What's new

how good is the pioneer VSX-1014 going to be compared to the elite..... (1 Viewer)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Go figure, the 10% off coupon just expired from Best Buy a few days back. For anyone concerned with buying this receiver locally for a good price, my guess is that Best Buy will offer another 10% promotion within a few months.

Chuck_W

Second Unit
Today on the BB website it's on sale for $474.99...they are not offering free shipping though.

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
As a matter of practice, whenever I purchase something over the internet, especially from unauthorized dealers, I always try to do some due diligence about the retailer I am buying from. I would usually check the Better Business Bureau website www.bbb.org and other ratings sites such as www.resellerratings.com.

http://www.bbbnewyork.org/businessre....aspx?id=24783

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller6402.html

You can get this unit from authorized dealers for about $450 shipped free (Onecall, Vann's - although they are both out of stock at the moment - should have more in about 2 weeks).

You will also be surprised that you can get reasonable prices from authorized dealers who are willing to negotiate. However, if you don't live near any authorized dealers then the Internet may be your only option. So, what I am saying is do your homework before you buy.

Ned

Supporting Actor
Here's what I've found regarding DTS and DPLIIx.

With a DTS 5.1 dvd, it will set to either plain DTS or DTS+Neo 6 if you enable "extended surround".

With a DTS-ES dvd (Blade 2), it will set to DTS ES Discrete only. Neo 6 can't be toggled (pointless since it's discrete already).

You can toggle THX for either, which does decorrelation to slightly differentiate the mono signal.

With a Dolby 5.1 dvd, you can use DD-EX, D+DPLIIx Movies (only if 2 surround backs are connected), or D+DPLIIx Music with either 1 or 2 surround backs.

THX can be layered with D+DPLIIx if 2 surround backs are connected, if not it's just THX EX or THX if extended surround is disabled.

I listened to just the 2 surround back channels with Blade 2 in DTS ES Discrete and Star Wars AOTC in DD-EX and D+DPLIIx. There actually isn't constant material in these channels, and there is very little directionality. Rarely do you hear a distinct pan through these channels in DPLIIx and when you do it's somewhat vague. So although the 1014 can't layer DPLIIx on DTS, you still get sound from both speakers in DTS+neo 6 or DTS+neo 6+THX mode. I think you'd be very hard pressed to hear the difference when all the speakers are playing. Even playing alone I could barely hear any directional cues in the 2 surround backs. If it really matters to you, play the Dolby track and you can do the full "7.1" monty.

I think the most important thing is to have 2 surround backs as they fill the gap better and you avoid the problem of a single surround back sounding like it's in front of you rather than behind (the speaker directly behind problem). Either of the 7.1 / 5.2.1 schemes helps to fill in that horseshoe-shaped soundfield that occurs with plain 5.1

Rolando

Screenwriter
Looks like I will be opting for the 52TX. The difference is $150 from my local dealer and I like the look, name and the extra year warranty. It's a 3 year warranty on the Elite's. Did not need the multi-room but now I am sure it can find it's use.

Now for speakers...

My local dealer is offering a "deal" on some speakers but I have never heard of this brand.

Anyone hear of Wharfedale? Looking at the Diamond 8 series which I have figured is not a model from this year. Heck the pamphlet he gave me dates from 2001.

Price however is really good as far as I can tell. About $1500 (Cananadian so about $1100 US) For:
Pair of Diamond 8.4 for front
Pair of Diamond 8 DFS for surround
Diamond 8 Centre
and For the sub:
Polk Audio 404

Anyone heard these? Is this a good deal? I did mention I wanted to keep it under $1500 for the speakers and sub.

Any suggestions? It's a small room.

Thanks.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Rolando,

Actually, the warranty for Pioneer Elite receivers is 2 years, not 3 years. Or, at least it's that long for products purchased in the U.S. Does Canada have a longer warranty for Elite products?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Looks like the 1014TX is available for under $400 now online. Search Pricegrabber for "Pioneer 1014" and you can find it as low as $392. It's an insane deal at that price.

Rolando

Screenwriter
well compared to that price I guess I would be paying $200 more for the 52TX but to be honest I cannot find a price match for that here localy. I called Pioneer and if I buy from the US, no warranty.

I cannot find the 1014 for $600 here in Montreal or I would take it.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Ah, being outside of the US can make things a bit more tricky. Still not sure if i'd pay $150 more for the Elite, but that's a personal prefference. I would make sure that whatever avenue you went was one that gave you 100% assurance your warranty would be honored.

Rolando

Screenwriter
that's not a prob. part of the reason I am opting for the 52TX actually. I have been buying Elite products from them for the last 15 years so I am not worried.

john_FE

Stunt Coordinator
One thing I noticed when looking at Pioneer specs is there is a digital processor difference between the 1014/52tx and the 54tx.

Under Digital Engine the 1014/52tx it says Motorola 48-Bit Processing

Under 54 tx is says Dual Motorola 48-Bit Processing

Would this effect the sound?

In other words does the 1014 sound the same as the elites if they have the same guts?

I guess there is a sound improvement when you move up to the 54 tx with advanced Mcacc and dual processing.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Hmmm... now you got me thinking. Is the 1014 REALLY good and is the Elite 52TX equivalent OR is the 52 TX just barely an Elite just just a slight cut above the 1014.

In other words how big the difference in quality between the 52TX and the next one up (54TX I think).

decisions, decisions...

john_FE

Stunt Coordinator
Thats what Im saying, the Elite 54tx may be a cut above as far as sound quality. Of course thats a very large price difference between the 1014 to the 54tx.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I replaced a 43TX w/ a 1014TX. The 43TX is of the same build of the 54TX and i really saw no step down when i went to the 1014TX. I felt the amp section was on par and the features (mainly MCACC) made things blend better. The 54TX's main advantage would come from the Advanced MCACC, I don't think it has any big advantage in amplification or signal processing outside of Advanced MCACC.

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
If anyone is interested, Pioneer now has the 52TX manual on its website for download. It should be pretty similar to the 1014TX. I notice its 79 pages as opposed to the 95 pages for the 54TX manual.

Those of you with the 1014TX, can you tell us sitting on the fence if there are anymore differences between the 52TX and the 1014TX highlighted in the manuals than already discussed in this forum.

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
In the 52TX manual it says the RS-232C connector is for "future improvements" whereas in the 54TX manual its says the port is used for connecting a personal computer for graphical output when using Advanced MCACC. So, it seems to me the RS-232C connector on the 52TX isn't used for any graphical output of MCACC and for now is a useless feature except maybe for custom installers.

Users who are viewing this thread