What's new

Hooking Dreamcast up to Mits 55807 (1 Viewer)

William Ward

Supporting Actor
What's the best method to hook the DC up to the my widescreen TV?? Also, does the DC have a 16/9 mode??
Thanks
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't really have a 16:9 "mode", but some games can be made to render that way. A 16:9 screen doesn't actually have any more pixels than a 4:3 one; they're just shaped differently.
I mean, if you wanted to, you could build an Atari 2600 game with a 16:9 mode. 16:9 vs 4:3 is almost purely a software issue.

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
If you had a Diamond or platinum plus, the absolute best way would be to use the VGA input - in short, it ROCKS.
I THINK you could do this: get a VGA converter for the DC and then use a VGA to component breakout cable and hook it to the HDTV input. I think you'll then get 480 progressive scan signal...
Not sure on that though - someone else may know for sure, but this is the reason I got a 55857.

Leroy

Second Unit
I don't think you'd get a true progressive scan signal since the Dreamcast doesn't support it. But it certainly should look great ruuning thru the VGA box. I have mine hooked up to my Mits 46807 with just the composite cables and it looks great.

Nathan A

Second Unit
I have a 55807 and have it hooked up with S-video. I think trying to buy any type of converter to run into the component inputs would be more expensive than it's worth. Dreamcast S-video cables can be had now for as cheap as $3.00. I paid $10.00 for my Pelican cable, and it works great. It's not a huge improvement over composite, but definitely noticeable.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't Audio Authority make a box that converts the VGA output to component? I was looking around the page but I'm not sure i found the right thing ( http://209.248.228.2/vgacom.html ).
Anyway, for a Mits, I think Wolf hit the nail right on the head. Get a VGA adapter & and a VGA breakout cable & run it into the BNC inputs on the tv. I haven't tried it, but I remember this topic coming up a while ago.
-Dave
------------------
DVD List

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
I don't think you'd get a true progressive scan signal since the Dreamcast doesn't support it. But it certainly should look great ruuning thru the VGA box.
Nothing could be further from the truth. Dreamcast does support 480p gaming, that's the number one reason I still buy DC games to date!
Troy
Truly enjoy 480p gaming with DC, VGA adapter, VGA breakout cable and Mits 55805 HD RPTV!
------------------
quote::My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Dave,
That would be it. Hopefully he won't have to spend all that money for the convertor if he has a VGA input or if his RBGHV connection is open.
Tory
------------------

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
Honestly - if you ever seen Soul Calibur in 480p glory, you'd never go back to anything less. It's OUTSTANDING.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
I'm currently using a S-Video connection. I got the box that has the VGA, composite, and S-Video connections on it. My RGB/HV connection is taken by my HDTV receiver. The only thing I have open is a standard component input. It will do 480p although I'll need to find a VGA to Component converter. Do they even make them??
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Dave,
That was funny! :)
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Troy
------------------

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Is there a smacking head smilie/icon???
That's expensive though....Maybe for Christmas.
Does the VGA connection make the solid reds and blues look better??? I notice on my extra monitor that the solid colors are smooth but on my 55807 there's black x's throughout the color.
Would the VGA connection keep the colors right? If it won't, then it's not worth it to me because I get a viewable picture with the S-Video cable.
An example would be the Red jerseys of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on NFL 2K1 or the Yellow pants of the Michigan Wolverines on NCAA Football 2K2.
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
William,
Check this one out...
bashcomp.gif

If you're an EBay'er, you can find either the RCA version or the Audio Authority box for less than $50 usually!
Here's one starting out at $9.99 with no reserve!!! Audio Authority for $9.99
Does the VGA connection make the solid reds and blues look better??? I notice on my extra monitor that the solid colors are smooth but on my 55807 there's black x's throughout the color.
Would the VGA connection keep the colors right? If it won't, then it's not worth it to me because I get a viewable picture with the S-Video cable.
An example would be the Red jerseys of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on NFL 2K1 or the Yellow pants of the Michigan Wolverines on NCAA Football 2K2.
Absolutely yes! Component video carries the best possible color resolution available. Richer colors, deeper blacks, somewhat smoother image.
Troy
------------------
[Edited last by Troy LaMont on October 04, 2001 at 10:45 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks