What's new

HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY - DVD Comparison needed (1 Viewer)

Hal M

Agent
Has anyone compared the older DVD release of HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY with Fox's new release? Is it the same transfer? Better? Worse? I have the old, wondering if I should get the new. If it's better, I'll want it.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
While I never owned the original disc, it is my understanding that the transfer on the newer disc is a marked improvement (it is definitely not the same transfer).

Ron's review of the new DVD is here.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I only have the old one. We're not much help, are we? :)

I didn't really think the older release was so bad, although it's been a while since I looked at it. It was originally released right around the same time as "Gentlemen's Agreement," "Miracle on 34th Street," etc. The only title I really recall being disappointed with amongst those was "All About Eve." The old DVD of that is a real mess. That's the only one I upgraded.

BTW, anxiously awaiting "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" to complete the three I need to get "Sunrise."

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Ron's review of the new DVD is here.
Well, that's not much help for Hal's question. Although he wrote a fine review, Ron didn't compare the new DVD to the old and had actually never seen this classic movie before watching the new DVD.

As Robert briefly confirmed (I think), the new DVD has noticeably better video quality. DVD File's review does compare the two releases' quality, as does DVD Verdict's.

Of course, with the new release, you also get two nice extras in the commentary track (including film historian Joseph McBride and actress Anna Lee Nathan) and the AMC Backstory episode about the making of the film. And it's cheap!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The problem with the original release of How Green on DVD was more in compression that transfer or film element.

The new release eliminates a number of annoying artifacts which were found in the original.

Fox has done their homework.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Ron didn't compare the new DVD to the old and had actually never seen this classic movie before watching the new DVD.
Well I know, but given some of the comments in that thread, I thought it was better than nothing. :p)

Of course we now have Robert Harris's opinion, which should pretty much clinch it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Hal M

Agent
Thanks, everyone. Guess it's time to place my order. This is a film I love so the better it looks, the happier I am.

Thanks again,

Hal

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks