What's new

3D How the Studios, Theatre Owners, and TV Manufacturers All But Killed 3D (1 Viewer)

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
SFMike said:
The saddest thing to me is how the channel just disappeared from the DirecTV lineup. No formal announcement, no discussion on the internet or on the boards, just poof it's gone and no one seems to care. Just another failed investment for Discovery Communications, Sony and IMAX to write off their 2014 taxes. Another indication for the industry to point to as a reason to say 3D is dead.
It was removed from my Sony 790 player a few months back. When I inquired with Sony, their response was basically "You can get 3D from YouTube...so go away." (And they won't even allow a firmware update to allow access to Netflix 3D. It will be a cold day in hell before I ever buy another Sony product.)

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Bob Furmanek said:
And how many vintage 3-D films from the vaults of Columbia/Sony did you see on that channel?
3net had all original programing except for a number of excellent old IMAX 3D docs. No movies were ever produced for the channel and no older material was licensed. There were some nice british docs shown. It's interesting that Sony didn't find the synergy to get anything from the Columbia/Sony vaults but, as usual, corporate mismanagement reigns. I believe the whole venture was to promote 3D TV sales and since there was zilch cross promotion and when 3D TV sales didn't turn around the whole TV industry they quickly aimed their sites on that new saviour of TV sales 4K. Of course 3D looks even better in 4K but as we have seen the manufacturers have pretty much written off 3D as a marketable feature. It's just there if by some strange chance you can stomach those glasses and we all know the public hates the glasses so 3D capability is now in the fine print.

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
The 3net programming lives on Comcast's 3d Channel and some on Netflix (Scary Tales). I would like to see blu-ray releases of their programming especially the Jewels of the World Fjordland. I'd also like to see best of releases from ESPN 3D Sky 3D and an Olympics compilation. The 3net Facebook was even dissolved. Wow.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
phillyrobt said:
The 3net programming lives on Comcast's 3d Channel and some on Netflix (Scary Tales). I would like to see blu-ray releases of their programming especially the Jewels of the World Fjordland. I'd also like to see best of releases from ESPN 3D Sky 3D and an Olympics compilation. The 3net Facebook was even dissolved. Wow.
Thanks for the info. I too would like to see some of their programming released on blu-ray. To bad "Scary Tales" was one of the worst shows they had on, figures it is still around. "Jewels of the World" was very well done. I don't see much hope in these turning up in this economy. If only there had been real promotion things might have been different.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
phillyrobt said:
Yes, I have Comcast and Nextflix. Large selection of 3D titles but most of them are not mainstream.

This is a little off topic but, I thought it was comical when I heard a commercial for Charter Cable boasting about there 30mbps internet when Comcast is 105mbps.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Kyrsten Brad said:
And a obvious but vastly understated reason, no one wants to wear those dorky heavy glasses every time they watch a movie.
They're pretty stylish these days and lightweight.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
3D WILL be killed if the trend of 3D movies being released only in 2D continues (Frozen, Maleficent, and now Step Up All In). Do we really WANT to see that happen? If the studios really wanted to "PUSH" 3D, they'd be doing it.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Jesse Skeen said:
3D WILL be killed if the trend of 3D movies being released only in 2D continues (Frozen, Maleficent, and now Step Up All In). Do we really WANT to see that happen? If the studios really wanted to "PUSH" 3D, they'd be doing it.
Jesse, I think you love 3D as much as I do and from your past posts you appear to have been following 3D over the years since the 80's and maybe before. The first movie I remember as a toddler was a 3D showing of "Fort Ti" and being afraid of those arrows coming out of the screen. I was hooked from there on. I certainly don't want the current age of 3D and blu-ray 3D in particular to end. I even have my own 3D cameras and video camcorders. I'm invested!

I feel the problem we have now is the greediness of the corporations that now run Hollywood. Quality and customer satisfaction/service are no longer valued, only profits. If we want good writing and thoughtful acting and directing you are better off these days watching HBO or Showtime. Hollywood's idea of a brilliant idea is a reboot of something we are already familiar with. Anyway, if any product doesn't make a truckload of money it is written off and junked to keep those stockholders happy. Blu-ray 3D hasn't lived up to this high standard so it is another semi-popular product to be axed. I mean they would like to see the end of blu-ray so that they could stream their way to higher profits without having to deal with "costly" physical media. What we want as consumers doesn't really count. We need to keep those CEO's salaries high. (Michael Eisner's net worth is a billion dollars thanks to this kind of thinking while at Disney.)

To get to my point, if there is one, what we need is a niche company kind of like Pioneer and LaserDisc was to produce 3D blu-ray discs for the remaining 3D fans. It's great that Olive Films, Kino Classics, Shout Factory and others are putting out 3D blu-ray releases and I hope they continue to do this and prosper. Let a smaller distributor give us “Step Up All In” , “Need For Speed” and “Maleficent” and see if there is enough support out there to really continue to supply the 3D watching public with product. This company could do the marketing and customer support that the corporate giants feel is non-profitable. I think if this sort of provider doesn’t come about we will possibly see only 3D streaming in the future, if that. Also, if Asia decides it is tired of 3D this current cycle of 3D will probably end.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
One thing of note: 3-D still has nor proliferated to rural theaters. My local theaters in Northern Wisconsin show every movie flat. I have to drive 60 miles to get to a 3-D screening (if I ever wished to do so). There are entire counties that are flat only.

However, the prices also haven't shot up. I can still watch a new film for a $5 adult ticket price at the local cinema.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Jesse Skeen said:
I think the word foist is more appropriate to this 10 year round of 3D. What has prolonged 3D's life was the cheap and easy way they had to convert 2D to 3D and it may keep it going indefinitely given how many people on this 3D forum consider conversions acceptable. If the discriminating have no problems then the general public won't either. However, the general public has also voiced their opinion that the days of high premium pricing for 3D are numbered. Clearly from Disney's actions, they are a follower and going for the cash grab and don't really care if 3D succeeds or not. I think many studios are heading towards that philosophy. But if studios don't produce at least a few 3D movies a year, the theaters are going to be pissed given the extra money they had to spend to support 3D. So I expect 3D to limp along at least another 5 years and then either it hibernates again or we reach some stable state of a few mediocre 3D conversions a year with or without some small premium.

I don't expect 3D to be on every movie like color or surround sound. There are too many people with issues watching 3D even if it were free.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Chuck Anstey said:
So I expect 3D to limp along at least another 5 years and then either it hibernates again or we reach some stable state of a few mediocre 3D conversions a year with or without some small premium.

Avatar 2 will give 3D a huge boost in the arm, include the two further sequels to that and it will ensure continued interest in 3D, it's clear Disney are still releasing 3D in the European markets but they must also have some plans for future USA releases otherwise why suddenly start with the region coding of those titles, something up with that, it's a sign of intent i think.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
FoxyMulder said:
Avatar 2 will give 3D a huge boost in the arm, include the two further sequels to that and it will ensure continued interest in 3D, it's clear Disney are still releasing 3D in the European markets but they must also have some plans for future USA releases otherwise why suddenly start with the region coding of those titles, something up with that, it's a sign of intent i think.
IMO Disney's short-range Intent: U.S. streaming-3D exclusivity. Long-range: Stream only, No physical media.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Paul Hillenbrand said:
IMO Disney's short-range Intent: U.S. streaming-3D exclusivity. Long-range: Stream only, No physical media.
Could be the case.

If they get a success with that in the USA then Europe and the world will follow and cats and dogs will start sleeping together, the world will be doomed and all those giant spiders currently coming into the house will take over, it's the apocalypse man.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
FoxyMulder said:
From those who seem to know, Disney Home Video wants to go to an all streaming presentation of their video releases. It has been said that this is the reason you can stream "Frozen" in 3D and not buy it on bluray 3D.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
FoxyMulder said:
Could be the case.

If they get a success with that in the USA then Europe and the world will follow and cats and dogs will start sleeping together, the world will be doomed and all those giant spiders currently coming into the house will take over, it's the apocalypse man.
It's worse than you think: those giant spiders are looking for mates.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks