What's new

Horror Fans: Is DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK (1973) on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I wonder what condition most TV movie elements are in? I doubt preserving them was ever given much thought, which may be what's holding up their release on DVD.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Per last evening's chat:

(RonEpstein) You announced in a prior chat that the 70s TV movie
"Don't Be Afraid of the Dark" would be considered for release shortly. We know a theatrical movie remake is forthcoming. Has that changed
your plans to release this TV movie in the near future?

(WHV) We're waiting for confirmation on the theatrical film before announcing our plans.
You can read the entire transcript of the chat here

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I've never seen this. But hell, Kim Darby? I'm a fan. But those amazon prices right now! It'll be good to buy one for less than it would cost to take her out to dinner at a fine restaurant.

But any project this director is tied to will be an event. some good names behind it. Dragonslayer is a fav of mine.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Well, you never know. They still don't have LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH: THE REMAKE out. But I've already watched my DVD of the original 4 times. :D
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Also, del torro has at least 3 or four projects in the works, before he could even start on the remake, so it will be a miracle if its even 2011!!!!I cant beleive Warner is going to wait forever just to do a tie in.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I suppose now that the Warner Archives website has
been updated that I can officially let the cat out of the bag....

CLICK HERE

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Cool.

No date yet but they are taking preorders. Hopefully they'll have the good sense to get it out by Halloween.

I'll add it to my possible October purchases.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
If it is up for pre-order than the release date (lol) will be the first Tuesday in August or August 4th. Yes this is on my to buy list along with three other title now listed for pre-order. I have to say that I thought of many titles when Ron whetted my appetite on speculation and this was not one. Pleasant surprise. Thanks.

Also maybe Warner's has some surprises up their hand for latter down the road and closer to October.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Had to revive this to say that I just watched the Warner Archives Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, and boy is it, uh, dark. Though it goes against my grain, I had the new plasma cranked up in brightness/black level (it's not calibrated yet) just to discern anything at all going on in shadow...and just about the whole movie takes place in shadow or outright darkness. I have to wonder how this played, over the air, on 1973 TVs.

I have friends who claim they were quite traumatized by this. Seeing it as an adult, there's no traumatizing me now but I have no problem imagining the impact it must have had. There's more originality and craft here than in many other such flicks, and the sound effects coming from those nasty little creatures are great. Also enjoyable is an extra strong dose of the 1970s in this one, in the house interior, the people themselves, and the utterly unironic use of "women's lib" in dialogue. The inclusion of William Demarest is a treat, and his accent and general manner of speaking are another nice link to that and earlier eras of our past.

Recent viewings of a few of the late-1970s and early-1980s TV movie thrillers have been a revelation. I know I enjoyed a few of those in their day (e.g. Trilogy of Terror), but what I mostly remember is scorning the TV movie for so many years. Well, I still do, because in spite of their promise, their general tone hasn't changed. But something nice was going on with some of the thrillers during that time frame. Hard to back up this kind of statement, but they seem a little more daring or groundbreaking for their time. At any rate, this early one was most enjoyable.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I saw this when it originally aired the first time, I was 8 year old and it scared the crap outta me.

Saw Trilogy of terror then too but that seemed silly to me and wasn't scary.

Still haven't opened my dvd of Dark yet, too afraid.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
If you get this month's issue of Fangoria, there's a full page ad for Warner's Archive horror flicks, and there's cover art for a DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK Remastered Special Edition, which, as I take it, is supposed to be up for order on 10/26, but I have seen no indication yet of it on their site. Perhaps, the bumping of the remake out of it's initial January release date affected this version, too. Have to wait until next week and see.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I sent them an email a couple of hours ago, asking if this might be true. But, I tried this maneuver before and the reply I know I'm gonna get back is basically going to be, 'Sorry we don't comment on pending releases.'

But, anyway, here's to hoping.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't want to say anything official that I don't know

100% about....

...but let's just say that a remastered retail release of this

title has always been a very strong possibility. In fact, I
would go out on a limb and say that I am confident what
you saw is true.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I never doubted what I saw wasn't true, but whether the pushing back of the remake has affected its pending release, since I can find no pre-order of it up at their site yet. But, in light of your post up there, Ron, I'm confident, now, that come 10/26 it will be ready to buy. I'm just curious what else they've added to it, since it stated on the cover, SPECIAL EDITION; a commentary, a featurette on the pending remake, an interview with Kim Darby, etc?

The cover was kinda cool, too. It's the same one they've got for their "standard" DVD, except tinted red.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Good to know these MOD programs are fully embrasing the double-dipping trends of the past for pressed discs. Maybe they should accept the old DON'T as a trade-in discount for a new remastered edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks