product. I appears Disney and the TV manufacurers certainly feel this way about 3D home video and have acted on it. I still think there is a demand out there but as there is no promotion of 3D in general I think we will see it continue to wither.

I wanted to see Big Hero 6 in 3D but could not go the opening week and the theater dropped the 3D showings on week two so I will wait and buy the 3D blu-ray, however it looks like I will have to import it due to idiotic Disney Home Video management. In my area it appears you are forced to jump through hoops if you want to see 3D at the theater or at home. So bottom line, it appears this theater chain considers 3D dead and only has token showings to appease the studios. To them the end can't come to soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks