What's new

how good is the pioneer VSX-1014 going to be compared to the elite..... (1 Viewer)

Yung

Stunt Coordinator

I pretty much agree with this. I think one of the biggest reasons, the VSX-41 probably doesn't sell well is that even though it is probably a fine receiver in itself, many people didn't think it was up to the quality of the elite line and was not worthy of the Elite tag. On the other hand the 52TX seems to be worthy of the Elite tag and those who want to get a Pioneer Elite and the extra year warranty but don't have the budget for the 54TX or 56TXi, may still opt for the 52TX over the 1014TX. Personally, I am still deciding between the 1014TX and the Elite 54TX.

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Pioneer has finally posted details of the 52TX on its website. Its basically the same as the 1014TX with the following differences from what I can see based on publicly available information.

1) 2 yr warranty on 52TX vs. 1yr on 1014TX
2) High Gloss finish and Elite tag on 52TX
3) RS-232C port on 52TX
4) Multi-Room/Multi-Source Input/Output on 52TX
5) 12-V trigger on 52TX (didn't see this on the rear panel diagram of the 1014TX)
6) Extra monitor output for Multiroom/Multisource on 52TX
7) Extra channel of preout on 52TX (8 vs 7 for the 1014TX)
8) Transformer stabilizer on 52TX (unknown if 1014TX has this)
9) MSRP of $1,000 vs $650 = $350 difference although street prices can differ by only $250-$350 from authorized dealers to as little as $150 from unauthorized internet dealers.

So it seems like a little bit more connectivity on the 52TX, cooler look and extra year warranty. The Street price difference is about $250 between the 52TX and 1014TX. If the difference in price was around $125-$150 from an authorized dealer, then I might consider the 52TX.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Yung,

Like we've found in the AVS thread, both the 52TX and 1014TX have the same connectivity in terms of multi-channel inputs and pre-outs (5.1 multichannel in, 7.1 pre-outs). The 1014TX does lack the analog audio and composite video outputs for multi-room operation as well as the RS232 port and 12V trigger. In my setup these features would go un-used and over no value to me. I like the look of the Elite and an extra year warranty is nice too, but not for the price difference between these units.

Also the street price difference is closer to $300 - $350 depending on where you shop and assuming you shop at authorized dealers. I got my 1014TX for $425 + tax ($446 after) and it's available online for $450. The 52TX is selling at Tweeter/HiFi Buys for $800 and they won't budge on price. The dealer that ordered my 1014TX for me had the 52TX for $800 as well, but would negotiate (so probably $725 - $750).

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Stephen,

I was quoted $692 and $705 shipped for the 52TX from two authorized Elite dealers and $800 at an authorized retailer within driving distance from me, hence my $250-$350 price range difference between the 52TX and the current deals on the 1014TX. I have also seen a bunch of unauthorized internet dealers with the 52TX for around $550-$600.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Y'all

Been waiting to upgrade for years. STILL have no dts! I have a good old vsx-05 elite which has served me well for years. I think the 1014 will be a good jump.
How's everyone liking theirs..?

Thanx, D

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I should be able to chime in tomorrow, as that's when mine is scheduled to arrive at my local dealer. If I don't have too much homework tomorrow night I should be able to get everything set up and running.

Chuck_W

Second Unit
Thanks Stephen - really looking forward to your thoughts on this one, and comparisons to your Elite.

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Stephen, I'm definitely looking forward to your first impressions on the 1014TX as well. I'm especially interested in how it compares to your VSX-43TX. I'm going with the assumption your Elite 43TX sounds pretty similar to the 53TX and the current 54TX.

I'm still deciding between the 1014TX and the 54TX (and possibly the 52TX if I can get it within $125-$150 of the 1014TX price).

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Historically Pioneer's non-"Elite" middle/higher models have always offered outstanding bang-for-the-buck, going all the way back to the beginning of the "Elite" line. My old non-elite VSX-D606S is an outstanding reciever.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Well i picked up my 1014TX today at my local dealer (only 1 day later than expected, can't complain too much). It took me awhile to get it hooked up because while i had things apart i decided to install a new longer component cable going from the receiver to my projector. Installing the cable meant actually building the cable first, which took time, then running the cable which took time, then finally getting everything hooked back up and all my cables tidy (OCD is killer) which took time as well.

I then ran through all my input assignments and tested all the channels to make sure everything was hooked up correctly. Then I went through the Auto MCACC. Took a lil longer than I anticipated but no more than 5 - 10 min. I had to go through Auto MCACC twice because the first time the gain on my sub-amp was set too high (MCACC had sub level set to -10db). After adjusting the sub-amp gain and going through it again I had to manually set my speaker sizes to small.

After that I tried out the first few min of LOTR ROTK. Just as good if not better than my 43TX with smoother panning from right to center to left and also from front to back (i'm guessing due to the Auto MCACC).

I then switched to TV. In the past i've used PLII Music for all 2ch sources (except actual music which i leave stereo, ironic eh?). I always thought PLII Movie mixed too much into the center and PLII Music gave much better steering from R to L while still keeping dialogue in the center. To my surprise plii Movie sounds much better on the 1014TX, better than PLII Music for 2ch sources like TV. I don't know if it's some change inherent in PLIIx, something to do w/ the receiver, or some byproduct of Auto MCACC. Now PLII Movie sounds like PLII Music used to, good steering with the dialogue still well centered. PLII Music now keeps too much of the dialogue in the R/L channels and makes voices sound smeared across the entire front.

One new feature I really like is the ability to set the receiver to be able to drive 6ohm speakers. My mains are 6ohm and can dip to 4ohm at certain frequency ranges. This caused the 43TX to shutdown at EXTREMELY high volume, but never at volumes I would listen at. Regardless, I used the bi-amp feature of the 43TX to take some strain of the front channels and the shutdown problems were eliminated. On the 1014TX you can set it to drive 6ohm speakers, so I didn't have to use the bi-amp feature and there are no shutdown problems. I'm guessing in 6ohm mode there is some kind of current limiter, but it doesn't seem to noticeably limit power output in any way. I would, however, be curious to see the 8ohm power output and 6ohm power output to see if their is any current limiting going on.

The 1014TX and the new elites have FINALLY added an OSD. It's only used for setup (no volume or source info) but makes setup much easier compared to reading the display, especially at 15ft from the receiver and partially obstructed by a coffee table.

In the AVS thread concerning this receiver and the new Elite line there were several people who felt the 1014TX remote was sub-par. I think it is well laid out and comfortable in my hand. The LCD only indicates what source is selected, but is still helpful. It is a learning remote and also has many preset codes, so it seems to be very versatile. I'll stick with my Pronto, but it's really not a bad remote. Consequently, I didn't have to change any remote functions or re-program any functions on my Pronto going from the 43TX to the 1014TX.

All in all this has been a worthwhile upgrade from my 43TX. I'm confident the amp section is nearly identical and the features gained are all great. When considering I'll probably come close to or break even once I sell my 43TX then it's an even more worthwhile upgrade. I would recommend this unit to anyone looking in the sub $1000 range. Above $1k i would look at the Denon 3805, but below that point this and it's Elite counterparts are the best value out there. The 54TX or 56TXi may even be better choices than the 3805. There's nothing out there, however, I see that can compare to the 1014TX at less than $500.

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Stephen,

Great to hear your impressions on the 1014TX. Its certainly good news that it is an improvement or worst case comparable to your 43TX.

Good to know the 1014TX has OSD, I've read elsewhere (maybe over at AVS and hometheaterspot) where it was mentioned there was no OSD.

OneCall is out of stock of the 1014TX right now and no date for getting more stock in. They said they sold 13 units recently, but I think I can still submit an order for it.

Chuck_W

Second Unit
Stephen - thanks for the impressions on your new 1014. Can you let us know how it compares to the 43tx for music?

Does the auto-mcacc equalize all speakers or just the center and surrounds to match the fronts?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I can't compare back-and-forth because I don't have any sort of switching device. I also don't do alot of 2ch listening. I poped in a few CDs I'm very familiar with and things sounded the same. I couldn't pick out any qualities that were better or worse, I'm guessing it's the same amp design or perhaps only slight changes over the past few model years.

Auto MCACC equalizes all channels to flat in room response. There is also an option to match the center and surrounds to the fronts, similar to the way Manual MCACC worked on the 43TX, but automaticly.

Chuck_W

Second Unit
Thanks...I don't do much 2-channel listening either so your general impressions were just what I was looking for. I'm glad the Pioneer system has a "front" equalization setting. With the Denon AVR-3805 I had for a few weeks, I wasn't very happy with what the "flat" setting did to my main speakers, but I was pleased with the match-to-fronts equalization.

Appreciate your time and answers - keep us updated!

Rolando

Screenwriter
Was considering the VSX-D814-K/S A budget amp but his looks tempting. how much better would you say is the VSX-1014. I was going to pay around $400, is this worth the extra money?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The 1014TX would be a very noticable step up. It's truly an Elite level receiver and an amazing value. Much stronger amps, better processing, and the addittion of Auto MCACC which takes all the guess work out of calibration as well as taylor the receiver for your room. Once it hits the multitude of internet vendors i'm sure its price will drop to the $400 range, but at $450 it's already a steal.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Anyone know of any canadian E-Tailers? I would love to shop for this stuff online but from a Canadian site in CAnadian dollars. anyone?

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
They are out of stock at both One Call and Vann's, but I believe 4electronicwarehouse, another authorized internet dealer, still has them. Man these babies are selling like hot cakes.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Wow, vanns had them in stock yesterday. I can ses why these are selling so well, they are an absolute steal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks