What's new

Horror Fans: Is DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK (1973) on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Anybody think there will finally be a firm release date announced , sometime in the next 2-3 months ???? Im getting anxious !!!

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Not that I know what's being done with it (if anything), but I have to think WB would release it in September (as they did last year with SOMEONE'S WATCHING ME!, FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE, etc), to take advantage of the pre-Halloween marketing window (when most of the major studios release their catalog horror flicks). If so, I'd guess we'd hear word about it sometime in the May-July timeframe.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Yeah, thats when im guessing there will be an announcement, may- july , possibly even august, if theyre going for an october release.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well apparently someone posted this on youtube..
ok, but i don't know if watching it as 9 minute clips is gonna work for me.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I have no idea how you guys could sit through the whole movie on you tube,it had horrible picture quality , even for you tube standards! I gave up at around 20 minutes.As much as I love the film, I couldnt watch it . Anyway,the only thing that keeps me confident at this point, that Warner will release this in the fall, is Twilight zone the movie wasnt announced till the last week of July. Once we hit August , and there is no word, I hate to say it, but you can then at that point, kiss this title goodbye for 2008 !!!!!!

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Nearly every studio has announced their halloween dvds for this year , except Warner.But then again, they announced Twilight zone the movie last year, with only 2 months before the release date !!!!!!!! So, hopefully they havent forgotten this movie.So what does everyone think, will they release this dvd at last ????????

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Wow, we are now into July. This is always the last month for Warners announcements, of their october horror dvd slates.If they dont announce, Dont be afraid of the dark this month , no chance till 2009 !!!!!

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
They just announced six but all Best Buy only titles.

There are rumors going around that more horror titles are going to be BB deals so perhaps Warner could make a set of TV horrors.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Still no announcement for this ?? Ill give it another week, then im sure it wont be coming this year either, very dissapointed.

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator
Just announced: Guillermo del Toro will produce a remake of ABC's 1973 telefilm DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK for Miramax. Guillermo will adapt Nigel McKeand's teleplay alongside Matthew Robbins. Robbins worked on MIMIC with del Torro, and co-wrote and directed DRAGONSLAYER.
DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK will be directed by comic artist Troy Nixey.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
First of all, this is tremendous news! Can you imagine what
Guillermo del Toro can do with this remake?

Secondly, this explains the delay in Warner releasing this to DVD.
I would think that they are going to time the original 1973 telefilm
with the theatrical remake release.

My guess is, pending how long it takes to make this new film, we
may be waiting at least another year or two for the 1973 telefilm
release to DVD.

....of course, all this is pure speculation based on how the studios
usually market their releases.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well, he is not directing it.
what has he produced besides the orphanage that was good.

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator
Ronald, I totally agree that this is most excellent news! I have very fond memories (nightmares!!!) of this film from when I was young and I have not seen it since I was a child in the 70's. I have avoided watching it on YouTube. I really look forward to del Torro's re-imagining and hope to one day revisit the original on DVD.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Thats good to hear that he is attached to the remake, but if theyre going to time the original dvd with this thats terrible, only because the remake could be at least a year before it comes out, if not more.I hope this isnt the case, we have waited forever as it is.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
The sad thing is that even if this gets released, there are so many excellent horror tv-movies that will never get a release. The amazing thing is if anyone even puts out flawed copies of it, the studio will jump down their throat legally. Then they'll bury it forever. In effect, they are fighting not to release the movie on dvd. Sometimes I think copyrights are the worst thing ever invented.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
According to imdb, the remake doesnt get released till 2011 !!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant believe Warner is going to make us wait till then, for a dvd of the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks